Jumpy Cursor

I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
caffein rush -- jigging around.

How can I settle it down?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net
5 answers Last reply
More about jumpy cursor

    <*(((><{ wrote:
    > I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
    > caffein rush -- jigging around.
    >
    > How can I settle it down?

    "Like a fish out of water"?

    You mean your mouse pointer, correct? Not your cursor (which is the bar
    used when typing)...

    If so, I would do the following..

    If a wireless mouse, change the batteries and use the "connect" buttons to
    synch the base and mouse together again.
    If a wired mouse (optical/laser) then clean the surface/change the surface
    it is sitting on.

    Also - check for a later driver, install if necessary and check the settings
    for acceleration.

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

    I mean the cursor -- it happens with the pointer and with the I-beam,
    depending on which application or window is active. Just jitters
    around.

    I use a pretty fast acceleration and such, but none of those settings
    have changed recently. I did clean the mouse and surface, but it
    still jitters and jiggles around.

    It's an optical mouse and pad, both bought a week ago. No problems
    until today. I don't know anything about drivers. No software in the
    box. I just plugged it in. Where do I find a better chauffer?

    <*((((><{
    Fishy@Ocean.Net

    In the last exciting episode on Tue, 10 May 2005 15:16:06 -0500,
    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

    |<*(((><{ wrote:
    |> I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
    |> caffein rush -- jigging around.
    |>
    |> How can I settle it down?

    |"Like a fish out of water"?

    |You mean your mouse pointer, correct? Not your cursor (which is the bar
    |used when typing)...
    |
    |If so, I would do the following..
    |
    |If a wireless mouse, change the batteries and use the "connect" buttons to
    |synch the base and mouse together again.
    |If a wired mouse (optical/laser) then clean the surface/change the surface
    |it is sitting on.
    |
    |Also - check for a later driver, install if necessary and check the settings
    |for acceleration.

    |--

    <*(((><{ wrote:
    > I mean the cursor -- it happens with the pointer and with the I-beam,
    > depending on which application or window is active. Just jitters
    > around.
    >
    > I use a pretty fast acceleration and such, but none of those settings
    > have changed recently. I did clean the mouse and surface, but it
    > still jitters and jiggles around.
    >
    > It's an optical mouse and pad, both bought a week ago. No problems
    > until today. I don't know anything about drivers. No software in the
    > box. I just plugged it in. Where do I find a better chauffer?

    Depends on the manufacturer of the mouse.. Go to their web page and search
    for the driver for download there.

    --
    --

    Shenan Stanley Wrote:
    > *((({ wrote:-
    > I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
    > caffein rush -- jigging around.
    >
    > How can I settle it down?-
    >
    > "Like a fish out of water"?
    >
    > You mean your mouse pointer, correct? Not your cursor (which is the
    > bar
    > used when typing)...
    >
    > If so, I would do the following..
    >
    > If a wireless mouse, change the batteries and use the "connect" buttons
    > synch the base and mouse together again.
    > If a wired mouse (optical/laser) then clean the surface/change the
    > surface
    > it is sitting on.
    >
    > Also - check for a later driver, install if necessary and check the
    > settings
    > for acceleration.
    >
    > ---
    > =- Shenan -=
    > =- MS MVP -=-
    > --
    > The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    > suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
    > are the one ultimately responsible for your
    > actions/problems/solutions.
    > Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
    > compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
    > your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not
    > them lightly.

    I'm not going to be any help -- I'm just going to say that I came here
    because I'm an XP Professional user with a jerky pointer problem
    looking for help, so when either of us gets help, we'll tell the other!
    :)

    --
    AllanA
  5. Likewise, I have a jumpy cursor. I posted a thread on it in the XP forum: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242333-45-windows-jumpy-mouse

    In short, its not the drivers as I reformatted my computer with the factory defaults (which worked for 4 years) and it doesn't work. Its not the mouse because I tried a PS/2 mouse and a USB mouse. Both optical and ball.

    I did find that in the windows environment I can enable mouse trails (and scroll them to almost non-existant) and it seems to fix the problem. Though its still buggy in programs without a mouse trail.

    Im thinking it has to be hardware at this point given the reformat...but I dunno what part of hardware would leave the computer running fine but the mouse pointer jumpy. Also note, if I draw in paint the lines draw completely smooth even though the cursor is jumpy.

    Very bazaar. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured my findings may be relevant to someone searching for it like I did.

Configuration Cursor Microsoft Customization Windows XP