Upgrading CPU

Hi all :hello:

I am upgrading my CPU and was wondering what would be the best option for my current setup:

Computer:
ASRock P4i65G motherboard.
2GB RAM.
350W PSU.
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz.
DVD.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
SP3.

Monitor:
21" ASUS HD LED.

I've had a look online but its doing my head in as I am a bit ADHD (Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder) :pt1cable:

Your feedback is appreciated :)
13 answers Last reply
More about upgrading
  1. According to ASRock's info here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/?cat=CPU the best CPU supported is the Pentium 4 3.4GHz Prescott. May be found on Ebay but may be hard to find new
    Hope it helps
  2. C12Friedman said:
    According to ASRock's info here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/?cat=CPU the best CPU supported is the Pentium 4 3.4GHz Prescott. May be found on Ebay but may be hard to find new
    Hope it helps

The only difference between that and what I have now is + 1GHz.. Is that really going to improve on anything or is it going to be a waste of $$
  3. In some applications (games) there would be a noticable change, in others you might not even notice. It really depends on what you use your computer for and if you feel the need is there.
  4. What you need is a new CPU, MOBO and RAM.
  5. it's better if you build a new system :)
  6. C12Friedman said:
    In some applications (games) there would be a noticable change, in others you might not even notice. It really depends on what you use your computer for and if you feel the need is there.

I use PC as an all rounder such as work stuff, online games, you tube and hobby photo editing.. Whether I feel the need is there to upgrade is a yes as its lagging at the best of times on the CPU end.. I am usually running 3-4 applications at once, chopping and changing between them.
  7. FinneousPJ said:
    What you need is a new CPU, MOBO and RAM.

I guess I am already committed as I just spent $ 296 AUD on : 2GB RAM, 350W PSU and HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP) and the most I can upgrade CPU is to Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz on this ASRock P4i65G motherboard..

On the other hand if I can get away with using this Graphics Card and RAM on another ATX motherboard then I will move in that direction and go the best supported CPU for that motherboard ? Any ideas?

Cheers.
  8. chanelight said:
    it's better if you build a new system :)

Yeah I did consider that before committing to buy new parts and went forward anyhow. Bad decision, I though I could get away with a few upgrades and be over with it :ouch:
  9. I'm afraid that there are no production motherboards that utilize DDR 400 ram. In fact I would be suprised to see a more powerful unit than yours (with the 3.4GHz CPU) using that ram. I'm under the impression you're at the top level for what you have. I may be wrong but from what I have gleened, that's my impression.
  10. yass00 said:
    I guess I am already committed as I just spent $ 296 AUD on : 2GB RAM, 350W PSU and HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit graphics card (AGP) and the most I can upgrade CPU is to Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz on this ASRock P4i65G motherboard..

On the other hand if I can get away with using this Graphics Card and RAM on another ATX motherboard then I will move in that direction and go the best supported CPU for that motherboard ? Any ideas?

Cheers.

I'm sorry to say you've wasted your money in the worst way possible. Just take it as a learning experience and start planning a new system. Don't waste any more money on that system!
  11. hafijur said:
    That processor is like 11 years old. Put it this way a pentium 4 2.4ghz is just a basic spec cpu. There are computers that are 10x faster for like £150 on ebay. 4670 is low end as well. To be honest you wasted a lot of money. My laptop I bought for £330 can play games better then your desktop will and that is over 4 years old and was designed for a low profile 9600m gt and p7350 25w low powered core 2 duo.

A 3.4ghz p4 is more closer to a 1994 386 cpu then it is to any modern day quad core. Alsp a 3.4ghz consumes more electricity then an i7 3770k cpu.

A 3.4ghz p4 lets say will take 60mins to encode a video.
    An ancient 6 year old core 2 quad q6600 will take probably about 5 mins to encode a video depending on cpu usage compared to around 1 hour for your 3.4ghz p4 you want to upgrade to.

Oh and your p4 will make any game run like a slideshow even the 3.4ghz one.

Check this thread:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240590-10-core-q6600

This is a 6-7 year old core 2 duo at 2.9ghz vs a 3.2ghz p4 and it is 4.8x faster at encoding so a q6600 would be close to 10x faster and that is a 6 year old cpu and if you upgraded to an i7 3770k it will be about 30-40x faster with an ssd at encoding:
    My first Core2 upgrade was from a 3.2 P4 (Northwood) to a E6600 (OC to 2.9). I can honestly say that it didn't feel any faster (Windows open at the same speed, Office Apps run the same, etc) - but when doing encoding I really noticed the difference (1hr 47 min vs 22 min).

I kind new all that but tried to get away with it anyhow.

I'll use what I have now and see what I can scrap off into eBay bit by bit and eventually after rebuilding from the ground up in the new year.

Thank you :)
  12. FinneousPJ said:
    I'm sorry to say you've wasted your money in the worst way possible. Just take it as a learning experience and start planning a new system. Don't waste any more money on that system!

Brutal and honest so it is just what I needed to hear!

I'll be rebuilding sometime in the New Year.

Thank you :)
  13. You can post a new thread to plan your new system.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs