Budget Range: 150

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts to Upgrade: CPU or GPU, my PSU is ULTRA LS600

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Parts Preferences: no preference

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I only have around $150 to upgrade either my GPU (currently EVGA GT240) or my CPU (currently Athlon 2 X2 250), wondering which I should upgrade

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I want to be able to play newer games smoothly

More about : 150 upgrade cpu gpu

Best solution

August 5, 2012 4:55:17 PM

Well If you're going for straight up gaming the gpu upgrade would be the way to go id suggest to get a 550 ti (click)
and your power supply will work with it

BUT if you plan on doing any video work get a new CPU defiantly need your motherboard info though

EDIT: changed it to ncix
Related resources
August 5, 2012 5:10:39 PM

thanks, my mobo is an ASUS M4A 785-M
m
l
August 5, 2012 5:36:18 PM

Both your CPU and your GPU are pretty weak. Moomoomage's suggestion of a 550ti is a good one and definitely the one I'd go with but only if you're not a major player of CPU intensive games like Civilization 5 and Supreme Commander.

Your PSU is serviceable for cards and processors in that range.
m
l
August 5, 2012 5:41:03 PM

Actually now that I think about it a good way to tell which one would be better for you would be to do this simple test. Open up a game you've been playing alot or want to play and get a sense of the frame-rate. for extra accuracy use fraps or something like it to see the actual frame-rate. Lower your graphics settings all the way down. If the framerate improved its your graphics card... if not you need a cpu.
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:20:55 PM

yeah, i usually play Battlefield 3 and similar fps games, and games like Skyrim, GTA and Assassin's Creed. I'm pretty sure lowering the settings improved the fps quite a bit.

Also, should I go for the gtx550 ti or the xfx hd6850 which goes for around the same price?
m
l
!