Budget Range: 150

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts to Upgrade: CPU or GPU, my PSU is ULTRA LS600

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Parts Preferences: no preference

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I only have around $150 to upgrade either my GPU (currently EVGA GT240) or my CPU (currently Athlon 2 X2 250), wondering which I should upgrade

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I want to be able to play newer games smoothly

Solution
Well If you're going for straight up gaming the gpu upgrade would be the way to go id suggest to get a 550 ti (click)
and your power supply will work with it

BUT if you plan on doing any video work get a new CPU defiantly need your motherboard info though

EDIT: changed it to ncix

moomoomage

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Well If you're going for straight up gaming the gpu upgrade would be the way to go id suggest to get a 550 ti (click)
and your power supply will work with it

BUT if you plan on doing any video work get a new CPU defiantly need your motherboard info though

EDIT: changed it to ncix

Solution

spaceace1014

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Both your CPU and your GPU are pretty weak. Moomoomage's suggestion of a 550ti is a good one and definitely the one I'd go with but only if you're not a major player of CPU intensive games like Civilization 5 and Supreme Commander.

Your PSU is serviceable for cards and processors in that range.

spaceace1014

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Actually now that I think about it a good way to tell which one would be better for you would be to do this simple test. Open up a game you've been playing alot or want to play and get a sense of the frame-rate. for extra accuracy use fraps or something like it to see the actual frame-rate. Lower your graphics settings all the way down. If the framerate improved its your graphics card... if not you need a cpu.

azstriker10

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
yeah, i usually play Battlefield 3 and similar fps games, and games like Skyrim, GTA and Assassin's Creed. I'm pretty sure lowering the settings improved the fps quite a bit.

Also, should I go for the gtx550 ti or the xfx hd6850 which goes for around the same price?