Sign in with
Your question

Extremely Slow Wi-Fi Speeds

Last response: in Networking
August 7, 2011 8:12:55 PM

Hey guys. This CPU is on the other end of my house of my wireless router so I expect slower speeds but the last two days have been insane. I have a D-Link DWA-556 Extreme N wireless adapter.

My isp is around 25mbps, but with wifi I get around 8-10 which is fine for what I do.
However, according to speedtest.net my connection is roughly .20 to .50 mbps.
I have reset my router, my adapter, and my isp. I plug in my ethernet cable (which I use for my work cpu so I cant use it for this one) and I get full speed.

I've already reset my adapter, my wifi on my imac (work computer) is getting 13mbps which is faster than my expensive D-link adapter with 3 antennas, so its definitely this one. I'm unversed in network adapter troubleshooting. Any ideas of what to do besides resetting, and removing the card and reinstalling it? Thanks.

More about : extremely slow speeds

August 7, 2011 8:24:27 PM

Check for interference. Reposition the computer for a different angle to the wifi router. Change the channel your wireless is using. See if there are any other devices on the wifi.

Use a different test. Maybe that's it.
m
l
August 7, 2011 8:27:45 PM

No other devices on wi-fi and I've moved from cpu much closer to the router.
Pages are taking forever to load still though and video is impossible to stream.
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2011 8:38:51 PM

Is it possible there's other interference then?
m
l
August 7, 2011 8:45:04 PM

Not that I can tell. The only other router around is across the street and barely appears on my computer in terms of signal strength.

My imac and my roommates cpu are even further away from the router and having no issues.
m
l
August 7, 2011 8:56:22 PM

There are things that can cause interference besides other routers.

If you have another system, you could try switching the cards, just to see if the problem is repeated.
m
l
August 7, 2011 9:06:24 PM

My other system is a mac so thats a no go. I havent changed the hardware but I turned off my sound system (subwoofer is right next to tower) and removed my GPU just to check and I'm still having the same issue.
m
l
August 7, 2011 9:11:56 PM

Well, if your roommate is also on the wifi, get a tool to measure the bandwidth, and try sharing a file with them.

m
l
!