Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2012 7:18:45 AM

Hi all :hello: 

I am upgrading my CPU and was wondering what would be the best option for my current setup:

Computer:
ASRock P4i65G motherboard.
2GB RAM.
350W PSU.
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz.
DVD.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
SP3.

Monitor:
21" ASUS HD LED.

I've had a look online but its doing my head in as I am a bit ADHD (Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder) :pt1cable: 

Your feedback is appreciated :) 

More about : upgrading cpu

December 20, 2012 8:46:08 AM

C12Friedman said:
According to ASRock's info here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/?cat=CPU the best CPU supported is the Pentium 4 3.4GHz Prescott. May be found on Ebay but may be hard to find new
Hope it helps

The only difference between that and what I have now is + 1GHz.. Is that really going to improve on anything or is it going to be a waste of $$
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 à CPUs
December 20, 2012 9:07:16 AM

In some applications (games) there would be a noticable change, in others you might not even notice. It really depends on what you use your computer for and if you feel the need is there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2012 9:49:15 AM

What you need is a new CPU, MOBO and RAM.
m
l
December 20, 2012 12:49:56 PM

it's better if you build a new system :) 
m
l
December 22, 2012 3:43:52 AM

C12Friedman said:
In some applications (games) there would be a noticable change, in others you might not even notice. It really depends on what you use your computer for and if you feel the need is there.

I use PC as an all rounder such as work stuff, online games, you tube and hobby photo editing.. Whether I feel the need is there to upgrade is a yes as its lagging at the best of times on the CPU end.. I am usually running 3-4 applications at once, chopping and changing between them.
m
l
December 22, 2012 3:56:20 AM

FinneousPJ said:
What you need is a new CPU, MOBO and RAM.

I guess I am already committed as I just spent $ 296 AUD on : 2GB RAM, 350W PSU and HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP) and the most I can upgrade CPU is to Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz on this ASRock P4i65G motherboard..

On the other hand if I can get away with using this Graphics Card and RAM on another ATX motherboard then I will move in that direction and go the best supported CPU for that motherboard ? Any ideas?

Cheers.
m
l
December 22, 2012 4:02:39 AM

chanelight said:
it's better if you build a new system :) 

Yeah I did consider that before committing to buy new parts and went forward anyhow. Bad decision, I though I could get away with a few upgrades and be over with it :ouch: 
m
l
a c 122 à CPUs
December 22, 2012 5:21:12 AM

I'm afraid that there are no production motherboards that utilize DDR 400 ram. In fact I would be suprised to see a more powerful unit than yours (with the 3.4GHz CPU) using that ram. I'm under the impression you're at the top level for what you have. I may be wrong but from what I have gleened, that's my impression.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 9:08:38 AM

yass00 said:
I guess I am already committed as I just spent $ 296 AUD on : 2GB RAM, 350W PSU and HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP) and the most I can upgrade CPU is to Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz on this ASRock P4i65G motherboard..

On the other hand if I can get away with using this Graphics Card and RAM on another ATX motherboard then I will move in that direction and go the best supported CPU for that motherboard ? Any ideas?

Cheers.

I'm sorry to say you've wasted your money in the worst way possible. Just take it as a learning experience and start planning a new system. Don't waste any more money on that system!
m
l
December 22, 2012 7:48:57 PM

hafijur said:
That processor is like 11 years old. Put it this way a pentium 4 2.4ghz is just a basic spec cpu. There are computers that are 10x faster for like £150 on ebay. 4670 is low end as well. To be honest you wasted a lot of money. My laptop I bought for £330 can play games better then your desktop will and that is over 4 years old and was designed for a low profile 9600m gt and p7350 25w low powered core 2 duo.

A 3.4ghz p4 is more closer to a 1994 386 cpu then it is to any modern day quad core. Alsp a 3.4ghz consumes more electricity then an i7 3770k cpu.

A 3.4ghz p4 lets say will take 60mins to encode a video.
An ancient 6 year old core 2 quad q6600 will take probably about 5 mins to encode a video depending on cpu usage compared to around 1 hour for your 3.4ghz p4 you want to upgrade to.

Oh and your p4 will make any game run like a slideshow even the 3.4ghz one.

Check this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240590-10-core-q660...

This is a 6-7 year old core 2 duo at 2.9ghz vs a 3.2ghz p4 and it is 4.8x faster at encoding so a q6600 would be close to 10x faster and that is a 6 year old cpu and if you upgraded to an i7 3770k it will be about 30-40x faster with an ssd at encoding:
My first Core2 upgrade was from a 3.2 P4 (Northwood) to a E6600 (OC to 2.9). I can honestly say that it didn't feel any faster (Windows open at the same speed, Office Apps run the same, etc) - but when doing encoding I really noticed the difference (1hr 47 min vs 22 min).

I kind new all that but tried to get away with it anyhow.

I'll use what I have now and see what I can scrap off into eBay bit by bit and eventually after rebuilding from the ground up in the new year.

Thank you :) 
m
l
December 22, 2012 7:54:43 PM

FinneousPJ said:
I'm sorry to say you've wasted your money in the worst way possible. Just take it as a learning experience and start planning a new system. Don't waste any more money on that system!

Brutal and honest so it is just what I needed to hear!

I'll be rebuilding sometime in the New Year.

Thank you :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 9:45:03 PM

You can post a new thread to plan your new system.
m
l
!