Sign in with
Your question

Testing GPU before new PSU arrives.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2012 1:56:45 PM

hi guys,

it's that time of the decade where i have to upgrade for no logical reason, and i've ordered all the parts of a rig that has me excited like a 6 year old on christmas eve. this is a bit of a weird question.

my new GPU, an ASUS GTX 560Ti, has just arrived before everything else, and it's a friday, so i'm presented with a dilemma (probably just paranoia). i ordered it yesterday afternoon.

i have a 600W PSU on the way, but due to a failure a year ago, i've been running a crap 350W PSU (powering a 9600GT and a Q6600 [stock settings]). i ordered from Amazon as it offered the best price. should i test the GTX on my old rig just so i can confirm to the seller that it works, or can i get away with leaving it til monday (possibly tuesday) when all the parts arrive?

intuition and poor mathematics skills tell me that it just won't work with the GTX's high TDP, or that it could even be risky, but as i haven't used online shopping since 2009, i don't know if it would be ok to wait to confirm or not.
IIRC, the 9600GT used almost exactly 100W less than its replacement (which is around 195W, or so i read). no other PCI cards connected, and just 2x 1GB RAM in there.

any help appreciated, i can reluctantly be patient but as i say i'd feel better knowing that the product works.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 2:09:13 PM

wait for the 600w psu, if you add the gpu there it will probably work at low power causing it to be at really bad performance on any application that you run, and also it is very easy to kill the GPU that way.

9600GT uses almost no power, and the 560 ti requires 2x PCI-E 6 pins cables so it will certainly be a problem
June 15, 2012 2:16:57 PM

you convinced me with the 2x power inputs bit. no way will a generic PSU handle that. i guess i'll appreciate it more without the bottlenecks as well.

i'll just go radio silent until monday, and pass the time by staring at it in awe. thanks for talking me out of something stupid! lol

expect many more posts as every conceivable disaster happens on my new build.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 5:47:03 PM

mrstab said:
you convinced me with the 2x power inputs bit. no way will a generic PSU handle that. i guess i'll appreciate it more without the bottlenecks as well.

i'll just go radio silent until monday, and pass the time by staring at it in awe. thanks for talking me out of something stupid! lol

expect many more posts as every conceivable disaster happens on my new build.

I have nothing technical to add but I know how you feel. I think your analogy of a 6 year old at christmas is spot on! I'm glad i'm not the only one who gets rediculously excited.

Have fun. :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 6:30:48 PM

Think how much better you will feel when the proper parts and assembled together and work!! So much better than trying to convince a seller that what they sent you was defective after you damaged it by using it with non specified components. Think of this a Christmas eve, go out to a bar have a drink, fool around with a woman. Then come home to all your gifts and do it right.
June 15, 2012 6:54:16 PM

i'm suire i'll find something sufficiently deviant to do in the meantime.
what's a "woman"? lol
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2012 3:09:28 PM

Topic for another thread 4 sure.
!