PDC E6300 to C2Q Q8400, still worth it?

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
i'm planning to upgrade my pc for gaming (not so hardcore sometimes i feel like i just want to play the game smoothly in a decent graphic setting) and replacing my processor is what i am considering right now, since i think everything in my system is still working fine, and it's kinda outdated. i'm using Pentium Dual Core E6300 and just planning to replace it with Core2Quad Q8400, because budget is still my concern and i'm thinking of still using my mobo. would it still be worth it? it costs around $138 from where i'm living (philippines). where as if i would replace my motherboard and buy AMD FX-6100, i'd say that i should stretch my budget up to $210.

here are some of the games i usually play:
ACIII
sleeping dogs
dota2
league of legends

oh and would it help my pc to run faster if i'll be upgrading my memory to 8GB?

thank you very much!

here's my current set up:

proc: Intel Dual Core E6300 2.8ghz
mobo: ASUS P5G41T-M LX3
RAM: 4GB RAM
PSU: FSP Epsilon 600W
CPU fan: Coolermaster Hyper TX3+
GPU: Inno3D GTS 450 1GB DDR5 128bit
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 80GB
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 250GB
case(?): Coolermaster Elite 310

cmi86

Distinguished
You will see a large difference in games and programs threaded to use more than 2 cores. Also a large difference in overall performance of the machine while gaming as there is extra cpu power to run other applications in the background like media players, web browsers, down loads etc.. Also the RAM will help in multitasking. Most games will not suck up 4 GB but the extra ram helps again for the background tasks.

cmi86

Distinguished
Also it depends how much you are going to pay for the Q8400 to say if it's "worth it" anything under $75 i'd say go for it. My back up runs a C2Q @ 3.0 Ghz and a GTX-260 and still runs any game i have thrown at it at mid-high settings at 50-60 FPS.

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

yeah, that's what i was thinking too. i'm pretty sure that C2Q can still carry any game very smoothly plus, i don't have to switch on a motherboard anymore. but the problem is that it costs almost $140 (converted price).

chanelight

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
you will get quite good improvement, especially if you use applications or play games that are multithreaded.

surely it won't be the best for gaming, but still sufficient to handle some current gen fast cards. my X6800 on stock still can handle a HD 6870, although bottlenecking badly. but I still can play dirt 3 on ultra settings. I also can play dota 2 smoothly. but I'm not sure about sleeping dogs :-S

adding RAM won't help that much, but it's advisable. nowadays, 8GB is becoming standard for common computers :)

cmi86

Distinguished

@ $140.00 I could not justify the investment. for $80 more you could have an i5, new motherboard and 8GB of ram.

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

uhm yeaah, it's kinda overpriced here. as i scroll now in my pricelist, Intel Core i5-2320 costs almost 200 which is not really a good investment. :| well at least C2D E7500 costs $80, will it still be worth it? i guess what's really cheap here is AMD FX-6100 which costs almost $130. now that i find really future proof (if i'm not mistaken) and buying this with a new motherboard together with another RAM stick would probably cost me around 200.

btw, $1=php43+