My system setup is as follows,
MSI 870a-G52
Phenom X4 955 at 3.8ghz per core.
12 gig Gskill DDR3 PC# 10700
2 6870's 1gig running in crossfire X16 X4
64 gig Crucial Sata 3gbs SSD
500 gig 7200 rpm drive
Latest Catalyst drivers

I purchased the cards in march looking for an upgrade to the Geforce 460 I was running and when I got them I thought they were much faster And they are. But the more I play the more I noticed the micro stutter. I am very sensitive to frame rate changes and today I just got tired of it and disabled crossfire. Instantly all the games I tested Skyrim, D3, and other were silky smooth. Im asking here in case someone know some way to improve the performance of the cards crossfired. I didnt even notice a performance hit other than the stuttering was gone but I hate to have dropped all that money on a wasted card, if i had know it would do that I would have went with a higher end single card instead of getting two mid range cards. Just curious anyhow if there was something I could do about it or just remove the extra card and lose the heat. . .
4 answers Last reply
More about crossfire 6870 performance
  1. Hmm... Well your system isn't bottlenecked by the crossfire setup, 3.8ghz X4 Phenom and 12GB of ram should be just fine with 2 6870's....What is your PSU?? It could have something to do with your system not getting enough juice.
  2. I would think the PSU im using would be sufficient. Rosewill 850W
  3. what drivers are you using..I'd suggest 11-4 and 11-4 cap2 ..Disable windows aero ..And try a 3rd party program like sapphire trixx to disable ulps..
    I have 2 6850's in x-fire and 11-4 is the best driver for x-fire..no microstutter..If your using the newest 12-4 that's the reason it's better with 1 card..No idea what they did but it killed x-fire for these cards..
  4. I wondered if x16 x4 was my problem but the manual says that all the second pcix slot supports . . . I guess without a new mobo im kinda screwed
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance Crossfire Graphics