shantmov

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I have an i5 2500k with an Asus p8z68-v motherboard, I'm using the stock Intel cooler and I'm running at stock speeds / no overclocking. I'm getting idle temps of about 25 to 28 degrees Celsius, however when I start playing a game my temperatures rise very quickly up to the 70sC. I have reseated my cooler, re-applied thermal paste, checked voltage in my bios (everything is on auto for voltage), etc. This problem has just started and I never got temps like this before. What do you guys think? Is there a chance that my cpu is defective and I need to get it replaced by Intel?

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
The idle temps are good, but under load isn't.

May i suggest buying a Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. I just got one for my athlon ii x4 640 and it never ever go's above 50 degrees, it has 6 copper heatpipes and pre-applied arctic MX-2 thermal paste. It's also really cheap and you won't need to take your motherboard out to fit it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-7-Pro-Rev-2-CPU-Cooler-130W-Ultra-Quiet-92mm-Fan-/330734024009?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item4d0148b549

Hope i helped :)

Dust in the ventilation.

If you got a 'open-air' GPU and it has gotten dust into it will get hotter and affect you CPU aswell.

Ambient temperatures.

Fan not properly working as it should.

You could go on, a lot of Things could cause it. Cleaning your desktop is always a good idea.

quite honestly

in my opinion its not likely to be the cpu

i have never seen a cpu do that unless its been heavily overclocked for a long time

any cpu i have seen fail just doesnt post--you get a blank screen

how much thermal paste did you use?

too much is as bad as too little--it acts as an insulator if you use too much

shantmov

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I don't know what else to do besides RMA the processor. I have an idle temp of 23 degrees Celsius but when I play a game the temperature rises to the 70s. If the thermal paste or cooler was set up bad, wouldn't I also have a high idle temp?