Sign in with
Your question

Old Dell problems.

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2012 11:00:18 AM

Hello, I have a computer that is not working. I'm not really hardware-saavy, I'm more of a software, so please excuse any misunderstandings and errors etc. Well it's a dell, and its rather old. I'm not exactly sure exactly what model it is, but the label says "Windows 2000 Proffesional 1-2CPU". By the way, it runs Windows XP. Here are several pictures just in case.
Spoiler

So, with that, let's get to the problem at hand. Whenever I try to turn it on, the light turns orange instead of green. And I get no output, like the comnputer isnt even on. I have tried holding the power button down, and making sure everything is plugged in correctly and securely. I've tried unplugging and plugging the power. The power is definitely on. Please help.

More about : dell problems

August 5, 2012 11:52:54 PM

Edit, this may be manual for your computer: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700c/...

There are many things that can cause this. The standard debugging approach is to pull parts out until the PC completes Power On Self Test. You know its posted when it starts beeping at you.

For example, pull the video card. Power up machine. Did it POST? no
Now pull both memory DIMMS. Power up. Did it POST, YES try dimms one at a time. NO, then pull hard drive power and signal cables.

Eventually either the machine posts or you are left with jsut the Power Supply, Motherboard and CPU. IF the machine doesn't post most often its a failed power supply then next most often its the motherboard.

Here is a good ref for new builds, if you think sideways jsut a bit you can use it to help you find the problem. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Here are what your PC is telling you with the power light

Power control

push button

Power light

green light — Blinking green in sleep state; solid green for power-on state.

amber light — Blinking amber indicates a problem with an installed device; solid amber indicates an internal power problem (see "Power Problems" in your Dell Dimension Owner's Manual).

Hard-drive access light

green

Link integrity light (on integrated network adapter)

green light — A good connection exists between a 10-Mbps network and the computer.

orange light — A good connection exists between a 100-Mbps network and the computer.

off (no light) — The computer is not detecting a physical connection to the network.

Activity light (on integrated network adapter)

yellow blinking light

Diagnostic lights

four lights on the back panel (See "Diagnostic Lights" in your Dell Dimension Owner's Manual.)

Standby power light

AUX_PWR on the system board

Activity light (optional Flash Card Reader)

green blinking light
m
l
!