Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Do I need a Hotfix for a FX-6300

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows 7
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 19, 2012 7:15:53 PM

I read that Windows 7 doesn't "see" the cores on AMD FX processors correctly and needs a hot fix if one is using Windows 7. Actually, I read this about the Bulldozer, but assumed the Piledriver would need this too. Do I need this hotfix with a FX-6300? And if so, could someone please link me to it? I found Microsoft's hotfix page for the 1st gen FX chips, but no luck finding anything for the 2nd gen. Oh, I also read that there may be 2 hotfixes or patches. ??

More about : hotfix 6300

a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 7:37:15 PM

It's needed for all AMD devices using the new module architecture. FX and any Trinity/Piledriver APUs.
Score
0
a c 154 à CPUs
December 19, 2012 7:40:24 PM

box o rocks said:
I read that Windows 7 doesn't "see" the cores on AMD FX processors correctly and needs a hot fix if one is using Windows 7. Actually, I read this about the Bulldozer, but assumed the Piledriver would need this too. Do I need this hotfix with a FX-6300? And if so, could someone please link me to it? I found Microsoft's hotfix page for the 1st gen FX chips, but no luck finding anything for the 2nd gen. Oh, I also read that there may be 2 hotfixes or patches. ??


There is no hotfix for Piledriver as far as I know. The first hot fixes did next to nothing and was quickly withdrawn in a matter of a few weeks after being released. As far as I know Microsoft never botherd with any other hot fixes and why would they no amount of hot fixes will fix Bulldozers problems.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 154 à CPUs
December 19, 2012 7:43:55 PM

Cazalan said:
It's needed for all AMD devices using the new module architecture. FX and any Trinity/Piledriver APUs.


No it isn't that is wrong. It is proven that hot fixes will do nothing to increase performance and are useless. You get what you get with AMD CPU's. You don't need hot fixes and there is no point in downloading them since the performance gain is next to nothing.
Score
0
December 19, 2012 7:50:30 PM

rds1220 said:
There is no hotfix for Piledriver as far as I know. The first hot fixes did next to nothing and was quickly withdrawn in a matter of a few weeks after being released. As far as I know Microsoft never botherd with any other hot fixes and why would they no amount of hot fixes will fix Bulldozers problems.

I wasn't really interested in a performance increase. I thought I read that the multiple cores wouldn't have balanced threading between them in Win7 without the fix. But that it was corrected with Win8.
Can you please link me to an article where you say it is proven the patches/hotfixes are not needed?
Score
0
a c 154 à CPUs
December 19, 2012 8:02:45 PM

You don't need hotfixes to make Bulldozer or Piledriver to work. Windows will boot with either. The onlt thing that you might need is a BIOS flash if your motherboard doesn't support Piledriver but that is different from a hotfix. Hot fixes are to fix performance problems not to make a CPU work.
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 20, 2012 3:27:31 AM


The patches are still available. The gains are not huge but it affects how tasks get scheduled. It treats it more like a hyper-threaded CPU where Core 1+3+5+7 take priority over 2+4+6+8.

It's not required to make FX work, but it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594


Share
December 20, 2012 9:50:48 PM

Cazalan said:
The patches are still available. The gains are not huge but it affects how tasks get scheduled. It treats it more like a hyper-threaded CPU where Core 1+3+5+7 take priority over 2+4+6+8.

It's not required to make FX work, but it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

Those are the same patches for the Bulldozer. Do they work for the Pliledriver CPUs too?
Score
0
December 28, 2012 2:04:31 PM

Best answer selected by box o rocks.
Score
0
!