Will PhenomII 975 o/c 4ghz bottleneck hd7950?

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I'm sure I'm fine, but I wondering if anyone knows if my Phenom II 975 with a small overclock to 4ghz will be ok with a HD 7950 without bottleneck. I know I should get intel but money has been tight this year. I'm lucky enough to be getting a Hd 7950. My HD 5850 just don't cut it anymore. It was a good card though.

socialfox

Distinguished
4 ghz with that processor, I'd say chances are slim. Depends on the game really, like if its CPU bound or more to the GPU. Either way no need to worry about the bottlenecking.

socialfox

Distinguished
Just out of curiosity...did you buy the 975 recently? I can't seem to find any of the high end Phenom II x4's and I've been searching for a few months....I had to settle with the 955 BE.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

I overclocked it a while ago and 4ghz was the only stable o/c I got. I'm a noob when it comes to o/c. Thanks for message. I didn't fancy buying a new processor. I've got 6 kids and Christmas is killing me!

socialfox

Distinguished

Just remember, its the thought that matters in the present, not the monetary value ;)

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

I got it around 10 months ago. I just tried looking for you and your right! None!Where are they? Just out of interest have you o/c it? What did you reach? I'll have a search for one for you.

socialfox

Distinguished

I had mine overclocked to 4 ghz with a voltage of 1.45. I turned it back to stock since my motherboard is not the best for overclocking. In fact, its for a budget build without oc'ing.