How to check a graphics card is new and not a refurb?

lemming3k

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I've just ordered a very well priced GPU from a less well known company that was advertised as new - I'd like to know how to check it really is new and not a refurb! I'm covered on the purchase so it seemed worth a shot but obviously I don't want a card that's been used and fixed, even if they sometimes are really carefully done.

I think my last one was replaced with a shoddy refurb and it was just as bad as the original.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Visual inspection is the only way to go, I'm afraid. Does it look new? Are there any scratches? Does it look like it's been mounted in a computer already? Has the package been opened before? Usually there are some seals on the box and/or on the anti-static bag the card is in. If they are damaged or broken, you know someone has been messing around with the card.

Good luck, mate! :)

Many times cards resold as new are not really refurbished. They are returns from people who say they got a bad card, when actually the problem was them and not the card. They are tested and if they work properly, they are repacked and sold as new. They should be marked as such, Frys is one place that routinely does this, as does Newegg. They mark the package or advertise that the part is returned or refurbed, and offer somewhat of a discount on these parts.
But many unscrupulous vendors will not mark as refurbed or returned merchandise. If you are worried that your part may be one of these, you should probably change who buy from.
Reputable dealers don't do this.

lemming3k

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Thanks guys, it's from amazon marketplace so I will inspect it carefully and test it thoroughly. I guess even with seemingly reputable companies you never know what they might do and all companies start small so they could turn out to be great.