Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Connection Keeps Dropping

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Connection
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:03:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I use dial up (I know, I know) and every 10-30 minutes the connection will
just cut out. This only started happening the last few days, no changes to
OS. I have tried two different services, so I do not believe it is the ISP.
After 3-4 times of the connection dropping and me re-connecting, the
connection stays constant. The modem is a Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
running with Windows XP. Any ideas on what is doing this?

More about : connection dropping

May 9, 2005 11:02:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:3e9u0tF1vl22U1@individual.net,
Sol Rosenburg <anonymous@hotmail.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> I use dial up (I know, I know) and every 10-30 minutes the connection
> will just cut out. This only started happening the last few days, no
> changes to OS. I have tried two different services, so I do not
> believe it is the ISP. After 3-4 times of the connection dropping and
> me re-connecting, the connection stays constant. The modem is a Agere
> Systems PCI Soft Modem running with Windows XP. Any ideas on what is
> doing this?

Disconnect from the internet.
Pick up your phone.
Dial 1.
Listen...

Does it make noises?

Have you been having bad weather?

You're probably getting cut off by the line itself.

Did you adjust your modems settings to only connect at a certain speed? If
so that too could be the problem.

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:19:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I am inclined to agree with Galen.........you likely have a problem in your
phone line or possibly the inside wiring or devices in your home. If you
have a phone cord long enough to pass through a window and reach the Network
Interface, provided by the phone company.....you can unplug the house wiring
from the Central Office side and plug your computer directly onto the line
(of course, all of your phones will be dead during this time). If your
computer works, then suspect trouble inside.......if you still have
failures, have the phone service provider check your line....
any kind of short, ground, cross, high open, etc. can cause enough 'noise'
to drop a connection. If the phone company is doing work anywhere along the
cable that carries your 'pair', this could also result in your disconnects.
If you suspect trouble in the home, start by unplugging everything connected
to the phone line, to include cable tv boxes, alarm systems, remote ringers,
etc. If you are using a surge protector....bypass it by connecting directly
from the modem to the RJ-11 (phone jack). If the problem ceases, suspect
something you have unplugged as inducing noise on the line. You could still
have problems in the wiring or jacks. Inspect any exposed wiring outside
for comprimises in the sheath....usually shows up as a greenish looking
spot, due to the oxidized copper. Phone jacks in moisture prone areas, even
if unused, can become corroded and cause noisy shorts.....especially,
outside jacks, those in washrooms/bathrooms. Sometimes the cure is as
simple as replacing a jack. When you unplug a cord, be sure to inspect the
contacts....they should be shiny gold...if black/green, replace cord and
associated jack.
Heirloom, old and retired phone dude


"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eiugqsOVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:3e9u0tF1vl22U1@individual.net,
> Sol Rosenburg <anonymous@hotmail.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
>> I use dial up (I know, I know) and every 10-30 minutes the connection
>> will just cut out. This only started happening the last few days, no
>> changes to OS. I have tried two different services, so I do not
>> believe it is the ISP. After 3-4 times of the connection dropping and
>> me re-connecting, the connection stays constant. The modem is a Agere
>> Systems PCI Soft Modem running with Windows XP. Any ideas on what is
>> doing this?
>
> Disconnect from the internet.
> Pick up your phone.
> Dial 1.
> Listen...
>
> Does it make noises?
>
> Have you been having bad weather?
>
> You're probably getting cut off by the line itself.
>
> Did you adjust your modems settings to only connect at a certain speed? If
> so that too could be the problem.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:16:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

Click Start >Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click your dialup connection and
select properties. Look under Idle time before hanging up. You may wish to increase this time or set
it to never. Click OK.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

In memory of Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Sol Rosenburg" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3e9u0tF1vl22U1@individual.net...
>I use dial up (I know, I know) and every 10-30 minutes the connection will
> just cut out. This only started happening the last few days, no changes to
> OS. I have tried two different services, so I do not believe it is the ISP.
> After 3-4 times of the connection dropping and me re-connecting, the
> connection stays constant. The modem is a Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
> running with Windows XP. Any ideas on what is doing this?
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:42:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

This is what I get from the Event Viewer:


Type: Failure Aud
Event ID: 615
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network
interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the
machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as
desired by the applied IPSec filiters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to
futher diagnose the problem.



????????????????????
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:15:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I understand you have an Event ID 615 error in event viewer relating to
IPSec services. Please let me know if I have this wrong.

Based on my research, you can try to perform the following suggestions to
isolate the issue:

Suggestion 1: Please disable Windows Firewall and see whether the error
will disappear.

To disable the Internet Connection Firewall, let's perform the following
steps:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet Connections, and
then click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the connection on which you would like to enable Internet
Connection Firewall, and then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, clear the Protect my computer or network box.

Suggestion 2: The event ID 615 means that the IPSEC PolicyAgent service has
been disabled. Please perform the following steps to enable it:

1. Start -> Run
2. services.msc
3. Double click the IPSEC services.
4. Click the Start button.
5. Set the startup type as "Automatic"
6. Click OK.
7. Close Service Manager.
8. Restart the computer.

Suggestion 3: Update the driver for your modem

Suggestion 4: Try to perform a Clean Boot to check if the issue caused by
some third-party applications or services.

Please follow this suggestion to isolate this problem:

1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
(without the quotation marks). Click OK.

2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click to select
the Selective Startup button.

3. Click to clear the check mark from the "Load startup items" below
Selective Startup.

4. Click the Services tab, click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services"
box, and remove all the check marks from the remained Non-Microsoft
Services. *note that please make sure that you do not uncheck the Microsoft
services.

5. Click OK to close the MSConfig window. Click Yes when you are asked to
restart your computer in order to enable the changes.

6. After restarting, please check whether this issue will reoccur.

If this issue does NOT reoccur following the Selective Startup, please
continue these steps to find the exact cause:

1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box type "MSCONFIG" (without the
quotation marks), and click OK.

2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click the Startup
tab or the Services tab.

3. Add one check mark at a time to the entries under the Startup tab or the
Services tab, and then restart each time to see if the additional entry
reproduces the original problem.

Suggestion 5: Does the system have a LAN card? If not, you can try to
install a NIC to check the issue.

HTH! If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

====================================================================

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

=====================================================================

--------------------
>From: "Sol Rosenburg" <anonymous@hotmail.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
>Subject: Re: Connection Keeps Dropping
>Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 21:42:20 -0400
>Lines: 19
>Message-ID: <3eahs1F233f0U1@individual.net>
>References: <3e9u0tF1vl22U1@individual.net>
<eiugqsOVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>
>X-Trace: individual.net j+4cPHxf1ZxOZWEwcJ3uFwBmqS49HYDu02zA3/q1BQHZVCYoVZ
>X-Priority: 3
>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
>X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
>Path:
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfe
ed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!n
ot-for-mail
>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:25617
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
>
>This is what I get from the Event Viewer:
>
>
>Type: Failure Aud
>Event ID: 615
>User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
>
>Description:
>IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
network
>interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the
>machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as
>desired by the applied IPSec filiters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to
>futher diagnose the problem.
>
>
>
>????????????????????
>
>
>
May 10, 2005 2:29:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:3eahs1F233f0U1@individual.net,
Sol Rosenburg <anonymous@hotmail.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> This is what I get from the Event Viewer:
>
>
> Type: Failure Aud
> Event ID: 615
> User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
>
> Description:
> IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
> network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security
> hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not
> get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filiters. Please
> run IPSec monitor snap-in to futher diagnose the problem.
>
>
>
> ????????????????????

IPSec shouldn't have anything to do with *most* dialup networks. Is this
dialing into a VPN or the like? Check the phone lines first would be my
thoughts. Start small and work your way up.

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
!