Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphic Card Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 14, 2012 4:13:00 PM

I have a HP Pavilion a1630n with With Windows 7 32bit 4gb Ram 500W power Supply I had a ASUS GTS450 DDR5 1GB that needs a 450W Power Supply it ran for 15 months one day I got a black screen with a message no video source, I
I purchased a new ASUS GTX550 DDR5 1GB that needs a 450W power supply and the computer did not detect the new hardware, I return that and got a MSI N550GTX 1GB DDR5 that needs a 400w power supply
and it also was not detected, I did get a Radeon HD 6670 2GB GDDR3 card and that works
is the power supply bad?
is the PCI Express slot having a problem?

More about : graphic card problems

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 4:28:39 PM

Since the 6670 works fine, you can rule out the psu and the pci-e slot right?

Your issue with the GTS450, sounds like a driver issue.

Did you plug in the 6 pin power cable to the GTX550ti's that you couldn't get to work?

The HD6670 is the lowest power of those cards and doesn't require a 6 pin power cable.

Never buy a DDR3 card, the 1GB DDR5 cards are much faster than the same card with 2GB of DDR3.
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 4:52:47 PM

when I switched over to the monitors video connection, there was a message that the GTS450 was not found
if you refer to the 6 pin that drives the fan, yes I did
yes the DDR3 card in much inferior that the GTS450
why did it not find the new MSI card?

thanks for your reply
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 5:34:37 PM

The 6 pin doesn't power the fan, it powers the video card.

What do you mean by "why didn't it find the msi card"? I thought you said it couldn't find the Asus or MSI card.

And what do you mean by "doesn't find"? You mean you don't get video or the computer doesn't identify it by name??
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 5:45:10 PM

when I installed the new MSI video card in the PCI slot
the computer does not find that I have new hardware installed in it
either the new ASUS or the new MSI

the 6 pin I did plug in I thought it was for the fan did not know
it was also for the card
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 6:07:05 PM

Ok, that' why you say it doesn't work is because it doesn't say new hardware found??

I'm not getting it. Install the video card, then install the drivers. If your getting video on your screen it's detected.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 6:34:29 PM

the 6 pin powers the card as a whole. the PCI-E slot can only give a limited amount of DC current to the card. the 6/8pin connectors fill in the gap of energy the card needs to work under load, whether the energy is being used for the fan cooling system, or the actual card. For instance, ASUS DCII cards usually have dual 6/8pin connectors on certain 1 pin models
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 7:23:51 PM

geekapproved said:
Ok, that' why you say it doesn't work is because it doesn't say new hardware found??

I'm not getting it. Install the video card, then install the drivers. If your getting video on your screen it's detected.



When I install the video card the computer does not detect it, the screen is black
I have to switch to the computers video connection to see the desktop
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 7:25:27 PM

Is the fan on the card spinning?

What is the model of your power supply?
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 8:11:17 PM

Deemo13 said:
Is the fan on the card spinning?

What is the model of your power supply?


Hi Deemon, yes the fan spins
the power supply is Antec BP500U
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 8:28:06 PM

js4759 said:
When I install the video card the computer does not detect it, the screen is black
I have to switch to the computers video connection to see the desktop


The computers video connection? You mean integrated motherboard video?

Your problem is completely whack, your video card works, then it doesn't work, then you get a new one, that doesn't work, a second new one doesn't work, a third one does work and your integrated video works.

I don't know man, can't be mobo cause other card works, can't be psu, can't be the video card, and it can't be the monitor. Makes no sense unless your not hooking up the pci-e power cable to the video cards that don't work.

Id try pulling the cmos battery for 5 minutes and then trying. Don't know what else to tell you.
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 8:38:04 PM

geekapproved said:
The computers video connection? You mean integrated motherboard video?

Your problem is completely whack, your video card works, then it doesn't work, then you get a new one, that doesn't work, a second new one doesn't work, a third one does work and your integrated video works.

I don't know man, can't be mobo cause other card works, can't be psu, can't be the video card, and it can't be the monitor. Makes no sense unless your not hooking up the pci-e power cable to the video cards that don't work.

Id try pulling the cmos battery for 5 minutes and then trying. Don't know what else to tell you.


thanks for all your replies, and all your help
Yes I do mean the integrated motherboard video]
what will pulling the cmos battery for 5 minutes do?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 8:50:46 PM

Reset your cmos.
m
0
l
!