Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remote Shutdown Issues

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 8, 2011 10:40:21 AM

I have one computer and two laptops on my network, two running windows 7 home and one running vista. The vista computer is connected to the router via an ethernet cable and the two windows 7 laptops are wireless. When i try to shutdown the vista computer from one of the windows 7 computers it says one of two things: 'Access Denied (5)' or 'failed to connect to registry'
Please help
THANKS IN ADVANCE :) 

More about : remote shutdown issues

a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2011 11:12:55 AM



Networking computers together doesn't give you remote control over them. You need to turn the Vista system off from its own Start button.

August 11, 2011 12:30:00 AM

what are you using to attempt to shutdown the Vista PC?
Related resources
August 11, 2011 9:19:57 AM

Saga Lout said:


Networking computers together doesn't give you remote control over them. You need to turn the Vista system off from its own Start button.


WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! I WANT TO REMOTLEY SHUTDOWN THE VISTA PC FROM MY WINDOWS 7 LAPTOP!!!
August 11, 2011 9:22:02 AM

astralbaby said:
what are you using to attempt to shutdown the Vista PC?

Cmd, shutdown -i (Only if necessary), shutdown -m \\
August 11, 2011 9:28:44 AM

I will use any recommended programs as long as they are safe and don't have to be installed on the vista PC.
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2011 1:02:33 PM

curly fries said:
WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! I WANT TO REMOTLEY SHUTDOWN THE VISTA PC FROM MY WINDOWS 7 LAPTOP!!!




No need to shout, sonny - if you don't like the advice just ignore it - you're the one with the problem here.

So you don't want to install anything on the Vista machine - is that because the owner might notice it?


August 11, 2011 1:05:29 PM

Saga Lout said:


No need to shout, sonny - if you don't like the advice just ignore it - you're the one with the problem here.

So you don't want to install anything on the Vista machine - is that because the owner might notice it?


Well i don't want to because of that reason and because he might see me do it.
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2011 2:38:21 PM



And for which precise reason I wasn't about to be precise in my advice. Forcing a shutdown on another person's system while they're working and with unsaved data might seem fun but in a working environment, it isn't clever and it isn't funny.

Anyway, since you've got so far, try your command again and this time, name the computer after the two \\. There are other switches - one to warn to save files and another to force programme closure. the \i switch should bring up a GUI doalig box for you to specify which box to target.



August 11, 2011 2:41:23 PM

Saga Lout said:


And for which precise reason I wasn't about to be precise in my advice. Forcing a shutdown on another person's system while they're working and with unsaved data might seem fun but in a working environment, it isn't clever and it isn't funny.

Anyway, since you've got so far, try your command again and this time, name the computer after the two \\. There are other switches - one to warn to save files and another to force programme closure. the \i switch should bring up a GUI doalig box for you to specify which box to target.



I am not at work i am at home.
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2011 2:53:27 PM



One more thought - you have to be an administrator in both systems or be using the Administrator account in one so long as the other has the same name for the system Administrator. Vista's is hidden by defauot so that could be the problem. Try calling the Command Prompt straight from the c:\windows\system32\cmd file, thus elevating it to Admin level.


August 13, 2011 11:58:17 AM

Saga Lout said:


One more thought - you have to be an administrator in both systems or be using the Administrator account in one so long as the other has the same name for the system Administrator. Vista's is hidden by default so that could be the problem. Try calling the Command Prompt straight from the c:\windows\system32\cmd file, thus elevating it to Admin level.


Still got access denied
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2011 5:42:12 PM

[#0005ff]

Seems to me you have to get to that Vista machine and gie yourself an Admin account with the same name and password as in your own system.

[/0005ff]

August 15, 2011 9:59:49 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]

Seems to me you have to get to that Vista machine and gie yourself an Admin account with the same name and password as in your own system.

{/0005ff]

Is there any chance that i don't have to do that?
August 20, 2011 1:31:13 AM

curly fries said:
Is there any chance that i don't have to do that?


no. you need either "the" Admin account, or an account with admin privileges.
!