CPU's AMD vs. Intel. Is Intel any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm620

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Solution
The best CPU for games is the i5-3570k which is around $220. It can beat the best AMD CPU in games without any problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

No need to spend money on Core i7 CPUs. The i7-3770k costs more than the i5-3570k since it has Hyper Threading (HT) technology. However, games do not take advantage of HT and over the years benchmarks have shown that HT causes an average of 2% performance drop in games.

Yeah i7 is better, though it's overpriced. Most people choose i5 if it's mainly gaming they're wanting muscle for. Compared to i5, FX8350 will deliver around 10% more performance in non-gaming highly-threaded software. While the i5 will deliver ~15% more speed in games that make use of CPU muscle (closer to 20% gain if you're looking specifically at 1080p).

G

Ive been an AMd fanboy for more than 10 years. Finally I woke up and smelled the bacon last year and got a 2600k and never looked back. Coming from a quad AMD 955 that wouldnt overclock past 3.8 but was a great cpu. Cant compare to the 2600k @ 4.5 And now the 3770k which runs cooler and even faster. Go Intel you wont be disappointed.

sm620

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have an i5, but I have never used an AMD. I was looking at the specs and the AMD looked faster. It makes sence that the price was so cheap if the archetecture's not as good and if the operations per clock cycle aren't as good either.

The best CPU for games is the i5-3570k which is around $220. It can beat the best AMD CPU in games without any problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

No need to spend money on Core i7 CPUs. The i7-3770k costs more than the i5-3570k since it has Hyper Threading (HT) technology. However, games do not take advantage of HT and over the years benchmarks have shown that HT causes an average of 2% performance drop in games.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Usually a bios update.

Look up your manufacturer's website for compatible cpu, they usually list the motherboard bios number needed to be compatible with a given CPU.

sm620

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have a production motherboard and it is hp's bios mess which makes it impossible for me to do anything on it. I'll wait for my next $500 upgrade for my computer. I think I'll take out the motherboard, CPU, RAM cards, and OS all in one go.

Should have probably asked what you already have. Ivy Bridge is barely any faster than Sandy Bridge, the real improvement was in it's integrated graphics (which you won't use anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.