Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No idea what's wrong with my PC...

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2012 7:15:11 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware! New guy here. I've had this system since January and I recently got a new HDD so I was planning to do a RAID setup. Well, I wanted to boot from a CD, but missed it so it started to boot Windows regularly. In this loading, I hit the reset button my case. My PC froze for about 3 seconds and then turned off, but it didn't turn back on.

After a HORRENDOUS amount of testing, I de-assembled the whole thing and I still can't get it to work. I asked Reddit's support and they have no idea what could be wrong with it. Some think that I, somehow, fried my motherboard/psu by doing this.

So, here's my breakdown: I've done the paperclip trick. The PSU turns on, but it's not very loud. (Edit: It is spinning fast, though.) Is this normal? I assumed it was.

My motherboard LEDs won't turn on even though I have the PSU plugged in. They should be on, right? Just to show that it's receiving power? I plugged in my PSU, 20 pin, post-beep speakers, CPU power power LEDS. I jumped the Power pins with a flat head screw driver and no dice. The motherboard won't turn on. (Neither does the PSU.)

Can I have some help with this? Thank you.

edit: My motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : idea wrong

August 5, 2012 4:51:29 PM

Anyone? :( 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2012 11:24:14 PM

Ok i hardly doubt you damanged any of your components.

First, what kind of " HORRENDOUS amount of testing" did you do?

*I doubt your PSU or Motherboard are damanged, they both have extremely good manufacturing quality

*i had a similar problem like yours, my pc shutdown out of nowhere while it was turning on, i had to hard reset the BIOS, this is how to it:

1) locate the CMOS jumper located near the motherboard battery, it looks like this:

2) The jumper is touching (what we're going to call) pin 1 and 2, all you have to do is take it out and wait 5 seconds and place it back but this time make sure it touches pins 2 and 3, after 5 seconds put the jumper in its original position (touching pin 1 and 2) see if your problem is solved

*Where are you booting from?
Related resources
August 5, 2012 11:47:19 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. You have no idea how much this means to me. Anyways, let's do some testing! Okay, so, some thought something might be wrong with my PSU, so I did a multi-meter testing. Here are my results: Looks pretty normal to me:

1: 3.36
2. 3.36
3. Ground
4. 5.1
5. Ground
6. 5.1
7. Ground
8. 5.03
9. 5.07
10. 12.17
11. 12.17
12. 3.36
13. 3.36
14. -12.46 (Negative)
15. Ground
16. PS_On
17. Ground
18. Ground
19. Ground
20. No wire??
21. 5.1
22. 5.1
23. 5.1

Okay, to answer your question: I took apart my PC and right now ALL I have connected is the PSU, CPU and CPU cooler. That's it. And 1 stick of RAM. As for the jumper, I don't see it on my board. I'm going to take some pictures so you can get a better idea of my setup. Where might it be?

http://imgur.com/a/KvhMD

Edit: So I was reading this article. C+F "CMOS" and read the paragraphs with the two entries. One says, my board doesn't have it, the next paragraph says, "Right above the front panel I/O Block." Which one is it? O_O

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/gigabyte_ga_z68xp_ud3p/3
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 12:17:24 AM

Hmmm, thats weird, it doesnt have a CMOS jumper... anyways, let try something else:

*What happens when you press the power button in your case?
m
l
August 6, 2012 12:24:17 AM

I love you so ******* much. Seriously. I reset the CMOS batter before and let it sit for about 15 seconds before putting it back in. I just tried it again except left it out for about 10 minutes

AND IT FREAKING TURNED ON. You saved me SO MUCH time and money. My board has an issue with a boot cycle though, so it was doing that, but it turned on. That's all I care about. (My board isn't specific to the boot cycle, all the models are.)

Alright, well, I'm gonna start putting everything back together again and I think I should be good. Thank you. Thank you so much.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 12:26:17 AM

caziban said:
I love you so ******* much. Seriously. I reset the CMOS batter before and let it sit for about 15 seconds before putting it back in. I just tried it again except left it out for about 10 minutes

AND IT FREAKING TURNED ON. You saved me SO MUCH time and money. My board has an issue with a boot cycle though, so it was doing that, but it turned on. That's all I care about. (My board isn't specific to the boot cycle, all the models are.)

Alright, well, I'm gonna start putting everything back together again and I think I should be good. Thank you. Thank you so much.

You are wellcome buddy!!! i was about to tell you to take out the battery but you did it by yourself, great job!! enjoy your system
m
l
August 6, 2012 12:28:32 AM

Best answer selected by caziban.
m
l
!