Your question

Eyefinity Freezing HD7970

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2012 5:33:56 AM

Hello--

I've just recently rebuilt my machine with a new motherboard. On my last MoBo, I had no issues running Eyefinity across my three monitors. However, even with a fresh install and the latest drivers, I can't seem to play more than a minute or two without the game locking. The same games play flawlessly in single monitor mode.

My setup:
Asus M5A97
AMD FX-8120 125w 3.1ghz
HIS 7970 stock settings, 12.4 driver
GSkill Ripjaw 1066 8gb DDR3
Hitachi 2TB internal
One Samsung Syncmaster PX2370
Two AOC e2243Fwk
Win7 Pro x64

The last mobo I had was a Biostar A880gz--it had severe issues with USB ports and I ended up just scrapping it in lieu of the Asus board. After replacing the physical hardware, I did a complete wipe and re-install of Windows 7 Pro x64.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-TehCurry

UPDATE:
Still no luck, but I did finally catch an error message.
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."

More about : eyefinity freezing hd7970

June 15, 2012 12:08:56 PM

One of the new beta CCC 12.6 fixes is the sudden freeze and BSOD when using Eyefinty, but your problem is the "Driver stopped....".

This may a simple problem and you'll get past it easily, Install the latest WinInstaller, .NetFrameWork, C++ from Microsoft website.

Then Express uninstall all your AMD drivers and install the latest CCC 12.6 Beta.
m
l
June 16, 2012 4:01:37 AM

ilysaml said:
One of the new beta CCC 12.6 fixes is the sudden freeze and BSOD when using Eyefinty, but your problem is the "Driver stopped....".

This may a simple problem and you'll get past it easily, Install the latest WinInstaller, .NetFrameWork, C++ from Microsoft website.

Then Express uninstall all your AMD drivers and install the latest CCC 12.6 Beta.

Hey ilysaml--

I did everything recommended and now it works--Left 4 Dead 2 still froze up in one instance, but I was running it absolutely maxed out across all three monitors rather than recommended (or rational) settings. It also won't work if I try and do anything to overclock it--I'm not convinced it's a driver failure at that point though, or if it's just a cheap (so to speak) card.

12.6 allows me to play the games--I prefer performance over appearance, so I'm happy. I play on acceptable settings and get 50-60 FPS.

Thank you for your help.

-TehCurry
m
l
June 16, 2012 4:07:35 AM

You still get the Driver Problem?
m
l
!