Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tuesday Morning Down Time, or Appreciating Goldshire

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 12, 2005 6:27:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

When I have time I like to play WoW in the morning before I go to work.
Since I started playing, Tuesday mornings (WoW USA maintenance down
time) were kind of annoying but also kind of good in a way, because I
ended up using that time to pay bills and whatnot.

Well this morning I took the opportunity to sneak on to Guild Wars (I
say 'sneak' because my wife wanted me to wait until we were both ready
to check it out together). Nice graphics, not as much initial
character customization as WoW (fewer classes, one race), seems cool so
far but a little disorienting... different control scheme and chat
interface, etc.

I just wanted to make one observation: I always thought the noob areas
in World of Warcraft were spastic (Goldshire especially), but I was
wrong. The starting city of Guild Wars (Ascalon?) takes the cake.
Half the players seem to do nothing but /dance while the other half run
around trying to extort (not beg) other players for money. Sheesh.
Arenanet were prescient indeed to allow you to hire NPC henchmen.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 12, 2005 11:36:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Josh Mayfield wrote:
> When I have time I like to play WoW in the morning before I go to
> work. Since I started playing, Tuesday mornings (WoW USA maintenance
> down time) were kind of annoying but also kind of good in a way,
> because I ended up using that time to pay bills and whatnot.
>
> Well this morning I took the opportunity to sneak on to Guild Wars (I
> say 'sneak' because my wife wanted me to wait until we were both ready
> to check it out together). Nice graphics, not as much initial
> character customization as WoW (fewer classes, one race), seems cool
> so far but a little disorienting... different control scheme and chat
> interface, etc.
>
> I just wanted to make one observation: I always thought the noob
> areas in World of Warcraft were spastic (Goldshire especially), but I
> was wrong. The starting city of Guild Wars (Ascalon?) takes the cake.
> Half the players seem to do nothing but /dance while the other half
> run around trying to extort (not beg) other players for money.
> Sheesh. Arenanet were prescient indeed to allow you to hire NPC
> henchmen.

I'd have to agree. I'm even less impressed with the newbies in GW than I am
with WoW newbies. It's really starting to make me pine for EQ. I think
part of GW's problem is that they aren't charging the monthly fee. That's
going to attract a larger portion of your less mature audiance. I'm waiting
to see what happens when the other shoe drops and they realize that there
really is no such thing as a free lunch.

Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
July 13, 2005 6:50:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

> I think part of GW's problem is that they aren't charging the monthly fee.
> That's going to attract a larger portion of your less mature audiance.
> I'm waiting to see what happens when the other shoe drops and they realize
> that there really is no such thing as a free lunch.

Guild Wars costs next to nothing to run as compared to a true MMORPG (hence
no need for monthly fee). Charging monthly fee for guild wars would be like
Blizard charging a monthly fee for battle.net.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 13, 2005 12:44:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

G wrote:
>> I think part of GW's problem is that they aren't charging the
>> monthly fee. That's going to attract a larger portion of your less
>> mature audiance. I'm waiting to see what happens when the other shoe
>> drops and they
>> realize that there really is no such thing as a free lunch.
>
> Guild Wars costs next to nothing to run as compared to a true MMORPG
> (hence no need for monthly fee). Charging monthly fee for guild wars
> would be like Blizard charging a monthly fee for battle.net.

Is the entire game client-side, then? Do the servers do nothing?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 15, 2005 4:32:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:44:17 -0400, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com>
wrote:

>G wrote:
>>> I think part of GW's problem is that they aren't charging the
>>> monthly fee. That's going to attract a larger portion of your less
>>> mature audiance. I'm waiting to see what happens when the other shoe
>>> drops and they
>>> realize that there really is no such thing as a free lunch.
>>
>> Guild Wars costs next to nothing to run as compared to a true MMORPG
>> (hence no need for monthly fee). Charging monthly fee for guild wars
>> would be like Blizard charging a monthly fee for battle.net.
>
>Is the entire game client-side, then? Do the servers do nothing?
>

I think you'll find that the battlenet servers do more than "nothing".
!