Solved

What are some "cool" cards? (Low temps)

I'm building a new rig this Summer.

I'm tired of the crazy heat that my GTX 480 produces (my computer increases my 10x10 room temps by a whopping 8 degrees). That's right, whopping.

I'm going to be building what is going to primarily be a workstation. I'll be using either an i5 3570k or an i7 3770k in this build, and would like a COOL graphics card to go along with it. By cool, I don't mean a card with an aftermarket cooler that'll keep the card at low temps. I'm looking for low heat output. Right now my thoughts are a GTX 670 (a 660 may be a good candidate as well). I play games, but I'm not an FPS junkie. As long as I can stay near 60 FPS on medium settings, then I don't really care. I'd *prefer* an Nvidia card, but I'm definitely open to AMD alternatives.

Would Keplar be a good choice, or should I be looking at something else?
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what cool cards temps
  1. Best answer
    Generally speaking, the lower performance the card has and the less power it draws, the less heat it will generate. Therefore, a Radeon HD 6450 produces less heat than a Radeon HD 6970, but due to the smaller heatsink on a Radeon HD 6450, it's operating temperature will not be much lower than the Radeon HD 6970 with it's massive heatsink in comparison.

The Radeon HD 7750 is an example of a card capable of providing great performance based on it's low maximum power consumption of about 43w. It's performance however, does not compare to the GTX 670 which has a max power consumption of 162w.

You should probably take a look at the following GT 670 review which includes power consumption, performance per watt and performance per $ charts to help you make a decision.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/26.html
  2. Best answer selected by JHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics