Looking to buy a new pc need help?

baconieatdat

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: (0-1600$) before shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, video rendering, coding, surfing the web, watching movies. )

Are you buying a monitor: in the future

Parts to Upgrade:everything

Do you need to buy OS: yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any safe site

Parts Preferences: intel cpu and nvidia graphics card

Overclocking: maybe i have learn how our if somebody can tell me.

SLI or Crossfire: not right now but in a couple years ill might go for 2 gpus.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: i am looking to be able to run all games on max settings effortlessly.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: i dont have a desktop computer.)

here is a parts list that I put together but i would really appreciate advice and help. link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dTDN

i dont know if i should get an i7 sandy bridge cpu or an i5 ivy bridge cpu. suggetions?

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
That build is fine that you picked out. It will allow you to do everything you stated above. I would switch to a Hyper 212 EVO for your cooler. It will do the same job for less money.

How much video rendering are we talking? Little here and there and major amounts? If you are doing alot, you might want to think about jumping up to a i7 ivy bridge.

obsama1

Distinguished
Depends on your usage.

If you do lots of editing, the i7 will undoubtedly last longer.

If you don't do a lot, they'd last the same.

If you game, then it is's kind of a tossup. No game uses the i7's hyperthreading, since they're almost all console ports. Right now, the i5 and i7 score the same in gaming, but if in the future, if games start to use HT(Not in the near future), then the i7 will have a leg up on the i5.

I'd say to spend a bit more, and get the i7 2600K, since you might find yourself wanting to do more serious editing, but you are limited by the i5.

baconieatdat

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
should i get the ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM or the ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

obsama1

Distinguished
I mean, it does matter, but it's not the most crucial part, haha. This build will last for a long time, definitely. The case is good, the cooling is good, etc. The 670 runs any game at ultra settings, and should do that for the next few years.

obsama1

Distinguished
The CPU should still be going strong in 2-3 years, but with new consoles coming out, the graphics on PC games will improve, and stress the GPU more. The 670 should still be fine in 2-3 years, but it won't play every game in 2015 on Ultra.