user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
caffein rush -- jigging around.

How can I settle it down?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

<*(((><{ wrote:
> I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
> caffein rush -- jigging around.
>
> How can I settle it down?

"Like a fish out of water"?

You mean your mouse pointer, correct? Not your cursor (which is the bar
used when typing)...

If so, I would do the following..

If a wireless mouse, change the batteries and use the "connect" buttons to
synch the base and mouse together again.
If a wired mouse (optical/laser) then clean the surface/change the surface
it is sitting on.

Also - check for a later driver, install if necessary and check the settings
for acceleration.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I mean the cursor -- it happens with the pointer and with the I-beam,
depending on which application or window is active. Just jitters
around.

I use a pretty fast acceleration and such, but none of those settings
have changed recently. I did clean the mouse and surface, but it
still jitters and jiggles around.

It's an optical mouse and pad, both bought a week ago. No problems
until today. I don't know anything about drivers. No software in the
box. I just plugged it in. Where do I find a better chauffer?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

In the last exciting episode on Tue, 10 May 2005 15:16:06 -0500,
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

|<*(((><{ wrote:
|> I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
|> caffein rush -- jigging around.
|>
|> How can I settle it down?

|"Like a fish out of water"?

|You mean your mouse pointer, correct? Not your cursor (which is the bar
|used when typing)...
|
|If so, I would do the following..
|
|If a wireless mouse, change the batteries and use the "connect" buttons to
|synch the base and mouse together again.
|If a wired mouse (optical/laser) then clean the surface/change the surface
|it is sitting on.
|
|Also - check for a later driver, install if necessary and check the settings
|for acceleration.

|--

<*(((><{ wrote:
> I mean the cursor -- it happens with the pointer and with the I-beam,
> depending on which application or window is active. Just jitters
> around.
>
> I use a pretty fast acceleration and such, but none of those settings
> have changed recently. I did clean the mouse and surface, but it
> still jitters and jiggles around.
>
> It's an optical mouse and pad, both bought a week ago. No problems
> until today. I don't know anything about drivers. No software in the
> box. I just plugged it in. Where do I find a better chauffer?

Depends on the manufacturer of the mouse.. Go to their web page and search
for the driver for download there.

--
--

Shenan Stanley Wrote:
> *((({ wrote:-
> I'm using XP Home SP 1. Suddenly, my cursor is jumpy. It's like a
> caffein rush -- jigging around.
>
> How can I settle it down?-
>
> "Like a fish out of water"?
>
> You mean your mouse pointer, correct? Not your cursor (which is the
> bar
> used when typing)...
>
> If so, I would do the following..
>
> If a wireless mouse, change the batteries and use the "connect" buttons
> synch the base and mouse together again.
> If a wired mouse (optical/laser) then clean the surface/change the
> surface
> it is sitting on.
>
> Also - check for a later driver, install if necessary and check the
> settings
> for acceleration.
>
> ---
> =- Shenan -=
> =- MS MVP -=-
> --
> The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
> suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
> are the one ultimately responsible for your
> actions/problems/solutions.
> Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
> compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
> your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not
> them lightly.

I'm not going to be any help -- I'm just going to say that I came here
because I'm an XP Professional user with a jerky pointer problem
looking for help, so when either of us gets help, we'll tell the other!
:)

--
AllanA

pRyvvik

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Likewise, I have a jumpy cursor. I posted a thread on it in the XP forum: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242333-45-windows-jumpy-mouse

In short, its not the drivers as I reformatted my computer with the factory defaults (which worked for 4 years) and it doesn't work. Its not the mouse because I tried a PS/2 mouse and a USB mouse. Both optical and ball.

I did find that in the windows environment I can enable mouse trails (and scroll them to almost non-existant) and it seems to fix the problem. Though its still buggy in programs without a mouse trail.

Im thinking it has to be hardware at this point given the reformat...but I dunno what part of hardware would leave the computer running fine but the mouse pointer jumpy. Also note, if I draw in paint the lines draw completely smooth even though the cursor is jumpy.

Very bazaar. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured my findings may be relevant to someone searching for it like I did.