Crossfire a amd 6850 gpu with a amd 3870k apu

mikebik

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
i have a 6850 running off the new 3870k apu and i wanted to know if it would bottleneck what could be the positive and negitive spec wise if i did this vs triple fire the 6670

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
that is correct, according to the graph supplied by AMD in my link, the 6850 is NOT compatable with the dual graphics setup. Especially not triple graphics. Sorry.. To be fair, it wouldn't have really made an ounce of difference to your framerates!

bavarians6

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

If that's what you're attempting, then yes. That would work. Provided you have 2 PCIe 2.0 slots on your motherboard and a strong enough power supply. A 600W power supply should be sufficient.

Sorry; I misunderstood what you were asking.

bottlenecks will be game specific afaik. check your cpu and gpu usage during gaming using windows task manager and a gpu monitoring program like gpu-z or msi afterburner.
there is no 'triple-fire' with amd apus. amd only supports 'dual graphics' aka hybrid crossfire aka asymmetric crossfire with cards radeon hd 6450, 6570 and 6670. some motherboards have pcie x8+x8 support but that's for crossfiring the two cards on the pcie slots, not for the apu and the graphics cards.

no

imo you'll have to play them to find out. iirc gta 4 is a pc version of a console game which favors strong quad core cpus. your 6850 is not enough to max out very demanding game like bf3. but you'll be able to play at medium to high settings with reasonable fps as long as the 3870k doesn't bottleneck (unlikely with a 6850).

if your motherboard has two pcie 2.0 slots supporting x8+x8 modes, then you might be able to run two 6850's in crossfire. however i suspect that the apu's cpu imght not be powerful enough to run two 6850s in crossfire. apus were designed to be run on entry level machines after all.

mikebik

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
i have a 750 watt psu and 2 pcie 2.0 Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™, CrossFireX™ and Dual Graphics.... i have run bf3 on max also mp3... i can oc my apu if needed to help?

a8 3870k is fully unlocked, you should be able to easily oc your apu. make sure you have a good cpu cooler to keep the overclocked apu run cool.