Sign in with
Your question

I transferred my old PC to new a case but nothing on the screen!

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2012 3:24:26 PM

Hi,

I transferred my old PC, which I didn't use for a long time and has a dead PSU, into a new case (TX Sonic 460W Midi Tower).

After finishing the job, I pressed the power button. Everything seems to work nicely, CPU's and GPU's fan are working but there is nothing on the monitor, however "No signal" warning doesn't appear too, just black!

My power supply has PCI-e cable and my GPU is AGP but it seems to work perfectly without any power connector. Later I used 2x4 power connector of my old case, but this time PC didn't start!

So where is the problem? Any ideas?

PS I didn't use the ATX 12 V connector also. When I plug it in, nothing works again!

MOBO: 775Dual-VSTA (http://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/775Dual-VSTA/)
GPU: ATI HD 3850 AGP
CPU: Pentium D 2.80 800 mhz
August 5, 2012 4:08:49 PM

geofelt said:
Your graphics card needs a 6 pin pci-e power connector to work.

Also, there is a 4 pin cpu power connector that usually needs to be filled.

You may need an adapter such as this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My GPU has 8 pin, so why do I need 6 pin?
Related resources
August 5, 2012 4:17:22 PM

f451 said:
My GPU has 8 pin, so why do I need 6 pin?

OOPS! you are right, it is 6 pin. A really old and inefficient card.

I suspect that the problem may lie in the direction of your psu.
Excepting antec, cases with included psu's are mostly junk and do not deliver advertised power.

A graphics card that needs an 8 pin connector will draw up to 150w from the connector, plus up to 75w from the slot.
Probably too much for a poor quality 460w psu.

On the side of your psu will be a data plate. How many watts or amps does it list for the +12v rail/s?
August 5, 2012 4:27:55 PM

It says:

+12V1: 14A
+12V2: 16A
August 5, 2012 4:50:09 PM

I'm not sure this is the right one but last line says MAX: 155W and below it, 384W. And also says continous power 400w and peak p. 460w
!