Rust on intel processor voided my warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muntasir2000

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Does Intel's CPU warranty void due to rust or moisture? My retailer store told me that my Core i5 CPU is damaged due to atmospheric moisture and it violates warranty policy. So, I am not getting any. He told me that my CPU was sent to Intel and Intel denied it's warranty. It's ridiculous. Can it really happen that my CPU is damaged due to ambient moisture? And it's out of coverage of warranty? Please help.

A trillion thanks in advance.

Full story: :hello:

I was out for like 3 weeks and didn't use my desktop for that time. I returned home and encountered there is no signal on monitor. I thought it was a RAM loose connection or dust on connectors. I disassembled all parts and reassembled again. That problem persisted. It automatically powers down after a few seconds. I sent my MB and CPU for warranty and they replaced the MB, not the CPU.

Solution
where did the moisture come from? also which part of the cpu rusted?
its odd but as far as i know the heat spreader is non corrosive/corrosion resistant. they are copper with a thin layer of nickel used to stop tarnishing and even if you lap it , it would take 5+years b4 any visible signs would be noticeable.
the rest of the cpu is copper gold and plastic laminate. there is no iron on a cpu so i dont get where your saying its rusting.
my guess is they guy took 1 look at it saw that it was corroded and thought to himself its not possible to get this kind of damage just by leaving it turned off for 3 weeks... he probably didnt believe you when you said that so didnt bother contacting intel, gave you an excuse so you would leave instead of...
Intel is just being nasty like some board makers who find some unusual wear on a board that you can swear wasn't there when you shipped it. But they also have to deal with overclockers, people who use truly substandard power supplies to save a few dollers, etc. You are not alone.

muntasir2000

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

My retailer told me so and denied my warranty. I don't really believe him.

where did the moisture come from? also which part of the cpu rusted?
its odd but as far as i know the heat spreader is non corrosive/corrosion resistant. they are copper with a thin layer of nickel used to stop tarnishing and even if you lap it , it would take 5+years b4 any visible signs would be noticeable.
the rest of the cpu is copper gold and plastic laminate. there is no iron on a cpu so i dont get where your saying its rusting.
my guess is they guy took 1 look at it saw that it was corroded and thought to himself its not possible to get this kind of damage just by leaving it turned off for 3 weeks... he probably didnt believe you when you said that so didnt bother contacting intel, gave you an excuse so you would leave instead of telling you that its probably your fault and having an argument in his store.
seriously m8 cpu's don't rust even when you use direct water cooling. so what really happened.

Solution
Something about this doesn't sound right and I have to wonder if we are getting the whole story. I have never seen or or of a CPU rusting. The chip itself is layers of thin plastic and the IHS is copper with nickel coating. I can't see how the CPU can rust unless you are running computer on the beach or under the ocean.There really isn't much we can do I would call Intel and see what they say.

ram1009

Distinguished

I know what it means. It's just not a word I've heard used in the electronics industry in the past 40+ years. Gold is usually said to be plated or more often flashed. I think gilded is used by jewelers.

Maybe that vender was crooked and just kept the cpu for himself. He should have at least returned the old one for you to keep, even if it was bad. I sent in a p4 directly to Intel, and had a replacement in about six days. Next time do this yourself. It's not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.