Should I upgrade to i5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosshippopotamus

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
About 6 months ago i built a budget gaming computer. It has a 560 ti and i3, with 8gb RAM. Would it be worth it to upgrade to an i5? Would i get a noticeable performance increase on games like Skyrim, Far Cry 3, etc.?

Solution
G

if you have the money, get a GTX 670 and deal with any bottleneck an i3 will cause in a game like BF3 multiplayer; in other games i have doubts it will happen at all such as FC3. (from the previous link posted:)
CPU-scaling.png

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Depends which i5 you get. You should get the high end i5's and you will definitely notice a difference in performance when it comes to FPS etc. Best for gaming would be to get an i7 3770K and you'll be set :)

G

NO.

i just went and got an i5 instead of a 7950 when i had the money because i figured it would get bottle necked by an i3 in some games. well since then work slowed down and i had to fix my van. so instead of an i3/7950 i sit here with a i5 and 570 i picked up off of ebay for $150 and kicking myself for not sticking with my plan; i am sure my frame rates and settings would be better.

with that said:
i do believe i did get a ~3% - 5% increase in crysis 2 and a little bit in metro 2033. nothing to write home about. i would suggest getting a better gpu and see if the i3 bottlenecks it. (edit: if at all)

+1 to this. While the i5 is an excellent recommendation for somebody with a really old CPU (or no CPU), it's important to consider what's already in use. In this case, you already have a very capable CPU, so unless you can sell it for a good price, I'd stick with it. Stepping up to an i5 isn't gonna do much when the i3 won't be holding back your GPU.

G

if you have the money, get a GTX 670 and deal with any bottleneck an i3 will cause in a game like BF3 multiplayer; in other games i have doubts it will happen at all such as FC3. (from the previous link posted:)
CPU-scaling.png

Solution
G

put up with, accept, don't let it bother you . . until you get an i5.

(edit: in FC3 you would get a better FPS with a 670 than you would with a i5 and 660ti but in a more cpu dependent game like BF3 multiplayer the i3 would get a bigger load and start to limit the 670)

Status
Not open for further replies.