Sign in with
Your question

Seriously strange cpu clicking sound

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2012 4:45:39 AM

so let me start this from the beggining, ill keep it short;

i was replacing amd's stock cooler on an AMD phenom II 965 black edition, socket am3 ( 938 ) with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler when it all started to go seriously wrong.

uppon trying to remove the cooler ( which was rock solid ) the proccessor was ripped out of the socket, a large CRACKING sound occured, i imediately thought the worst, but i still kept on with the installation. placing the proccessor back into the socket, then installing the cooler. ( this is where the story becomes wierd! )

uppon turning the machine on fully assembled ( hoping and praying i didnt bust the socket ) it wouldnt pass POST.

1st turn on: no sound, fans running at full speed ( i thought the worst )

i decided to boot again

2nd boot: VERY LOUD ticking / clicking nioses for 10 seconds then 1 beep, no display.

3rd turn on: ticking then no beep

at this point i decided to do some simple house keeping, making sure all wires were in correctly etc etc

4'th boot: loud ticks post beep then display.

at this time i was seriously worried about the ticks, this was no fan grinding noise these ticks were so fine in sound; imagine a clock's tick

After putting the machine back together ( side pannel ) and booting the machine again:

5th boot: everything was perfectly fine; no ticks, post and display booted to windows

the machine is now working with one small but INSAINLY WIERD side affect, the restart switch turns the computer off and then power switch turns the machine off instantly, no longer is there a 2 second pause.

I'm ready to just chalk this up to one of those " not a clue... " moments with computers.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 20, 2012 5:41:42 AM

ben4933 said:
so let me start this from the beggining, ill keep it short;

i was replacing amd's stock cooler on an AMD phenom II 965 black edition, socket am3 ( 938 ) with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler when it all started to go seriously wrong.

uppon trying to remove the cooler ( which was rock solid ) the proccessor was ripped out of the socket, a large CRACKING sound occured, i imediately thought the worst, but i still kept on with the installation. placing the proccessor back into the socket, then installing the cooler. ( this is where the story becomes wierd! )

uppon turning the machine on fully assembled ( hoping and praying i didnt bust the socket ) it wouldnt pass POST.

1st turn on: no sound, fans running at full speed ( i thought the worst )

i decided to boot again

2nd boot: VERY LOUD ticking / clicking nioses for 10 seconds then 1 beep, no display.

3rd turn on: ticking then no beep

at this point i decided to do some simple house keeping, making sure all wires were in correctly etc etc

4'th boot: loud ticks post beep then display.

at this time i was seriously worried about the ticks, this was no fan grinding noise these ticks were so fine in sound; imagine a clock's tick

After putting the machine back together ( side pannel ) and booting the machine again:

5th boot: everything was perfectly fine; no ticks, post and display booted to windows

the machine is now working with one small but INSAINLY WIERD side affect, the restart switch turns the computer off and then power switch turns the machine off instantly, no longer is there a 2 second pause.

I'm ready to just chalk this up to one of those " not a clue... " moments with computers.

It is not the CPU, the CPU can't make sound it is all electronic there are no physical moving parts in side a processor chip. The only thing I can think of that could be making a ticking sound is theheatsink/case fans or the HDD.
December 20, 2012 6:08:03 AM

rds1220 said:
It is not the CPU, the CPU can't make sound it is all electronic there are no physical moving parts in side a processor chip. The only thing I can think of that could be making a ticking sound is theheatsink/case fans or the HDD.

yeah exactly, that's pretty much the whole meaning of this post. set aside the niose; why did it not pass post for several boots, yet after just simply restarting the computer a few more times it worked. hmm >,>
!