Sign in with
Your question

Faulty PSU? Possible to cause fault on one GPU and not another?

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2012 5:50:30 PM

I bought a new PSU Corsair HX750W and ran PC fine for 2 weeks. Then bought a new GTX680.

So, my brand new GTX 680 keeps crashing the PC to a black screen, reboots and then there is no video signal. Old GTX 480 does not do this.

Could not diagnose fault and retailer was being a pain, so, as I wanted to upgrade anyway I bought an built a whole new rig, with the exception of the 680 and PSU.

Now the fault persists, crashes intermittently, under load and when simply opening jpegs or browsing the web.

The 680 has been back to Gigabyte this week and they have deemed it not faulty... they cannot get it to fault on their setups.
They tested multiple mobo's too.

I am now stuck. Do I accept that the HX750 is faulty? cos it sure seems enough to power my setups. Is it even possible for fault in a PSU to show up on one card and not another?

More about : faulty psu fault gpu

a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 6:06:11 PM

Weak or bad PSU.
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 6:07:00 PM

it sounds like theres not enought voltage and power going to ur system, id rma the powersupply as soon as possible, to make shur no damage comes to ur system.

Related resources
December 19, 2012 6:23:57 PM

iceclock said:
it sounds like theres not enought voltage and power going to ur system, id rma the powersupply as soon as possible, to make shur no damage comes to ur system.

It looks like this could be the case, however, can't explain why it works fine with the 480 and not the 680...?
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 6:36:42 PM

480 doesn't use as much power as 680, in terms of amperage.
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 6:48:14 PM

Hi :) 

I would doubt its the psu, but the only way to be sure is by substitution...

I would still suspect the graphics card...as it does it with pictures,,, which takes virtually no power...

All the best Brett :) 
December 19, 2012 7:30:22 PM

memadmax said:

I would assume that 62amp rail is enough to handle gtx680 + 2 x ssd 3x case fan, 2x cpu fan and the mobo/cpu?
December 19, 2012 7:31:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I would doubt its the psu, but the only way to be sure is by substitution...

I would still suspect the graphics card...as it does it with pictures,,, which takes virtually no power...

This is wht I thought, but if GB are telling the truth then 18 hours of stress testing did not cause the card to crash i have to lokk at other options. I am kind of praying that it is the PSU, just to get the situation resolved.

EDIT** Just ordered a new Corsair AX850W Gold £154.68 with shipping tomorrow. (company ships up to 11pm) 680 is due back tomorrow too so will update tomorrow night or morning after wheter the issue appears to be fxed or not.
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 8:06:08 PM

dandare said:
This is wht I thought, but if GB are telling the truth then 18 hours of stress testing did not cause the card to crash i have to lokk at other options. I am kind of praying that it is the PSU, just to get the situation resolved.

EDIT** Just ordered a new Corsair AX850W Gold £154.68 with shipping tomorrow. (company ships up to 11pm) 680 is due back tomorrow too so will update tomorrow night or morning after wheter the issue appears to be fxed or not.

I will be interested to find out which it is....personally I would think GPU (no matter what they say) but I could be wrong...lol :) 

a c 259 ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 8:44:09 PM

memadmax said:

Yeah........that's wrong. The GTX 480 was a huge power hog. The GTX 680 is a much newer more efficient architecture.

GTX 480 pulling 450 watts under load.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,258...

GTX 680 pulling a max 362 watts under load. Almost 100 watts less than the older Fermi.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...

Your power supply is sufficient for 2 x GTX 680s in Sli with room left. I agree with Brett on this one. If your computer works with a GTX 480 it's almost certainly a bad GTX 680 causing your problems.
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 10:38:45 PM

you should get a powersupply tester and see how much ur system pulls with the gtx 480 and 680 respectively.

a c 259 ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 11:29:50 PM

Quote:
you should get a powersupply tester and see how much ur system pulls with the gtx 480 and 680 respectively.

You do understand that a power supply tester is a very expensive piece of equipment that costs $1000 or more right?

You are confusing a load meter like Kill a Watt with a power supply tester.

Also why would he need to test it when literally every hardware review site on the internet has already tested both cards? OP does not have some magic computer pulling 1000 watts with a GTX 680 and 200 watts with a GTX 480. Just go to Anandtech, Techpowerup, Guru3d, Legitreviews, Techreport, HardOCP, Bit-tech, Hexus, TweakTown, HardwareSecrets, Kitguru or even.......wait for it.......Tom's Hardware and see that they all get roughly the same results with those 2 cards. I'm sure I left a few good review sites out too. Those are just the ones I read every day.
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2012 3:28:14 AM

im saying a meter tester, im not an expert on psu, i was referring to something that test the energy output of a ps,

December 20, 2012 8:20:14 AM

anort3 said:
Yeah........that's wrong. The GTX 480 was a huge power hog. The GTX 680 is a much newer more efficient architecture.

GTX 480 pulling 450 watts under load.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,258...

GTX 680 pulling a max 362 watts under load. Almost 100 watts less than the older Fermi.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...

Your power supply is sufficient for 2 x GTX 680s in Sli with room left. I agree with Brett on this one. If your computer works with a GTX 480 it's almost certainly a bad GTX 680 causing your problems.

Thanks, I knew the 480 was a power hog, which is why it seemed likely to be a GPU bug - every shred of evidence points towards that, with the sole exception of the fact that the PSU is the only common factor. It was in both my rigs and the card is failing, but GB UK say that the card does not fault, they are getting no crashes or artefacting. This leaves the PSU as the only remaining common factor.

As above, I ordered a Corsair AX850W Gold - this is their top of the line range; clean, stable power, single 12+ rail with 70amp delivery. This should be able to power two+ dx11 cards, so if the fault persists then I will know that it is the card.

I have already started a dispute process through my credit card provider and the paperwork is on the way. If the pc still fails with the ne PSU and GB or the retailer refuse to refund me then I will pursue legal action including re-claiming my costs for shipping and the new PSU.
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2012 12:35:51 PM

excellent u cant go wrong with that power supply, i own a corsair myself not th ax850 but the 850txm and very happy with it.

:)  hope ur system goes well man
January 13, 2013 11:33:27 AM

OK- so New PSU made no difference - Issue NOT caused by a faulty PSU.

How do I mark this as solved?
a c 259 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 4:28:55 PM

It must have been the card no matter what Gigabyte says then, right?
January 13, 2013 5:10:50 PM

anort3 said:
It must have been the card no matter what Gigabyte says then, right?

It seems to all reasonable people that way yes. Thing is the retailer are not reasonable. I have video proof of the fault occurring, but they say that all it proves is that my system has a fault, not the GPU. I have another thread on this forum discussing the direct topic in more detail, if you have any ideas.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/381907-15-faulty-so...
a c 259 ) Power supply
January 13, 2013 5:30:30 PM

All I can see points to a bad card. This kind of crap is why I always buy EVGA cards. Their warranty is umatched.

I'm not sure what your options are at this point. I would be on the phone until I got in touch with someone at Gigabyte who could fix the problem though. Even if you have to go all the way to the company president. It's amazing what higher levels of management can do for you if you can talk to them directly. A GTX 680 is too damn expensive to just write off.

On another note I have used Gigabyte motherboards in my own computers since 2002-2003 and have never had any problems with them.
!