Amd 6770m power play issue? 12.4? (HP dv6) Crappy performance

bocajbee

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hello.

I'm going to make this short and sweet. A while after buying my Hp dv6 with an amd 6770m gpu I decided to update the drivers to the guru 3d 12.4 mobility (64 bit) ones.
Now these drivers where amazing for running mass effect 3. I could run it at 50-60fps on the highest settings at a decent resolution but BF3 had the "Display driver has stopped working and has recovered issue"

I went out of my way in am attempt to fix this issue, and this is where it gets fuzzy. I don't remember what I did but now with the 12.4 drivers (And all drivers before that too I think) My gpu doesn't perform better when plugged in to an external power supply like it used to.

Like before when I was un plugged I got 30-60 fps with an average of 40 but when plugged in I got 60. But now I just get the the former and when I plug and unplug the power supply in mid game it makes no difference whatsoever. It's like the gpu thinks that it's not plugged in.

I have no idea what is causing this and I have tried Everything to fix it. I even resorted to a system restore but that didn't help.

Oh and If I swith the graphics to fixed mode in the BIOS and change any power play settings there my ganme drops down to 4fps.

And in msi afterburner I can't see or adjust the voltage or power limit. It's like the gpu is running off space magic or something.

Help!

Hi there

This is pretty typical behaviour when installing custom drivers for mobile GPUs. Mobile GPUs are OEM components and thus identically branded cards from two different manufacturers may have slight differences which makes custom drivers incompatible with some or all of them.

It's extremely annoying when OEMs let video drivers become months or even years out of date and installing custom drivers can mean a loss of functionality such as mobile GPU switching and power saving. Unfortunately these functions are added in by the OEM and it is their responsibility to maintain them, not the chip manufacturer.

Some mobile chips are compatible with the generic mobility driver maintained by AMD but most are not. You can run the utility below to find out

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

If they are not compatible with the generic drivers you should revert to the last release maintained by HP

Most mobile GPUs do not have programmable VRMs and thus the voltage or power limit cannot be changed

bocajbee

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks.

But this doesn't explain why (The power saving worked before) me3 would run fine at while plugged in before (with 12.4 drivers) and drop down to a lower fps before.

:/

*Confused face*

GPUs draw a lot of power, so much so that were they run at full power while on battery it would actually damage the battery. To prevent this the mobility chips automatically downclocks and lower their operating voltage to conserve power when not plugged in. There are both software and hardware components to this power control and the custom drivers might not be setup right to deal with the card's internal power management. Reverting might fix the issue.

Also take a look at Window's power management settings, it can do a bunch of nasty stuff to the PCIe link speed amongst other things

bocajbee

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Agh!

I can confirm that the same problem is still happening even with STOCK hp drivers.

Also if you set to plugged in to "Power saving" the fps is lower when plugged in vs on battery"

So There isn't a problem with the power play function as far as I think the GPU isn't getting all the power it did before :/

Why?

bocajbee

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Yeah I have already done that 2 times with hp recovery manager.

It reinstalled windows and the stock drivers.

No change.

Is this a hardware problem?

And my recovery d drive is 'nearly full' even though its nearly empty :/

:(

George Bollas

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

the problem is that you havent updated windows from windows update. when you do your graphics problems will dissapear. been there trust me