yass00

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hi all :hello:

I am upgrading my CPU and was wondering what would be the best option for my current setup:

Computer:
ASRock P4i65G motherboard.
2GB RAM.
350W PSU.
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz.
DVD.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
SP3.

Monitor:
21" ASUS HD LED.

I've had a look online but its doing my head in as I am a bit ADHD (Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder) :pt1cable:

Your feedback is appreciated :)

yass00

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I use PC as an all rounder such as work stuff, online games, you tube and hobby photo editing.. Whether I feel the need is there to upgrade is a yes as its lagging at the best of times on the CPU end.. I am usually running 3-4 applications at once, chopping and changing between them.

yass00

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I guess I am already committed as I just spent $ 296 AUD on : 2GB RAM, 350W PSU and HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP) and the most I can upgrade CPU is to Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz on this ASRock P4i65G motherboard..

On the other hand if I can get away with using this Graphics Card and RAM on another ATX motherboard then I will move in that direction and go the best supported CPU for that motherboard ? Any ideas?

Cheers.

yass00

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Yeah I did consider that before committing to buy new parts and went forward anyhow. Bad decision, I though I could get away with a few upgrades and be over with it :ouch:

I'm afraid that there are no production motherboards that utilize DDR 400 ram. In fact I would be suprised to see a more powerful unit than yours (with the 3.4GHz CPU) using that ram. I'm under the impression you're at the top level for what you have. I may be wrong but from what I have gleened, that's my impression.

I'm sorry to say you've wasted your money in the worst way possible. Just take it as a learning experience and start planning a new system. Don't waste any more money on that system!

yass00

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I kind new all that but tried to get away with it anyhow.

I'll use what I have now and see what I can scrap off into eBay bit by bit and eventually after rebuilding from the ground up in the new year.

Thank you :)

yass00

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Brutal and honest so it is just what I needed to hear!

I'll be rebuilding sometime in the New Year.

Thank you :)