I5 2500k. Good Motherboard? And what's the best Cooler?

Hello all. So recently I've decided to upgrade my processor from a Phenom II x4 965 at 3.9GHz, to an i5 2500k. The reason being that I have a huge bottleneck with my GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP. I think I have the motherboard figured out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157296 But then I only have about $60 for the cooler (I'd already have to get a second hand processor or mobo.) Currently I have a Corsair H50 in push/pull that I intend to give to my brother. I'm not sure what I should get in terms of a cooler. Maybe a Zalman 9900? Or Thermaltake Frio? I intend to overclock around 4.3-4.6 GHz. If you guys have any recommendations they'd be greatly appreciated. Also: Should I go for something like an older i7 860 I could get my hands on? or a 920? And I have an Antec 300 case if you guys were curious. Thanks!

-Justin
4 answers Last reply
More about 2500k good motherboard what cooler
  1. Pay the $10 more and get i5 3570k. You motherboard is good. If you want to get to 4.3 to 4.6 it won't even need a high end cooler. My hyper 212+ with just push keeps me 55-65C well below the 90C limit. I'd expect similar from the 3570k. If you really want to spend the cash Noctua NH-D14 >.> but something like COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 $34 will do you just fine. Also, don't get an 860 or 920 they aren't worth it.
  2. Alright thanks for the response. If the computer I'm trying to sell finally does sell, then I'll be able to upgrade. And you think a Hyper 212+ would do a good job? Should I opt for push/pull as well and grab a Blade Master 120mm fan?
  3. It's up to you. I'd just get the hyper n 520 I linked. $34 and free shipping is hard to beat for price/performance.
  4. If you want the BEST cooler then you'll need water or a refrigeration system... but The Noctua that was mentioned by Crewton is amazing if you want an air cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cooling Intel i5 Motherboards Systems Product