PSU and GPU

Hello,
Im building my own pc soon. I just wondered if my PSU needs a PCI-E connector to go into the graphics card. Or if you just have a connector that powers various bits on the Motherboard. My gpu is a Radeon 7750.
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. It depends on the 7750. Some of them do, and some of them dont. If it doesnt, you just put it in the motherboard, and presto!
  2. Thanks!
  3. Only the highly overclocked models require a 6pin connector. 7770 uses twice as much power so it does need a 6pin connector.

All modern psu's have at least one 6pin connector. If yours doesn't, you just use the molex adaptor that comes with the video card (if the card requires a 6pin)
  4. geekapproved said:
    Only the highly overclocked models require a 6pin connector. 7770 uses twice as much power so it does need a 6pin connector.

All modern psu's have at least one 6pin connector. If yours doesn't, you just use the molex adaptor that comes with the video card (if the card requires a 6pin)

Ok i did some research and please disapprove/approve. So radeon 7750 does not need a connector going directly into it from the PSU. The psu has a 20+4 pin connector, that goes into the motherboard. 20 of these pins will just go into the motherboard and do whatever. But the other 4 are used to power the Radeon 7750 (Graphics Card) Am i correct?
    Thanks
  5. The other 4 are for motherboards that DO require 24 pins, like so:

There is also sometimes another 4-pin auxiliary connector that also goes onto the motherboard, like so:

Neither of these would be used in a situation to power the graphics card. Either way, the 7750 does not need a power connector.
  6. I just hope it's not a cheap power supply, mind telling me the make and model?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs PCI Express Graphics