Sign in with
Your question

Low profile dual video needed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2012 4:54:25 PM

Our office is receiving a bunch of new HP lowprofile desktops. They come with onboard graphics but our users all have 2 24" monitors each and I suspect that the onboard graphics will be problematic.

With that said, can you all please throw me your recommendations for a low profile dual video card? These are not gamers but the card needs to run 2 24" monitors without a hitch. Low profile bracket must be included in the specs.

Thanks.
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b α HP
June 14, 2012 6:27:08 PM

Need more detailed specifications of the new HP desktops. Off the top of my head, I'd say go with the HIS Radeon HD6570, but if these are not new HPs then the card may not be compatible. If the PC does have a PCI-Ex16 slot, is it standard PCI-E providing 75watts or proprietary, limited to only 25 watts.

Need more info.

-Wolf sends
m
l
June 14, 2012 6:39:18 PM

rockitman said:
Our office is receiving a bunch of new HP lowprofile desktops. They come with onboard graphics but our users all have 2 24" monitors each and I suspect that the onboard graphics will be problematic.

With that said, can you all please throw me your recommendations for a low profile dual video card? These are not gamers but the card needs to run 2 24" monitors without a hitch. Low profile bracket must be included in the specs.

Thanks.

The onboard graphics will be just fine for powering a pair of 24" monitors. On my desktop I'm actually running two of my screens off the HD 4000 on my CPU.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 6:52:59 PM

Gigabyte GeForce GT 520 , cheap, would run two lcds
i picked up one to use in low profile build and it came with a low profile back plate, just had to unplug the vga port part and screw on the new back plate
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:00:15 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Need more detailed specifications of the new HP desktops. Off the top of my head, I'd say go with the HIS Radeon HD6570, but if these are not new HPs then the card may not be compatible. If the PC does have a PCI-Ex16 slot, is it standard PCI-E providing 75watts or proprietary, limited to only 25 watts.

Need more info.

-Wolf sends

brand new Z210 workstations. Has PCI express 2.0 x16 slots

m
l
June 14, 2012 7:06:07 PM

dthesleepless said:
The onboard graphics will be just fine for powering a pair of 24" monitors. On my desktop I'm actually running two of my screens off the HD 4000 on my CPU.

I'm told the onboard on the Z210 is HD 2000. You think that will also drive 2 24" monitors?
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:08:45 PM

Absolutely. The only difference is reduced shader power, which is a non-issue for non-gaming-related tasks. Don't waste money on video cards if you don't have to; if the Z210 has the outputs to drive two 1920x1200 displays, it'll drive 'em just fine.
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b α HP
June 14, 2012 7:52:52 PM

Quote:
1 VGA and 1 DisplayPort output from Intel HD graphics available only on dual-core processors.

Per the specifications if the small form factor HP Z210. I'd verify with HP that these systems can run dual graphics using just the HD2000.

-Wolf sends
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:14:03 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Quote:
1 VGA and 1 DisplayPort output from Intel HD graphics available only on dual-core processors.

Per the specifications if the small form factor HP Z210. I'd verify with HP that these systems can run dual graphics using just the HD2000.

-Wolf sends

well we are throwing i5's in them so that shouldn't be an issue.
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b α HP
June 14, 2012 11:58:07 PM

rockitman said:
well we are throwing i5's in them so that shouldn't be an issue.

You'd be surprised at what can become an issue. Contact HP and make sure the configuration you're getting is able to do what you need it to do.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!