Tags:
  • Compatibility
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2012 2:14:27 PM

Hello,
Im quering about compatibility between specific MB, CPU and Grafic Card.
1. MB with 3.0 PCie Expansion slot;
2. CPU 2nd Generaton Core i7 processor;
3. Grafic Nvidia 3.0 PCie card.
The MB says in its Notes: "PCIe 3.0 speed is supported by Intel® 3rd generation Core™ processors."
The question is: Is the Nvidia 3.0 PCie Grafic Card compatible together with that MB and CPU? My question comes because of the description in the notes, sice it says that the PCIe 3.0 is only supported by a 3rd generation Core processor and Im choosing a 2nd generation.
Thank you in advance to all that can help me.

More about : compatibility specific cpu grafic card

a c 169 V Motherboard
a c 129 à CPUs
December 20, 2012 2:27:23 PM

Welcome to Tom's ardware Forums,
The PCIe standards are backward compatible so a PCIe3.0 slot that does not have an Ivy Bridge processor will simply act as a PCIe 2.0 slot. Since most current graphics cards are unable to saturate the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0, there shouldn't even be any problems there. The motherboard notation is simply reminding you (or making you aware) that you will not get PCIe 3.0 through-put speeds from your graphics card (even if it has that capability). Nothing really to worry about.
December 20, 2012 2:29:40 PM

C12Friedman said:
Welcome to Tom's ardware Forums,
The PCIe standards are backward compatible so a PCIe3.0 slot that does not have an Ivy Bridge processor will simply act as a PCIe 2.0 slot. Since most current graphics cards are unable to saturate the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0, there shouldn't even be any problems there. The motherboard notation is simply reminding you (or making you aware) that you will not get PCIe 3.0 through-put speeds from your graphics card (even if it has that capability). Nothing really to worry about.

That's what I was thinking. Thank you my friend.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2013 5:59:14 PM

Perhaps if you give us more details of your building we could help you more.
!