Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Video Driver
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2012 6:53:42 PM

Hello,

I recently was encountering artifacting on my monitor, a checkerboard type with large squares. It would flash on the screen and then disappear. This got worse and worse until the screen started shutting off too and gave me a "driver has failed and recovered message" when it came back on.

After this i tried to reinstall drivers so i uninstalled catalyst (running a hd 7970 card) and rolled back the video card driver (it rolled back to a very old basic VGA driver from 2006).

When i went to restart the computer wont recognize the monitor anyone. I tried plugging the monitor into both the motherboard VGA/DVI port's and it still wont recognize the monitor.

Before I restarted I plugged it into the mother boards DVI and it was displaying.

Is the video card fried or is there something else i can do to at least see if I can get the monitor back on??

Thanks.

Specs:
750W PSU corsair
i7-3770k
radeon 7970 3gb
asrock extreme4 mobo
8gb ddr3 1600 ram
128gb ssd

More about : rolled back video driver monitor wont turn

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 14, 2012 7:28:41 PM

Try reinstall the driver in safe mode.
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:52:14 PM

Can you see the bios startup? Is it just failing after the windows load up screen? If blank after load up screen as earlier suggested go into boot mode, go into control panel/device manager and make sure the video drivers are uninstalled. Then install the new drivers again.

If you're not seeing even the bios screen does your monitor even display its own setup menu? If not even its own menu then the monitor is bad. To allow this community to help you more please be as descriptive as possible. Saying your monitor won't work tells me that the green power light doesn't even light up not that it won't load in windows.
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:21:49 PM

Hi sorry,

At no point do i see anything display on the screen when I hit my computers power button.

The monitor itself will shut on if you press the power button, but will go back to power save mode immediately because it doesnt detect a connection. I plugged it into my laptop and it works just fine

Its a dell u2312, it has dvi/mini dp/usb/vga connections
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:30:19 PM

rugs729 said:
Hi sorry,

At no point do i see anything display on the screen when I hit my computers power button.

The monitor itself will shut on if you press the power button, but will go back to power save mode immediately because it doesnt detect a connection. I plugged it into my laptop and it works just fine

Its a dell u2312, it has dvi/mini dp/usb/vga connections

If your monitor is proven to be working with your laptop but you can't even see the bios then its not a driver issue. Your monitor should boot up in VGA mode, and if you can't see your monitor from your GPU or motherboard then I would start to question if your computer is the problem of not booting up. Does your fans come on? Does your HDD light blink? Can you use another monitor?
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:51:17 PM

I tried another monitor in the mobo VGA port and it responded the same way. The computer itself boots up, fans come in, im not sure about hard drive light
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:56:22 PM

rugs729 said:
I tried another monitor in the mobo VGA port and it responded the same way. The computer itself boots up, fans come in, im not sure about hard drive light

Sounds to me like the computer is turned on but not booting. turn your computer off and unplug all your drives, and everything unnecessary for booting up. See if something is grounding out the pwr supply.
m
l
June 15, 2012 4:34:46 AM

mmilner1 said:
Sounds to me like the computer is turned on but not booting. turn your computer off and unplug all your drives, and everything unnecessary for booting up. See if something is grounding out the pwr supply.

ok i will try tomorrow thanks
m
l
June 16, 2012 12:28:39 AM

mmilner1 said:

Ok so I unseated my vid card and now my monitor works again, in VGA mode. Does this mean the card is dead? or should i try to download catalyst 12.6 or an older version (was running 12.4)
m
l
June 17, 2012 2:52:07 PM

any ideas yall? i tried both pci-e ports and same result.

with no video card plugged in the computer works fine( i can even run witcher 2 at 10fps with onboard!:) 

I am RMA'ing the card but i will have it in possession until the new one arrives
m
l
June 22, 2012 3:40:14 AM

in conclusion,

RMA card was received, installed it and everything now works! *crosses fingers*
m
l
!