Closed Solved

AMD?

so the new FX-8350 is pretty good good enough to go against a Intel I5 3570k altho they are only 10 bucks apart and the amd has 8 cores and the rumor of intel not going to be making LGA sockets witch is better should the risk of not being able to upgrade in the future of Intel or just sacrifice a little power. so what do you think amd or intel?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. the intel 1155 socket isn't going anywhere, and the next gen of chips coming will be socket as well, i wouldn't let that affect your buying decision. and for $10 i would most definitely be buying the i5.
  2. daswilhelm said:
    the intel 1155 socket isn't going anywhere

    Actually it's going out the window fairly soon. Haswell will use the new LGA 1150 socket.

    Still, for gaming, the Core i5 is just plain better.
  3. Best answer
    daswilhelm said:
    the intel 1155 socket isn't going anywhere, and the next gen of chips coming will be socket as well, i wouldn't let that affect your buying decision. and for $10 i would most definitely be buying the i5.


    No intels next chips ARE switching to a new socket, and that SHOULD affect your decision. I bought my IB i5 knowing it was and still is the best gaming CPU you can buy. Based on the fact that a Core 2 Quad is still fine for gaming, I know my i5 will last me at least 5 years without needing a CPU upgrade.

    My advice is to wait on purchasing a CPU for now, or get my CPU if you can't wait. Don't get me wrong, the FX-8350 is a great CPU that has its use. But AMD's really great CPU line is around the corner. Steamroller (That's what it is called) will come out next year and most AMD engineers are saying it will be the massive leap they meant Bulldozer to be. Wait till then.

    Also Intel's Haswell comes out next year as well. Again I say wait until they are both out.

    Your other option is to get a Triple Core Athlon for ~$60, and then using that in an AM3+ motherboard until Steamroller is released. But I think that wastes money so again I would just get an i5 if you can't wait.
  4. i understand there is a new socket coming, he was referring to intel ditching sockets all together.
  5. daswilhelm said:
    i understand there is a new socket coming, he was referring to intel ditching sockets all together.


    Well I wouldn't hedge any bets on that.
  6. I'm with Captain Tom on this, get a 3570 k if you need to buy now or wait for both AMD and Intel to release the new chips.

    Personally I have chosen to wait.

    Mactronix :)
  7. Dont stress it, get 3570k, and enjoy a few years of great performance!
  8. Anonymous said:
    Dont stress it, get 3570k, and enjoy a few years of great performance!


    Honestly it seems like every year intel's are only gonna get 10-30% stronger. Considering many old cpu's that are a third as strong as mine game fine, I think an i5-3570k will easily last 5+ years. It has all the new technologies like PCI 3.0 and such.

    This is of coarse assuming there won't be a massive leap in that time, but even if there was it would take a year or two for developers to get a grip on it...
  9. Another vote here for the i5. This may be useful:

    http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed

    I read Steamroller is actually due 2014 now, and chances are, that will use a new socket too. Although AMD get a lot more use out of their sockets, AM3+ has been going a while now. You'll be disappointed later if you don't grab the i5, or wait for Haswell.
  10. I'm waiting for Haswell (2013) or Broadwell (2014). My C2Q Q9450 @ 3.0GHz still provides me with adequate performance and there is still room to OC.

    Whenever I decide to upgrade, it will probably be an expensive year since I am thinking up upgrading my primary rig (gaming & video encoding), my HTPC to generally lower power consumption by replacing the C2D E6600 and 9600GT (& the mobo of course) with components that are more powerful and also have low power consumption. Lastly, I will likely buy a new laptop as well.
  11. Its been difficult for a while now. Personally I want to see a worthwhile increase in performance before I will pay out for an upgrade. With AMD just not showing worthwhile improvements generation to generation, that has meant Intel have put the brakes on and are releasing incremental performance increases.
    All that boils down to me not having upgraded since Phenom II was released. I think (Am hoping) the next two chips out will finally be worth the platform change one way or another.

    Mactronix :)
  12. jaguarskx said:
    I'm waiting for Haswell (2013) or Broadwell (2014). My C2Q Q9450 @ 3.0GHz still provides me with adequate performance and there is still room to OC.

    Whenever I decide to upgrade, it will probably be an expensive year since I am thinking up upgrading my primary rig (gaming & video encoding), my HTPC to generally lower power consumption by replacing the C2D E6600 and 9600GT (& the mobo of course) with components that are more powerful and also have low power consumption. Lastly, I will likely buy a new laptop as well.


    So yeah your CPU is gonna last 5 years, and that is during a time when intel made some decent leaps in power (No where near as big as before but SB/IB is way better). At this rate I really wouldn't be surprised if my i5-3570k lasts 6+ years.

    However I would rather AMD gets its mojo back and "Force" me to buy a killer cpu in 4 years ;)
  13. i think i might just go with the i5 i might as well get the performance while its here and when the time comes i will upgrade the most part of my build is my video card and others so a new mobo and cpu wont be as bad IF i decide to upgrade to the newest
    cpu i might just upgrade to an i7 depending on what the new amd is going to be like
  14. Best answer selected by battlefieldhazard.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel i5 Intel