Automated Maplist Reload

I run a script that generates a maplist through cron and places it on
the game server. I am having problems getting the game to automatically
pick it up without manual interviention. Is there a way (via automated
script) to have the game server reload the map list?

Thanks
Tweedle
6 answers Last reply
More about automated maplist reload

    That's a good question. I would like to know also.

    P3

    In article <yBY8e.10207$Qu2.1207@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
    tweedle@nospamisysgroup.com says...
    > I run a script that generates a maplist through cron and places it on
    > the game server. I am having problems getting the game to automatically
    > pick it up without manual interviention. Is there a way (via automated
    > script) to have the game server reload the map list?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tweedle

    well, as far as i know, you need to restart the server...

    i have a few ideas, first tho, are you running bfsmd? if not, what
    manager? if no manager, i think it would be quit easy to create a script
    to stop/start the server. get back with me and i'll help you out.

    also, if you're running bfsmd, you know there's a cron for it as well?
    it's available in the remote manager and you can setup different map
    lists, etc.

    /CF

    Colonel_Flagg wrote:
    > In article <yBY8e.10207$Qu2.1207@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
    > tweedle@nospamisysgroup.com says...
    >
    >>I run a script that generates a maplist through cron and places it on
    >>the game server. I am having problems getting the game to automatically
    >>pick it up without manual interviention. Is there a way (via automated
    >>script) to have the game server reload the map list?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Tweedle
    >>

    > well, as far as i know, you need to restart the server...
    >
    > i have a few ideas, first tho, are you running bfsmd? if not, what
    > manager? if no manager, i think it would be quit easy to create a script
    > to stop/start the server. get back with me and i'll help you out.
    >
    > also, if you're running bfsmd, you know there's a cron for it as well?
    > it's available in the remote manager and you can setup different map
    > lists, etc.
    >

    > /CF

    I am running bfsmd. The scheduling in the gui seems to want specific
    dates. Whereas, we play every Tuesday, so every Tuesday morning, I
    would like the maplist to use the one that is downloaded, then Wednesday
    morning, put the old list back in.

    bsfmd -daemon works fine from a script, but start.sh seems to want to
    keep ahold of my terminal and not give back the prompt.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Tweedle wrote:
    > Colonel_Flagg wrote:
    >
    >> In article <yBY8e.10207$Qu2.1207@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
    >> tweedle@nospamisysgroup.com says...
    >>
    >>> I run a script that generates a maplist through cron and places it on
    >>> the game server. I am having problems getting the game to
    >>> automatically pick it up without manual interviention. Is there a
    >>> way (via automated script) to have the game server reload the map list?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Tweedle
    >>>

    >> well, as far as i know, you need to restart the server...
    >>
    >> i have a few ideas, first tho, are you running bfsmd? if not, what
    >> manager? if no manager, i think it would be quit easy to create a
    >> script to stop/start the server. get back with me and i'll help you out.
    >>
    >> also, if you're running bfsmd, you know there's a cron for it as well?
    >> it's available in the remote manager and you can setup different map
    >> lists, etc.
    >>

    >> /CF
    >>

    > I am running bfsmd. The scheduling in the gui seems to want specific
    > dates. Whereas, we play every Tuesday, so every Tuesday morning, I
    > would like the maplist to use the one that is downloaded, then Wednesday
    > morning, put the old list back in.
    >
    > bsfmd -daemon works fine from a script, but start.sh seems to want to
    > keep ahold of my terminal and not give back the prompt.

    I just figured it out.

    The key is not running start.sh.

    Change startgame.sh to just call:
    /usr/bin/bfsmd -daemon -start -restart

    the -start starts the game in the background.

    However, here are a few other things that needed changed... here is the meat of the script

    bin_dir=/usr/local/games/bf1942
    cd $bin_dir/mods/bf1942/settings/
    # Notice: bfsmd pulls servermaplist.con and creates the maplist.con each time you start it.
    /bin/cp tuesdaymaplist.con servermaplist.con
    /bin/cp tuesdayservermanager.con servermanager.con
    /bin/cp tuesdayservermanager.con serversettings.con
    /bin/cp tuesdayautoexec.con autoexec.conf
    killall bfsmd
    sleep 2
    killall -9 bfsmd
    sleep 2 # Was seeing some timing issues
    cd $bin_dir
    ../startgame.sh

    Enjoy
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    In article <7p89e.10954$Qu2.8073@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
    tweedle@REMOVE-NOSPAM.isysgroup.com says...
    > Tweedle wrote:
    > > Colonel_Flagg wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <yBY8e.10207$Qu2.1207@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
    > >> tweedle@nospamisysgroup.com says...

    > >> well, as far as i know, you need to restart the server...
    > >>
    > >> i have a few ideas, first tho, are you running bfsmd? if not, what
    > >> manager? if no manager, i think it would be quit easy to create a
    > >> script to stop/start the server. get back with me and i'll help you out.
    > >>
    > >> also, if you're running bfsmd, you know there's a cron for it as well?
    > >> it's available in the remote manager and you can setup different map
    > >> lists, etc.
    > >>

    > >> /CF
    > >>

    > > I am running bfsmd. The scheduling in the gui seems to want specific
    > > dates. Whereas, we play every Tuesday, so every Tuesday morning, I
    > > would like the maplist to use the one that is downloaded, then Wednesday
    > > morning, put the old list back in.
    > >
    > > bsfmd -daemon works fine from a script, but start.sh seems to want to
    > > keep ahold of my terminal and not give back the prompt.
    >
    > I just figured it out.
    >
    > The key is not running start.sh.
    >
    > Change startgame.sh to just call:
    > /usr/bin/bfsmd -daemon -start -restart
    >
    > the -start starts the game in the background.
    >
    > However, here are a few other things that needed changed... here is the meat of the script
    >
    > bin_dir=/usr/local/games/bf1942
    > cd $bin_dir/mods/bf1942/settings/
    > # Notice: bfsmd pulls servermaplist.con and creates the maplist.con each time you start it.
    > /bin/cp tuesdaymaplist.con servermaplist.con
    > /bin/cp tuesdayservermanager.con servermanager.con
    > /bin/cp tuesdayservermanager.con serversettings.con
    > /bin/cp tuesdayautoexec.con autoexec.conf
    > killall bfsmd
    > sleep 2
    > killall -9 bfsmd
    > sleep 2 # Was seeing some timing issues
    > cd $bin_dir
    > ./startgame.sh
    >

    > Enjoy

    cool. that coupled with what i was thinking should prove to be a neat
    little script. perhaps i'll get around to exploring that some day.

    now then, something i've had an issue with....

    anyone seen any trouble with remotely capturing screenshots of other
    players lately?

    /CF

Games Servers Video Games