Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Naming conventions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 12, 2005 3:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?

A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
three word names are much more interesting.

I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.

Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.

More about : naming conventions

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

i dont know either... many NPCs (nealry all) have 2 word names... i'd
like to have a name like "Kairne Bloodhoof"..
btw: why only so few chars / name? i think its 12 symbol / name?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

RogerM wrote:
> What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
> names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
>
> A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
> three word names are much more interesting.
>
> I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
>
> Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.

Maybe because they didn't want people going around naming themselves "Bill
the Axe" or "I Love Potatoes."
Related resources
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>> >I have not heard any official explanations for this, but it could be
>>>that they don't want any "Sir whatever" or "Lord something" to run
>>>around - especially when they hand out titles themselves in PvP. Is
>>>that "General Bloodfist" a PvP General (rank 12), or is that just part
>>>of his name?

>> Then ban certain prefixes.

>Blizzard had to loose the naming conventions on PvE and PvP servers
>because they didn't have the capacities to keep them up.
>Sure they could ban certain prefixes and suffixes, but it is
>additional work.

But pretty easy to implement. The name already gets scanned for naughty
words, to change it to disallow some PvP prefixes isn't major work.

>>>It would also make it a bit harder to whisper people. Eg. you would
>>>have to put " around names with spaces in them or something like that.

>> If you pick you of the char menu, auto put quotes around it then.

>What about /whisper, /invite, /ginvite and stuff?
>it would definitely make it harder.

Use a delimiter. Guild Wars uses a comma. Ie /tell bill the axe, hi

It's hardly hard to remember. In fact coming from mmog where you put
a delimiter after the char name, it took we a while to get used to not
putting one in WoW.

>>>In short, allowing names with spaces in them would create problems -
>>>not insurmountable problems, but problems they do not have now
>>>nonetheless.

>> Not really, they all dead easy to fix.

>Nope, they aren't.

Yes it is!! Guild Wars does it effortlessly. No reason why WoW
couldn't have done.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>> It's hardly hard to remember. In fact coming from mmog where you put
>> a delimiter after the char name, it took we a while to get used to not
>> putting one in WoW.

>And after playing games like WoW and EQ, it would take me a while to
>remember to put the delimter after the name. It works both ways. The fact
>that you're used to the way GW does things does not create an obligation on
>Blizzard's part to change a pre-existing system to match, nor does it create
>an obligation on our part to get used to doing things that way.

>Note, I'm all for comparing different games and wishing that the best
>features be imported (like keyboard controls and customizable interface for
>L2 >_< ). I just have issue with your use of "GW does it, so WoW must do
>it too."

Er I think you've missed the point here. I'm not saying WoW must
copy GW. People are saying spaces cause problems and I'm just listing
simply ways to fix those problems. I only quoted GW as most people have
spaces in their name there and it doesn't cause problems.

So, there is no real technical reason why it couldn't of been done.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>>>What about /whisper, /invite, /ginvite and stuff?
>>>it would definitely make it harder.
>> Use a delimiter. Guild Wars uses a comma. Ie /tell bill the axe, hi
>> It's hardly hard to remember. In fact coming from mmog where you put
>> a delimiter after the char name, it took we a while to get used to not
>> putting one in WoW.
>It's not that it ain't easy to remember, or not possible, it's simply
>making it harder to type. I agree this wouldn't be a big deal in the
>beginning of the game, but with hundreds of thousands of players, you
>can't just change it. Especially those who already have mid or high
>level characters will ask themselves why they have to get used to a
>new style while they don't profit from the change (not all people have
>a gazillion of characters).

And where did I say they should do it now? If it was done from day one
now one wouldn't have thought twice about it. I agree its too late to
change things now but it could have been done like that for the off.

I think you guys a seriously over estimating the amount of extra work
and name abuse allowing spaces would of created. I see all sort of
nonsense with people's names. People often just concatenated the name
together as one long word. Allowing them to put spaces in between
wouldn't have cause that major difference. GW and CoH allows it and
so could of WoW, IF Blizzard had design the game to do it from the off.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

BombayMix wrote:

>>>> It would also make it a bit harder to whisper people. Eg. you would
>>>> have to put " around names with spaces in them or something like
>>>> that.
>
>>> If you pick you of the char menu, auto put quotes around it then.
>
>> What about /whisper, /invite, /ginvite and stuff?
>> it would definitely make it harder.
>
> Use a delimiter. Guild Wars uses a comma. Ie /tell bill the axe, hi
>
> It's hardly hard to remember. In fact coming from mmog where you put
> a delimiter after the char name, it took we a while to get used to not
> putting one in WoW.

And after playing games like WoW and EQ, it would take me a while to
remember to put the delimter after the name. It works both ways. The fact
that you're used to the way GW does things does not create an obligation on
Blizzard's part to change a pre-existing system to match, nor does it create
an obligation on our part to get used to doing things that way.

Note, I'm all for comparing different games and wishing that the best
features be imported (like keyboard controls and customizable interface for
L2 >_< ). I just have issue with your use of "GW does it, so WoW must do
it too."
July 12, 2005 3:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:42D3A8FC.1393ED6F@ns.sympatico.ca...
> What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
> names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
>
> A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
> three word names are much more interesting.
>
> I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
>
> Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>

I'd imagine it's to stop people pretending to be NPCs or the like. Or
perhaps a "second name" will be some sort of reward for a quest that's to be
imlpemented.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:20:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote:

> But pretty easy to implement. The name already gets scanned for naughty
> words, to change it to disallow some PvP prefixes isn't major work.

If it's only for the PvP ranks: Sure. But what next?
- Professions (Merchant, Weaponsmith, Butcher, ...)
- Other titles (Lord, King)
- NPC Names
- ...
-> This results in an endless amount of terms to block.

These are all things that wouldn't be tolerated, regardless of the
policy for the naming conventions, because people naming themselves
like "Lord Grubbash of Orgrimmar" will lead to complaints.
Similar names will lead to complaints: If someone bashes me because
he heard "Wild card" was acting like a jerk, I'd be quite a bit
upset.

Conclusion: They had to improve what they are already doing now:
- Banning certain names -> improve by banning certain words out
of the names
- Adding a full list of all NPC names to the ban list
AND they still will get more complaints, which will lead to higher
costs for more GMs.

>>What about /whisper, /invite, /ginvite and stuff?
>>it would definitely make it harder.
>
> Use a delimiter. Guild Wars uses a comma. Ie /tell bill the axe, hi
>
> It's hardly hard to remember. In fact coming from mmog where you put
> a delimiter after the char name, it took we a while to get used to not
> putting one in WoW.

It's not that it ain't easy to remember, or not possible, it's simply
making it harder to type. I agree this wouldn't be a big deal in the
beginning of the game, but with hundrets of thousands of players, you
can't just change it. Especially those who already have mid or high
level characters will ask themselves why they have to get used to a
new style while they don't profit from the change (not all people have
a gazillion of characters).

> Yes it is!! Guild Wars does it effortlessly.

Depends on what quality you expect. (Disclaimer: I never played GW
and my intention wasn't to bash it at all)

> No reason why WoW couldn't have done.

Because it would mean more work, and blizzard doesn't like more
work :o )

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (56) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:34:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On 12 Jul 2005 07:23:49 -0700, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
wrote:

>People are saying spaces cause problems and I'm just listing
>simply ways to fix those problems.

You are listing additional work that must be done, and at least some
of it requires additional in game GM time which is already in short
supply.

>I only quoted GW as most people have
>spaces in their name there and it doesn't cause problems.
>
>So, there is no real technical reason why it couldn't of been done.

But what benefit do you get from having spaces? A small roleplaying
benefit, any more?

The question is not if it _can_ be done, but if it is _worth_ doing -
and I for one don't think it is.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:56:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On 2005-07-12 13:54:28 +0200, "barry" <bmercer@bnota.tk.com> said:

> I'd imagine it's to stop people pretending to be NPCs or the like. Or
> perhaps a "second name" will be some sort of reward for a quest that's
> to be imlpemented.

Exactly. I went looking for it on the forum, but couldnt find it. In
any case I'm 100% sure some Bliz rep once said you can have only one
name because titles and last names will be added as ingame achievements.
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 58 - Bloodscalp EU
Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 19 - Bloodscalp EU
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:52:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

BombayMix wrote:
>>> It's hardly hard to remember. In fact coming from mmog where you put
>>> a delimiter after the char name, it took we a while to get used to
>>> not putting one in WoW.
>
>> And after playing games like WoW and EQ, it would take me a while to
>> remember to put the delimter after the name. It works both ways.
>> The fact that you're used to the way GW does things does not create
>> an obligation on Blizzard's part to change a pre-existing system to
>> match, nor does it create an obligation on our part to get used to
>> doing things that way.
>
>> Note, I'm all for comparing different games and wishing that the best
>> features be imported (like keyboard controls and customizable
>> interface for L2 >_< ). I just have issue with your use of "GW
>> does it, so WoW must do it too."
>
> Er I think you've missed the point here. I'm not saying WoW must
> copy GW. People are saying spaces cause problems and I'm just listing
> simply ways to fix those problems. I only quoted GW as most people
> have spaces in their name there and it doesn't cause problems.

That's clearly not the case. You said "It's hardly hard to remember. In
fact coming from mmog where you put a delimiter after the char name, it took
we a while to get used to not putting one in WoW." This is not a techincal
issue, but an interface one. That's the point I addressed.

> So, there is no real technical reason why it couldn't of been done.

But you weren't talking techincal, above.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
scribed into the ether:

>What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
>names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?

It would make sending tells to such people a nuisance. It also makes
policing inappropriate names an order of magnitude more difficult.

>A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
>three word names are much more interesting.

Your first MMO, is it? The only game I know of that allows multi part names
is City of Heroes. Others can include surnames which are not functionally a
part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the Tyrness only appears above
your head, and is not actually a part of your character's identity.

>I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.

Bili The Axe would be disallowed anyway because it is granting your
character a title.

>Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.

NWN is not a MMORPG.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:00:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM
> <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> scribed into the ether:
>
>> What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
>> names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
>
> It would make sending tells to such people a nuisance. It also makes
> policing inappropriate names an order of magnitude more difficult.
>
>> A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
>> three word names are much more interesting.
>
> Your first MMO, is it? The only game I know of that allows multi part
> names is City of Heroes. Others can include surnames which are not
> functionally a part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the
> Tyrness only appears above your head, and is not actually a part of
> your character's identity.

GW actually requires them. Though it's not quite as MMORPG as I'm used to,
it's close enough for comparison. I think L2 allows them, as well. Though
L2's interface is a perfect example of how -not- to desing an MMO.
July 13, 2005 4:56:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

sanjian wrote:

> RogerM wrote:
> > What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
> > names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
> >
> > A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
> > three word names are much more interesting.
> >
> > I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
> >
> > Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>
> Maybe because they didn't want people going around naming themselves "Bill
> the Axe" or "I Love Potatoes."

Have you seen the names that ARE running around now?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:56:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

RogerM wrote:
> sanjian wrote:
>
>> RogerM wrote:
>>> What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
>>> names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
>>>
>>> A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
>>> three word names are much more interesting.
>>>
>>> I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
>>>
>>> Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>>
>> Maybe because they didn't want people going around naming themselves
>> "Bill the Axe" or "I Love Potatoes."
>
> Have you seen the names that ARE running around now?

Remember, it could always be worse.
July 13, 2005 4:57:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>
> But what benefit do you get from having spaces? A small roleplaying
> benefit, any more?
>

That's enouugh. It IS an RPG, after all.

>
> The question is not if it _can_ be done, but if it is _worth_ doing -
> and I for one don't think it is.
>
> --
> Regards
> Simon Nejmann

Don't you mean "Simonnejmann"?
July 13, 2005 5:00:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Jack D wrote:

> On 2005-07-12 13:54:28 +0200, "barry" <bmercer@bnota.tk.com> said:
>
> > I'd imagine it's to stop people pretending to be NPCs or the like. Or
> > perhaps a "second name" will be some sort of reward for a quest that's
> > to be imlpemented.
>
> Exactly. I went looking for it on the forum, but couldnt find it. In
> any case I'm 100% sure some Bliz rep once said you can have only one
> name because titles and last names will be added as ingame achievements.

Not much consolation for "Bilitheaxe" or "Docdoom", to be able to add a
second name.

And what a cheapass reward that is.
July 13, 2005 5:10:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
> scribed into the ether:
>
> >What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
> >names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
>
> It would make sending tells to such people a nuisance. It also makes
> policing inappropriate names an order of magnitude more difficult.
>
> >A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
> >three word names are much more interesting.
>
> Your first MMO, is it?

Yes.

> The only game I know of that allows multi part names
> is City of Heroes.

So that's at least one that DOES allow it. So it can be done.

> Others can include surnames which are not functionally a
> part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the Tyrness only appears above
> your head, and is not actually a part of your character's identity.
>

That alone would have been preferable to what is available now.

>
> >I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
>
> Bili The Axe would be disallowed anyway because it is granting your
> character a title.
>

You're not serious?

>
> >Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>
> NWN is not a MMORPG.

No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
July 13, 2005 5:12:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary wrote:

> Anyway, easy way around this is simply to use underscore: Bill_The_Axe
> (assuming underscore is allowed, I'm not sure that it is).
>

It isn't, or I wouldn't have bothered to bring the issue up. Only alphabetical
characters are allowed.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:28:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:50:41 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch schreef:
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:15:39 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>>sanjian schreef:
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>>Note, I'm all for comparing different games and wishing that the best
>>>>features be imported (like keyboard controls and customizable interface for
>>>>L2 >_< ). I just have issue with your use of "GW does it, so WoW must do
>>>>it too."
>>>
>>>I think Blizzard should include a [tab] funtionality like you have in
>>>Windows XP on the commandline. E.g. first [tab] gets you the nearest
>>>player, next [tab] gets you the second nearest, etc.
>>
>>
>> You can cycle between enemies in this fashion, not sure about players.
>> Never had a need to do this, so I never bothered to see if it was possible.
>
>ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab according to the manual. But I was talking
>about auto-completion (and error-correction) in typed names. I am very
>bad with names (near dyslectic). That is the biggest problem I have with
>this game! (I also can't remember cities nor quest names and rever to
>the map and quest log a *lot*).

There is a command to send a tell to current target, which would be better
than name completion.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:29:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:08:28 -0400, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM
>> <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>> What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
>>> names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?
>>
>> It would make sending tells to such people a nuisance. It also makes
>> policing inappropriate names an order of magnitude more difficult.
>>
>>> A big part of an RPG is identifying with your character, and two or
>>> three word names are much more interesting.
>>
>> Your first MMO, is it? The only game I know of that allows multi part
>> names is City of Heroes. Others can include surnames which are not
>> functionally a part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the
>> Tyrness only appears above your head, and is not actually a part of
>> your character's identity.
>
>GW actually requires them. Though it's not quite as MMORPG as I'm used to,

Not really MMO at all...character name is stored client-side, isn't it?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:35:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:10:00 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
>> scribed into the ether:

>> The only game I know of that allows multi part names
>> is City of Heroes.
>
>So that's at least one that DOES allow it. So it can be done.

The history of the genre is relevant in this case. Many superheroes have
multipart names. Single named characters are the norm, not the exception,
in medeival fantasy.

>> Others can include surnames which are not functionally a
>> part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the Tyrness only appears above
>> your head, and is not actually a part of your character's identity.
>>
>That alone would have been preferable to what is available now.

And is apparently a design consideration. Not that they couldn't, but they
didn't want to. Surnames are going to be earned in some fashion. In
Everquest, this meant getting to level 20. You couldn't do it with a new
character.

>> >I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
>>
>> Bili The Axe would be disallowed anyway because it is granting your
>> character a title.
>>
>You're not serious?

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01723p#Tit...

Partial or Complete Sentences
This category includes names which:

* Consist of multiple (generally more than 2) words strung together to
create partial or complete sentences (i.e. Inyourface, Welovebeef,
Howareyou)

If a player is found to have such a name for their character or pet, he/she
may:

* Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email

Titles
Fantasy titles should be earned through the mechanics of the game, and
should not be recreated through character naming. This category includes
names which:

* Consist of any title prefix attached to a character's name be it
fantasy-based or not (i.e. Kingmike, Presidentsanchez)

If a player is found to have such a name for their character he/she may:

* Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email


>> >Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>>
>> NWN is not a MMORPG.
>
>No, it's a MORPG. Your point?

The rules are not even close to the same. Calling it a MORPG is distorting
the facts as well. I got NWN the day it was released, and I have never
played it online.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:27:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:08:28 -0400, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com>
> scribed into the ether:


>> GW actually requires them. Though it's not quite as MMORPG as I'm
>> used to,
>
> Not really MMO at all...character name is stored client-side, isn't
> it?

Not too sure about the server setup, but I'd say it's MMO enough to count.
It's just that it's designed around the instance. And I love the idea of
the "dynamic server" setup. No more "Well, this group of friends is on
Bristlebane, this group is on Prexus, these guys are on Tunare, and I'm on
the Raithe with my roommate, his sister, and her husband..."
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:29:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:10:00 GMT, RogerM
> <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> scribed into the ether:

>>>> Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>>>
>>> NWN is not a MMORPG.
>>
>> No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
>
> The rules are not even close to the same. Calling it a MORPG is
> distorting the facts as well. I got NWN the day it was released, and
> I have never played it online.

You're not missing anything.
July 13, 2005 1:58:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:10:00 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
> scribed into the ether:
>
> >Matt Frisch wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
> >> scribed into the ether:
>
> >> The only game I know of that allows multi part names
> >> is City of Heroes.
> >
> >So that's at least one that DOES allow it. So it can be done.
>
> The history of the genre is relevant in this case. Many superheroes have
> multipart names. Single named characters are the norm, not the exception,
> in medeival fantasy.
>

The defense of Blizzard's policy is reaching ridiculous extremes. Who cares what
the nom is regarding naming of S&S characters.

>
> >> Others can include surnames which are not functionally a
> >> part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the Tyrness only appears above
> >> your head, and is not actually a part of your character's identity.
> >>
> >That alone would have been preferable to what is available now.
>
> And is apparently a design consideration. Not that they couldn't, but they
> didn't want to. Surnames are going to be earned in some fashion. In
> Everquest, this meant getting to level 20. You couldn't do it with a new
> character.
>

Well, there is no such option available now, and it would be pretty cheap reward
(as I have indicated in another post).

>
> >> >I had to settle for "Bili" because "Bilitheaxe" looks like hell.
> >>
> >> Bili The Axe would be disallowed anyway because it is granting your
> >> character a title.
> >>
> >You're not serious?
>
> http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01723p#Tit...
>
> Partial or Complete Sentences
> This category includes names which:
>
> * Consist of multiple (generally more than 2) words strung together to
> create partial or complete sentences (i.e. Inyourface, Welovebeef,
> Howareyou)
>
> If a player is found to have such a name for their character or pet, he/she
> may:
>
> * Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email

The key word is "may", apparently, as I have seen MANY characters with multiword
names (such as "Okyourdead") on just the server I frequent.

>
> Titles
> Fantasy titles should be earned through the mechanics of the game, and
> should not be recreated through character naming. This category includes
> names which:
>
> * Consist of any title prefix attached to a character's name be it
> fantasy-based or not (i.e. Kingmike, Presidentsanchez)
>
> If a player is found to have such a name for their character he/she may:
>
> * Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email

I do not believe "the Axe" could reasonably be construed as a title.

>
> >> >Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
> >>
> >> NWN is not a MMORPG.
> >
> >No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
>
> The rules are not even close to the same. Calling it a MORPG is distorting
> the facts as well. I got NWN the day it was released, and I have never
> played it online.

That's your option, but most people do play it online.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:58:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

RogerM wrote:
> Matt Frisch wrote:

>> The history of the genre is relevant in this case. Many superheroes
>> have multipart names. Single named characters are the norm, not the
>> exception, in medeival fantasy.
>>
>
> The defense of Blizzard's policy is reaching ridiculous extremes. Who
> cares what the nom is regarding naming of S&S characters.

Blizzard does.
I would imagine the guys on the RP servers do.
I do.
Matt does.
I'd be willing to say the bulk of the people who want a fantasy game care
about what the norm is in fantasy fiction.

In other words, alot of people probably do. Learn to live with it.

>>>> Others can include surnames which are not functionally a
>>>> part of your name...ie: Florgan Tyrness, but the Tyrness only
>>>> appears above your head, and is not actually a part of your
>>>> character's identity.
>>>>
>>> That alone would have been preferable to what is available now.
>>
>> And is apparently a design consideration. Not that they couldn't,
>> but they didn't want to. Surnames are going to be earned in some
>> fashion. In
>> Everquest, this meant getting to level 20. You couldn't do it with a
>> new character.
>>
>
> Well, there is no such option available now, and it would be pretty
> cheap reward (as I have indicated in another post).

Seems good enough for most of us.

<snip>

>> * Consist of any title prefix attached to a character's name be it
>> fantasy-based or not (i.e. Kingmike, Presidentsanchez)
>>
>> If a player is found to have such a name for their character he/she
>> may:
>>
>> * Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via
>> email
>
> I do not believe "the Axe" could reasonably be construed as a title.

Then your would be wrong.

>>>>> Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>>>>
>>>> NWN is not a MMORPG.
>>>
>>> No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
>>
>> The rules are not even close to the same. Calling it a MORPG is
>> distorting
>> the facts as well. I got NWN the day it was released, and I have never
>> played it online.
>
> That's your option, but most people do play it online.

Most people I know -have- played it on line, but generally tend not to.
July 13, 2005 2:01:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary wrote:

> RogerM wrote:
> > Mike Kohary wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway, easy way around this is simply to use underscore:
> >> Bill_The_Axe (assuming underscore is allowed, I'm not sure that it
> >> is).
> >
> > It isn't, or I wouldn't have bothered to bring the issue up. Only
> > alphabetical characters are allowed.
>
> Oh well. Anyway, it's not that they can't do it, or even that they don't
> want to.

Well, obviously, it IS that they don't want to.

> It was by deliberate design.
>

Presumably. A very poor design, though. One that limits indentification with
and distinctiveness of your characters.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:01:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

RogerM wrote:
> Mike Kohary wrote:
>
>> RogerM wrote:
>>> Mike Kohary wrote:
>>>
>>>> Anyway, easy way around this is simply to use underscore:
>>>> Bill_The_Axe (assuming underscore is allowed, I'm not sure that it
>>>> is).
>>>
>>> It isn't, or I wouldn't have bothered to bring the issue up. Only
>>> alphabetical characters are allowed.
>>
>> Oh well. Anyway, it's not that they can't do it, or even that they
>> don't want to.
>
> Well, obviously, it IS that they don't want to.
>
>> It was by deliberate design.
>>
>
> Presumably. A very poor design, though. One that limits
> indentification with and distinctiveness of your characters.

And many of us think it's a very good design. I'd rather give up a small
touch of "identification" for not having to see "Bili the Axe" or "I love
Potatoes" running around.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:29:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

RogerM wrote:
> What's the deal with the inability to use spaces in your characters'
> names? Has Blizzard explained the reason for this?

Brevity is the soul of wit - having a limit to the number of
words/letters you're allowed creates an artistic dilemma wherein,
rather than being able to call your character whatever the hell
you want, you are forced to compress your vision for the guy
into a few pity letters.

The end result is a name which advertises you long into the
endgame as being either a person of depth (i.e.- "ApocalypsCow")
or a soul-less clod (i.e. - "LegolasClone").

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle
"Some Assembly Required"
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On 2005-07-13 03:00:19 +0200, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> said:

> Jack D wrote:
>
>> Exactly. I went looking for it on the forum, but couldnt find it. In
>> any case I'm 100% sure some Bliz rep once said you can have only one
>> name because titles and last names will be added as ingame achievements.
>
> Not much consolation for "Bilitheaxe" or "Docdoom", to be able to add a
> second name.

True, but then again reading up on the naming policy makes it quite
clear players are expected to pick a 'single word name'. Lame excuse I
know, but that's how it is anyway...

> And what a cheapass reward that is.

I think it will rather be an 'additional' reward. Such as the honor
rank prefix to your name. Purely for bragging rights, but the actual
rewards is something else (rank specific gear).
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 58 - Bloodscalp EU
Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 19 - Bloodscalp EU
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:20:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:57:56 GMT, RogerM
<rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> But what benefit do you get from having spaces? A small roleplaying
>> benefit, any more?
>
>That's enouugh. It IS an RPG, after all.

So by that logic anything that can give a small benefit (no matter how
small) in roleplaying should be implemented - no matter the
bugs/pains/additional work it requires?

>> The question is not if it _can_ be done, but if it is _worth_ doing -
>> and I for one don't think it is.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Simon Nejmann
>
>Don't you mean "Simonnejmann"?

Ooh, clever.
Running out of arguments are you Mr. RogerM?

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary schreef:
> RogerM wrote:
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>>>
>>>NWN is not a MMORPG.
>>
>>No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
>
>
> Heh, what's a MORPG? ;) 

NWN apparently is :) 
Thomas

(Never Winter Nights == Multi-player On-Line Role Playing Game)
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:59:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:58:51 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:10:00 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>
>> >Matt Frisch wrote:
>> >
>> >> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:26:52 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
>> >> scribed into the ether:
>>
>> >> The only game I know of that allows multi part names
>> >> is City of Heroes.
>> >
>> >So that's at least one that DOES allow it. So it can be done.
>>
>> The history of the genre is relevant in this case. Many superheroes have
>> multipart names. Single named characters are the norm, not the exception,
>> in medeival fantasy.
>
>The defense of Blizzard's policy is reaching ridiculous extremes. Who cares what
>the nom is regarding naming of S&S characters.

The source material is extremely relevant. What is Legolas' full name?

>> And is apparently a design consideration. Not that they couldn't, but they
>> didn't want to. Surnames are going to be earned in some fashion. In
>> Everquest, this meant getting to level 20. You couldn't do it with a new
>> character.
>
>Well, there is no such option available now, and it would be pretty cheap reward
>(as I have indicated in another post).

*shrug* Other people will enjoy it and consider it a point of pride. The
game is under no obligation to cater to you.


>>
>> Titles
>> Fantasy titles should be earned through the mechanics of the game, and
>> should not be recreated through character naming. This category includes
>> names which:
>>
>> * Consist of any title prefix attached to a character's name be it
>> fantasy-based or not (i.e. Kingmike, Presidentsanchez)
>>
>> If a player is found to have such a name for their character he/she may:
>>
>> * Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email
>
>I do not believe "the Axe" could reasonably be construed as a title.

I've seen names changed for much less.

>> >> >Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>> >>
>> >> NWN is not a MMORPG.
>> >
>> >No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
>>
>> The rules are not even close to the same. Calling it a MORPG is distorting
>> the facts as well. I got NWN the day it was released, and I have never
>> played it online.
>
>That's your option,

How many people play WoW offline?

>but most people do play it online.

Nobody I know plays it online either. I would buy "Many" people play it
online, but most? Not by a longshot.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:01:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:01:52 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
scribed into the ether:

>Mike Kohary wrote:
>
>> RogerM wrote:
>> > Mike Kohary wrote:
>> >
>> >> Anyway, easy way around this is simply to use underscore:
>> >> Bill_The_Axe (assuming underscore is allowed, I'm not sure that it
>> >> is).
>> >
>> > It isn't, or I wouldn't have bothered to bring the issue up. Only
>> > alphabetical characters are allowed.
>>
>> Oh well. Anyway, it's not that they can't do it, or even that they don't
>> want to.
>
>Well, obviously, it IS that they don't want to.
>
>> It was by deliberate design.
>>
>
>Presumably. A very poor design, though. One that limits indentification with
>and distinctiveness of your characters.

I never have a problem identifying with my characters. If they want
distinctiveness, then give us the ability to LOOK different. My name
certainly doesn't accomplish much in that regard...now, that my Hunter is a
L60 female troll, *that* is distinctiveness. I think the highest level
Female/Hunter/Troll I've seen besides myself was like level 20.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:09:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
news:jvvad1p78bacaciq168dtq8ruqmutuea59@4ax.com...


>
> The source material is extremely relevant. What is Legolas' full name?
>

Legomyeggolas.

Or so I heard. :>

--
Dav
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:36:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:09:04 -0400, "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com>
scribed into the ether:

>
>
>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>news:jvvad1p78bacaciq168dtq8ruqmutuea59@4ax.com...
>
>
>>
>> The source material is extremely relevant. What is Legolas' full name?
>>
>
>Legomyeggolas.
>
>Or so I heard. :>

Quick glance read parsed that as Let Go Of My Anus....
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:36:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
news:p tjbd158pejm3s5m6r6bhledqesvnfvk93@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:09:04 -0400, "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>
> >
> >
> >"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> >news:jvvad1p78bacaciq168dtq8ruqmutuea59@4ax.com...
> >
> >
> >>
> >> The source material is extremely relevant. What is Legolas' full name?
> >>
> >
> >Legomyeggolas.
> >
> >Or so I heard. :>
>
> Quick glance read parsed that as Let Go Of My Anus....
>

....

Definitely not where I was going. But strangely relevant, both for this
thread, and elves in general.


--
Dav
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:00:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Mike Kohary schreef:
> Thomas J. Boschloo wrote:
>
>>Mike Kohary schreef:
>>
>>>RogerM wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>Even NWN let me use cool two or three word names.
>>>>>
>>>>>NWN is not a MMORPG.
>>>>
>>>>No, it's a MORPG. Your point?
>>>
>>>Heh, what's a MORPG? ;) 
>>
>>NWN apparently is :) 
>>Thomas
>>
>>(Never Winter Nights == Multi-player On-Line Role Playing Game)
>
>
> <groan> You gotta be kidding me. Then Quake 3 and Half-Life are really
> MFPS games? I think it's safe to assume that many, many games can be played
> online with your friends these days without denoting each one as
> M-something-or-other.

Quake III (Team) Arena is mainly an OFPS :-) Half-Life has a good single
player mode AFAIK (I have it standing here with all the add-ons
(including Counter Strike) but I never actually played it very long).
Wolfenstein 3D was a true FPS IIRC. Doom and especially Quake I could be
played on-line.

> NWN is an RPG, pure and simple. It CAN be played online with your buddies,
> but it's clearly geared towards the single-player experience. In contrast,
> WoW can't be played single-player at all. Online-only games are the only
> ones that should be denoted as "M-anything Online". Our complaining friend
> here (RogerM, of course, not you Thomas) is down to simply picking nits.

I never played NWN, but from the thread I understand that it is not
Massively Multi-Player like WoW clearly is!

Thomas
- --
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iQB5AwUBQtZF3QEP2l8iXKAJAQHs8gMbBjqYo/QsvqVQ2lLwoe/ppL3JmVNAU0xg
/Xg2JTMVh1FUDa0li3AXXE2GyeaS8VBjKvoTfZ5Yp3jYoSyhtWoMeJZWiG/ZzA0u
uJUNZA3iMTxlpvFE45PrqJ2pqdj/9FS/apsqeA==
=v8fs
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
July 15, 2005 2:02:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Mike Kohary wrote:

> Thomas J. Boschloo wrote:
>
> > Half-Life has a good
> > single player mode AFAIK (I have it standing here with all the add-ons
> > (including Counter Strike) but I never actually played it very long).
> > Wolfenstein 3D was a true FPS IIRC. Doom and especially Quake I could
> > be played on-line.
>
> Right. Point is (and I know this is just nitpicky semantics, but it was the
> OP that started nitpicking it so I feel justified), nobody considers these
> "online games". Except for Quake 3, they are single-player games that also
> have online modes, some of them very good and some of them very bad. None
> of them are massively multiplayer online. All of them are commonly referred
> to as FPS. I see no need for the new monikers the OP suggested. ;) 
>

Just one of the things you don't see, apparently.

>
> >> NWN is an RPG, pure and simple. It CAN be played online with your
> >> buddies, but it's clearly geared towards the single-player
> >> experience. In contrast, WoW can't be played single-player at all.
> >> Online-only games are the only ones that should be denoted as
> >> "M-anything Online". Our complaining friend here (RogerM, of
> >> course, not you Thomas) is down to simply picking nits.
> >
> > I never played NWN, but from the thread I understand that it is not
> > Massively Multi-Player like WoW clearly is!
>
> Right, it's not. Again, it's primarily a single-player game that can be
> played online with friends if you wish. But the meat of the game is in the
> single-player content. Great game, by the way, you should pick it up if you
> like fantasy RPGs and D&D in particular.
>

If you think it's a good solo game and of limited interest for online play, you
don't know the game very well. Online NWN is far superior to solo.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:59:17 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:58:51 GMT, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca>
>scribed into the ether:

>>
>>The defense of Blizzard's policy is reaching ridiculous extremes. Who cares what
>>the nom is regarding naming of S&S characters.
>
>The source material is extremely relevant. What is Legolas' full name?

Is or was?

Legolas Greenleaf

He was a friend of Sam Gamgee, Peregrine Took, Meriadoc Brandybuck and
Frodo Baggins, who was the nephew of Bilbo Baggins, who had been
accompanied on his quest by Thorin Oakenshield.


TB

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
!