Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build. Advice is welcome.

Tags:
  • Build
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 6, 2012 5:15:47 AM

Take a look at my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dWQA

Is this good. I'm open to criticism. Also is the 560 ti capable of running on a 1080p monitor?

More about : build advice

a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 5:18:28 AM

Looks good, but get an H67 board instead. H77 is meant for IVB.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 5:27:51 AM

Stick with the H77 . Better features than H67

The rosewill challenger case is a junk . Toms gave it an award for being CHEAP , not for being good . Replace with the Antec ONE which is built better and has front USB 3 ports
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you drop to 2 x2 gig of RAM [ which wont hurt gaming performance at all ] and use a slightly cheaper PSU like

OCZ ZS Series 550W 80PLUS Bronze $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can upgrade the graphics card to a Radeon 7850 and that will improve gaming performance
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 5:29:04 AM

What features does the OP need that is better on the H77?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 5:31:41 AM

azeem40 said:
What features does the OP need that is better on the H77?



Since you advised him not to buy one you must know the difference ........or were you guessing ?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 5:32:30 AM

I was using logic and the fact that H77 is an IVB motherboard that happens to be compatible with SB.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 6:37:16 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Stick with the H77 . Better features than H67

The rosewill challenger case is a junk . Toms gave it an award for being CHEAP , not for being good . Replace with the Antec ONE which is built better and has front USB 3 ports
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you drop to 2 x2 gig of RAM [ which wont hurt gaming performance at all ] and use a slightly cheaper PSU like

OCZ ZS Series 550W 80PLUS Bronze $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can upgrade the graphics card to a Radeon 7850 and that will improve gaming performance


So I changed to the 3450 Ivy Bridge CPU, and it says the PSU you gave me is compatible with sandy bridge. Should I still buy it? And since I switch to and ivb the motherboard shouldn't need to change now, correct?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 6:38:58 AM

azeem40 said:
I was using logic and the fact that H77 is an IVB motherboard that happens to be compatible with SB.


Both are socket 1155 motherboards , both are capable of running SB or IB processors
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 6:42:02 AM

That is right for these boards and cpus, but you need a bios update to use z68 with a ivb cpu.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 6:50:24 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Stick with the H77 . Better features than H67

The rosewill challenger case is a junk . Toms gave it an award for being CHEAP , not for being good . Replace with the Antec ONE which is built better and has front USB 3 ports
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...




the challenger isnt junk, it won for a reason:







then performance value relative to sound and temperature it had

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill...

the only reason why in this case the antec lost was due to price at the time.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 6:53:18 AM

dudewitbow said:
the challenger isnt junk, it won for a reason:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/8/258632/original/image001.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/J/F/257307/original/image01.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/9/258633/original/image002.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/J/G/257308/original/image02.png

then performance value relative to sound and temperature it had

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill...

the only reason why in this case the antec lost was due to price at the time.


I think I will go with the Antec though.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 6:53:50 AM

zachmartin1202 said:
So I changed to the 3450 Ivy Bridge CPU, and it says the PSU you gave me is compatible with sandy bridge. Should I still buy it? And since I switch to and ivb the motherboard shouldn't need to change now, correct?



The H77 mb is fine with either processor , and the i5 3450 is a better choice IMO

If you are focused on gaming then the other changes I suggested will make a performance difference you will notice , while changing the cpu probably will not . Game performance is about the graphics card .
In game RAM usage wont be higher than 3 gig ever with current games , and unless you are an nVidia fan the radeon makes more sense if you can fit it in the same budget
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 6:58:30 AM

Outlander_04 said:
The H77 mb is fine with either processor , and the i5 3450 is a better choice IMO

If you are focused on gaming then the other changes I suggested will make a performance difference you will notice , while changing the cpu probably will not . Game performance is about the graphics card .
In game RAM usage wont be higher than 3 gig ever with current games , and unless you are an nVidia fan the radeon makes more sense if you can fit it in the same budget


What PSU do you reccomend with 560ti gpu? In plan to over clock it later. I would like it to be under 80$
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 8:14:32 AM

dudewitbow said:
the challenger isnt junk, it won for a reason:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/8/258632/original/image001.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/J/F/257307/original/image01.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/9/258633/original/image002.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/J/G/257308/original/image02.png

then performance value relative to sound and temperature it had

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill...

the only reason why in this case the antec lost was due to price at the time.


http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill...

"Rosewill wins the value competition (and consequently, our Recommended Buy award). But we can only really sign off on it for buyers who have extremely tight budgets. All but one of the cases we looked at today are made of 0.6 mm or thinner steel and lack the durability (and noise dampening) we prefer for long-term (and daily) use. The one exception, Antec’s Three Hundred is priced beyond the $50 target set forth during the planning stages of this piece. Though many of us have also been accused of being cheap, we’d all gladly pay a few dollars more for a 0.8 mm-thick model."
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 8:23:55 AM

Outlander_04 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill...

"Rosewill wins the value competition (and consequently, our Recommended Buy award). But we can only really sign off on it for buyers who have extremely tight budgets. All but one of the cases we looked at today are made of 0.6 mm or thinner steel and lack the durability (and noise dampening) we prefer for long-term (and daily) use. The one exception, Antec’s Three Hundred is priced beyond the $50 target set forth during the planning stages of this piece. Though many of us have also been accused of being cheap, we’d all gladly pay a few dollars more for a 0.8 mm-thick model."



which they said themselves, they would sign it off for people on tight budgets. the only reason why the antec loss was due to price at the time. It doesn't mean the case is garbage though, as it out performed its competition at the price point. at the time of the testing, it was valued at 40$. Your basically comparing a near 60$ case to something that was 40$. I personally wouldnt buy the challenger at 50$ atm for a few reason(one because it goes on sale all the time, and the other is the U3 version with usb 3.0 is 48$ atm) Sure, it isnt the best case, but for its lower price, its the best case for its class.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 5:20:14 PM

I'm actually quite torn apart between GPUS. Is the 560ti worth the 190, without rebates it's 230. Or should I go with the 7850 for 240? Whichever the outcome is how many watts should I get?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 6:10:38 PM

if you do end up with the 630w rosewill green series psu in question, if you chose the 7850, you will be able to crossfire a second if you chose to(although i don't know why Asus charges so much for an h77 board that only runs 16x/4x doesnt overclock and is only limited to crossfire because of it when competitor boards in the z series can do better at a lower cost(8x/8x crossfire/sli)(i.e extreme4 gen4))
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 7:24:30 PM

dudewitbow said:
if you do end up with the 630w rosewill green series psu in question, if you chose the 7850, you will be able to crossfire a second if you chose to(although i don't know why Asus charges so much for an h77 board that only runs 16x/4x doesnt overclock and is only limited to crossfire because of it when competitor boards in the z series can do better at a lower cost(8x/8x crossfire/sli)(i.e extreme4 gen4))

:o  I'm not too good with computer terms. Could you explain that in simpler terms? And does that mean I don't need a 630w? I think I've settled on the 7850. Here's my build now I think ive got it all http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dYPF
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 7:53:48 PM

you technically dont need a 630w psu for a single cad build(look my my signature for example). the 7850 is an efficient card, with the 630w psu in question, you technically could power 2 7850's together on a motherboard if you wanted to. Though due to motherboard constraints, if you chose that route, your performance will be slightly less than if you had a mobo with 8x/8x pci lanes(cheapest ones that are not micro atx are Biostar tz77xe3 and Asrock Extreme4). Though this path is optional and is only for budget upgrading if you ever wanted to upgrade gpu at a lower cost some time in the future.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 8:06:10 PM

dudewitbow said:
you technically dont need a 630w psu for a single cad build(look my my signature for example). the 7850 is an efficient card, with the 630w psu in question, you technically could power 2 7850's together on a motherboard if you wanted to. Though due to motherboard constraints, if you chose that route, your performance will be slightly less than if you had a mobo with 8x/8x pci lanes(cheapest ones that are not micro atx are Biostar tz77xe3 and Asrock Extreme4). Though this path is optional and is only for budget upgrading if you ever wanted to upgrade gpu at a lower cost some time in the future.


Awesome! But the 630w is less money should I just go with it, because I may oc when i get more money after the build.
m
0
l
!