How implement "open folder containing" in context menu?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

After doing a serach with Windows Explorer, I can right click on a
file and see an option near the top of the context menu which says
"Open Folder Containing".

If I take the option then I open a folder which contains the file.

I would like to use this feature but I can't see how it is
implemented. Is it done by a registry key?
5 answers Last reply
More about implement open folder containing context menu
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    There is a neat little program called Context Edit that will help you with
    this. You can find it at PC Magazine website

    Pavel

    "Bill Woods" <woods_b@emercom.com> wrote in message
    > After doing a serach with Windows Explorer, I can right click on a
    > file and see an option near the top of the context menu which says
    > "Open Folder Containing".
    >
    > If I take the option then I open a folder which contains the file.
    >
    > I would like to use this feature but I can't see how it is
    > implemented. Is it done by a registry key?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I got the program Context Edit (by PC Mag) but it does not seem to
    help what I am trying to do.

    If you recall I want to be able to copy the feature which lets me
    select a file from Win Explorer's search results and then be able to
    open the folder containing the file.

    I want to know exactly what the actual command is to do this. I can
    implement it as a context menu item myself but I don't know what
    command to use.

    Thank you for any help.

    On Tue 10 May 2005 19:49:29, Pavel wrote:

    > There is a neat little program called Context Edit that will
    > help you with this. You can find it at PC Magazine website

    > "Bill Woods" <woods_b@emercom.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> After doing a serach with Windows Explorer, I can right click
    >> on a file and see an option near the top of the context menu
    >> which says "Open Folder Containing".
    >>
    >> If I take the option then I open a folder which contains the
    >> file.
    >>
    >> I would like to use this feature but I can't see how it is
    >> implemented. Is it done by a registry key?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Pavel rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

    > Black Baptist,
    >
    > The version on the FTP.SAC.SK is version 1.1 with outh the Installer. The
    > version on the PC Mag site is 1.2. It may not be much diffrent from the
    > version 1.1 but the Installer is important to many people since they may
    not
    > know how or where to install the program.

    1.1 doesn't need an installer you just double click the .exe no matter where
    it's located.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I do understand that you can just double click on it just as you can on many
    other programs. The only problem is that since there is no installer to
    place this program in the usual place (Program Files) and no entry is
    created in Start/Program Files, the average user will have to keep it
    someplace where the program can be found again and that becomes a problem
    with more than few such programs when they are stored on desktop and/or
    other places other than Program Files directory.

    --
    Pavel

    "Black Baptist" <pray@the.church.com> wrote in message
    > Pavel rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >
    >> Black Baptist,
    >>
    >> The version on the FTP.SAC.SK is version 1.1 with outh the Installer. The
    >> version on the PC Mag site is 1.2. It may not be much diffrent from the
    >> version 1.1 but the Installer is important to many people since they may
    > not
    >> know how or where to install the program.
    >>

    > 1.1 doesn't need an installer you just double click the .exe no matter
    > where
    > it's located.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Pavel rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

    > I do understand that you can just double click on it just as you can on
    many
    > other programs. The only problem is that since there is no installer to
    > place this program in the usual place (Program Files) and no entry is
    > created in Start/Program Files, the average user will have to keep it
    > someplace where the program can be found again and that becomes a problem
    > with more than few such programs when they are stored on desktop and/or
    > other places other than Program Files directory.

    Yeap, I put it in C:\Utils with other non installers.

Configuration Windows Explorer Microsoft Customization Windows XP