High i5 2500k temps?

I have an i5 2500k with an Asus p8z68-v motherboard, I'm using the stock Intel cooler and I'm running at stock speeds / no overclocking. I'm getting idle temps of about 25 to 28 degrees Celsius, however when I start playing a game my temperatures rise very quickly up to the 70sC. I have reseated my cooler, re-applied thermal paste, checked voltage in my bios (everything is on auto for voltage), etc. This problem has just started and I never got temps like this before. What do you guys think? Is there a chance that my cpu is defective and I need to get it replaced by Intel?
11 answers Last reply
More about high 2500k temps
  1. first thing to check with the stock cooler is that all the push pins are properly engaged

very common problem one or more arent and can move

look at the back of the motherboard to see if they are in right

edit--should be like this

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/img/data/articles/2004/1215/02-clip_mobo_back.jpg
  2. The idle temps are good, but under load isn't.

May i suggest buying a Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. I just got one for my athlon ii x4 640 and it never ever go's above 50 degrees, it has 6 copper heatpipes and pre-applied arctic MX-2 thermal paste. It's also really cheap and you won't need to take your motherboard out to fit it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-7-Pro-Rev-2-CPU-Cooler-130W-Ultra-Quiet-92mm-Fan-/330734024009?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item4d0148b549

Hope i helped :)
  3. Thanks for the replies. Yeah the pins are correct and I tried new thermal paste too. Not sure what can be causing this...
  4. shantmov said:
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah the pins are correct and I tried new thermal paste too. Not sure what can be causing this...

Dust in the ventilation.

If you got a 'open-air' GPU and it has gotten dust into it will get hotter and affect you CPU aswell.

Ambient temperatures.

Fan not properly working as it should.

You could go on, a lot of Things could cause it. Cleaning your desktop is always a good idea.
  5. Cleaned my pc, fans are working right, etc. This problem came out of nowhere, do you guys think I'll be able to RMA the processor?
  6. quite honestly

in my opinion its not likely to be the cpu

i have never seen a cpu do that unless its been heavily overclocked for a long time

any cpu i have seen fail just doesnt post--you get a blank screen

how much thermal paste did you use?

too much is as bad as too little--it acts as an insulator if you use too much
  7. I put a pea sized amount on the heat-sink and let it spread on its own.
  8. One of my friends told me that my cpu may be getting too much voltage. You guys think that could be causing my problem?
  9. its possible

use cpuz and keep an eye on the load voltage

if i leave cpu voltage on auto on my P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 it does tend to overvolt

though i am seriously overclocking it and have a good cooler i still set the voltage manually
  10. I don't know what else to do besides RMA the processor. I have an idle temp of 23 degrees Celsius but when I play a game the temperature rises to the 70s. If the thermal paste or cooler was set up bad, wouldn't I also have a high idle temp?
  11. not necessarily--at idle the cpu isnt doing anything to produce much heat

did you check the cpu voltage under load?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Intel i5