Unplugging computer while its on ? Is my Computer damaged

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I asked the question the systems thread because its the most general and since it relates to my entire computer and not just one thing.

Ok , I have my computer plugged into a power brick , Which is then plugged into an electrical socket, The electrical socket is very loose but I put the plug in as tightly as

I could , But when I'm sitting down my leg or foot will lightly tap the power chord on the power brick and my computer and everything attached to the power brick will

shut down , modem , router , etc. Now this happened at least 6 times now, and its really pissing me off , It basically gets unplugged , the Power brick , Now I know doing

this can cause harm to a computer , Power Supply failure , Someone said if the hard drive stops so thoroughly it causes it to scratch the hard disk and this happened about

6 times now , I'm seriously getting nervous , the computer started up fine , and Nothing seems to be wrong but do you think anything happened ? IS it safer because its

connected to a power brick , I already had to RMA my Motherboard and stuff is always breaking on me , If any other components failed I think I would just give up. Is their

any programs you recommend I get to test my HDD/PSU/MOBO/GPU/RAM. and Do you think I did any damage to it ?

PSU- Corsair TX850w 80Plus
CPU-i72600k
HDD-1TB Caviar Black
GPU-6970
RAM-G.Skill 8GB

Solution

spaceace1014

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

It's not good for it but that PSU is pretty good and it should limit shock damage to components down the line cause by simple unplugging the unit. You're hard drive will maintain enough momentum to park its head. They are designed that way... however you are at risk of corrupting data like this; a great example would be if you were to lose power while applying a windows update. You would reboot to find that windows was unable to start or strange behavior but that would only require that you fix software.

Good Luck.

Solution