Do I need a Hotfix for a FX-6300

Status
Not open for further replies.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I read that Windows 7 doesn't "see" the cores on AMD FX processors correctly and needs a hot fix if one is using Windows 7. Actually, I read this about the Bulldozer, but assumed the Piledriver would need this too. Do I need this hotfix with a FX-6300? And if so, could someone please link me to it? I found Microsoft's hotfix page for the 1st gen FX chips, but no luck finding anything for the 2nd gen. Oh, I also read that there may be 2 hotfixes or patches. ??

There is no hotfix for Piledriver as far as I know. The first hot fixes did next to nothing and was quickly withdrawn in a matter of a few weeks after being released. As far as I know Microsoft never botherd with any other hot fixes and why would they no amount of hot fixes will fix Bulldozers problems.

No it isn't that is wrong. It is proven that hot fixes will do nothing to increase performance and are useless. You get what you get with AMD CPU's. You don't need hot fixes and there is no point in downloading them since the performance gain is next to nothing.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

I wasn't really interested in a performance increase. I thought I read that the multiple cores wouldn't have balanced threading between them in Win7 without the fix. But that it was corrected with Win8.
Can you please link me to an article where you say it is proven the patches/hotfixes are not needed?

You don't need hotfixes to make Bulldozer or Piledriver to work. Windows will boot with either. The onlt thing that you might need is a BIOS flash if your motherboard doesn't support Piledriver but that is different from a hotfix. Hot fixes are to fix performance problems not to make a CPU work.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Those are the same patches for the Bulldozer. Do they work for the Pliledriver CPUs too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS