AMD FX 8350 bad thermal sensor or what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noa_32

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
So the thing it's quite simple.My FX 8350 shows ok temps in BIOS,about 38 degrees(Celsius).When I start Windows 7,I use HWMonitor to check my temps.The strange thing is that the CPU temp in HWMonitor varies vary fast from 15 degrees to 24 or 39 or something like that.It's just going crazy.I checked my CPU temp by touching the heatsink and I even touched the CPU itself and it wasn't very warm,it was just ok.I tried other programs like Core Temp or Speed Fan.Same thing.
So the bios shows normal temps,while Windows programs not.What could be the problem ?
The motherboard is Gigabyte FXA-990 UD3 revision 1.2.
Thanks in advance !

Solution
It's been stated in a few places that FX-8320s and FX-8350s have a bad algorithm that is only accurate in calculating temperatures under load, but I'm not definite on that answer.

it's very normal. I guess you're using a stock cooler? My i5-3570 also jumps like that with its stock cooler. I had a noctua cooler in my old rig and the temperature was always stable using the very same CPU monitoring program.

But as Bretts says, Bios is the real deal. The monitoring tools are often unaccurate.

hexacyanide

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
It's been stated in a few places that FX-8320s and FX-8350s have a bad algorithm that is only accurate in calculating temperatures under load, but I'm not definite on that answer.

Solution

noa_32

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Thank you very much.I've searched the web and it seems everybody has problems with the FX 8350 in monitoring programs.I guess I shouldn't worry as I don't overclock and I use everything stock.What I noticed is that when I play games like Far Cry 3,the temp seems to be real in HWMonitor,it shows 60-61 degrees so as hexacyanide said,the temps seem to only be displayed correctly under load.
Thank you all for your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.