Sign in with
Your question

Asus laptop screen wont turn on

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2012 4:27:38 AM

I have recently aquired an Asus G50v laptop from a friend because he said his screen stopped working. Me being a little computer savy figured that maybe the inverter or something simple was the problem so I got it from him and wanted to get some advice before I go buying some parts for it. To explain my problem, when the computer is turned on the screen does nothing, it does not flicker and as far as I can see I dont see anything on the screen even at close inspection. The things I found strange is when I popped the bottom cover off, the blue wire going from the heat sink fan to the motherboard looked as though it had been cut, so naturally i spliced the two wires and connected them and turned the laptop back on and the fan no longer worked (it worked when the wires were seperated). The other thing I thought was strange was when you pressed the power button (regardless of the blue wire problem) the lights all turned on and the laptop powered up for about 2 seconds then it turned off by itself .... a few seconds went by and then it would power back on by itself and would stay on..... Hmm if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!
June 15, 2012 4:54:03 AM

phantome1 said:
I have recently aquired an Asus G50v laptop from a friend because he said his screen stopped working. Me being a little computer savy figured that maybe the inverter or something simple was the problem so I got it from him and wanted to get some advice before I go buying some parts for it. To explain my problem, when the computer is turned on the screen does nothing, it does not flicker and as far as I can see I dont see anything on the screen even at close inspection. The things I found strange is when I popped the bottom cover off, the blue wire going from the heat sink fan to the motherboard looked as though it had been cut, so naturally i spliced the two wires and connected them and turned the laptop back on and the fan no longer worked (it worked when the wires were seperated). The other thing I thought was strange was when you pressed the power button (regardless of the blue wire problem) the lights all turned on and the laptop powered up for about 2 seconds then it turned off by itself .... a few seconds went by and then it would power back on by itself and would stay on..... Hmm if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!

Also thought I would add, I cant seem to get it to connect to an outside monitor :/ 
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
June 15, 2012 5:24:07 AM

i would check to see that the ram and cpu are seated. I would check to see if there a repair guild online or a service guild..if this were a desktop the power up and then down then on..is when a mb is trying to set the ram speed at boot from a faield overclock or ram that not 100 percent ok for a mb..so at boot up it trying to set the ram speed. if there a cmos clear button or jumper i would try and use it...might be your friend tried to flash the mb and it failed. i wouold also check the output of the ac adptor if it to low the laptop mb may not be able to post.
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 11:07:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ok well i took apart the whole thing looking for anything that looked faulty and had no luck. I unplugged the cmos battery and that did nothing, re-seated the cpu (nothing), re-seated the ram (nothing). Some other things I was thinking about is it only does the power on then off then on thing when its plugged in. When its not plugged in it does the power on then off .... and stays off. Also I tried to hook it up to a monitor and that didnt work. Could the screen itself just be bad? If it were the inverter I would probably still be able to at least see something on the screen if only faintly at least right? Also I am missing a couple screws from the bottom of the laptop could they have something to do with a problem, I heard that some screws are copper sensitive or something and if removed the computer wont work or something. One last thing I would add is the kid I got it from said he asked his other friends dad (who supposidly is a comoputer genius) and his responce was that something probably needed to be re-sadered on the graphics card??? idk....
m
l
June 16, 2012 8:23:03 PM

Sorry to double post but I am at the point where I have been told that it is most likely the MB. Due to the fact that it doesnt make any sounds when starting up, it starts then shuts off (on batter) and starts shuts down then starts and stays on (plugged in). Does anyone think that it sounds like a faulty MB? If it really is the MB i dont have a problem spending around 200 to get a new one. I feel very confident I could replace my current one, I would just like to hear everyone elses oppinions on whether or not you think its a MB issue...
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
June 17, 2012 1:06:38 AM

sounds like a mb issue. i would look on ebay for a used board or see if there online places that give you credit for your old one.
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:17:31 AM

smorizio said:
sounds like a mb issue. i would look on ebay for a used board or see if there online places that give you credit for your old one.

ok well I found a board that came out of a g60 model and the guy said he believes it should work, its only $90 too which is alot cheaper than the ones I found on ebay. Can anyone confirm this? It looks EXACTLY the same so I know it will physically fit I just hope it works all around. I guess worst case scenario I can resale it for a little profit but I have my fingers crossed it will work.
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
June 27, 2012 3:48:54 AM

look at the service part number on your mb and online. if they match or asus had the other mb as a sub part then yes you can use it.
m
l
!