curly fries

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I have one computer and two laptops on my network, two running windows 7 home and one running vista. The vista computer is connected to the router via an ethernet cable and the two windows 7 laptops are wireless. When i try to shutdown the vista computer from one of the windows 7 computers it says one of two things: 'Access Denied (5)' or 'failed to connect to registry'
Please help
THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

curly fries

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! I WANT TO REMOTLEY SHUTDOWN THE VISTA PC FROM MY WINDOWS 7 LAPTOP!!!

No need to shout, sonny - if you don't like the advice just ignore it - you're the one with the problem here.

So you don't want to install anything on the Vista machine - is that because the owner might notice it?

curly fries

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Well i don't want to because of that reason and because he might see me do it.

And for which precise reason I wasn't about to be precise in my advice. Forcing a shutdown on another person's system while they're working and with unsaved data might seem fun but in a working environment, it isn't clever and it isn't funny.

Anyway, since you've got so far, try your command again and this time, name the computer after the two \\. There are other switches - one to warn to save files and another to force programme closure. the \i switch should bring up a GUI doalig box for you to specify which box to target.

curly fries

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I am not at work i am at home.

One more thought - you have to be an administrator in both systems or be using the Administrator account in one so long as the other has the same name for the system Administrator. Vista's is hidden by defauot so that could be the problem. Try calling the Command Prompt straight from the c:\windows\system32\cmd file, thus elevating it to Admin level.

curly fries

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Still got access denied

curly fries

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Is there any chance that i don't have to do that?

bdubs85

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

no. you need either "the" Admin account, or an account with admin privileges.