Will a 550w PSU be enough for this build?

itsthesebbe

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi there, in the next week I'm going to build my first computer and I'd like to know if the power supply will be enough to handle it. My specs are:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
seagate barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
Zalman Z11 Plus case
xfx pro 550w core edition
Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE

Also, I might overclock my cpu with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Will my XFX 550W also be enough for that?
Thanks in advance!

For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack the appropriate Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The XFX 550W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) (P1-550S-XXB9), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition.

There is more than ample spare +12 Volt rail capacity to handle any overclocking of the CPU and GPU you may want to perform.

lokii_0

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Go to: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com - they have a power consumption graph which will recommend a minimum wattage based on your configuration.
According to the above link, without overclocking you need a minimum of 327W; I didn't mess with the overclocking tabs, but you can do so if you want to.

itsthesebbe

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Great answer! Thank you very much :D!