funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Ok, I wanna get a sound card, using my onboard right now, not bad 4.1, but want a dedicated board. Which one to buy, prolly about $150 max.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I recommend that you wait until after the new Audigy cards come out before you make your purchase (but if you can't wait that long then go with the Philips AE).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Audigy will be out soon. It will take at least 2-3 months before we even know what all the problems with it are. And there will be problems, there always are with Creative. And if the performance outweighs the problems then we consider a purchase. But instead of waiting for months just for Creative to prove that not much has changed, get the Acoustic Edge and be happy with it!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
OR you could get the Philips Seismic Edge if you don't need S/PDIF input. I believe the only difference between the Philips AE & SE is the SE doesn't have S/PDIF input (and SE is cheaper, of course).

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that the Seismic Edge doesn't come with digital output either or a copy of PowerDVD, that the Acoustic Edge does have.

FatBurger

Illustrious
And the Seismic Edge doesn't do 5.1, just 4 channel surround.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>