Sign in with
Your question

Can't see media server in bridged network

Last response: in Networking
August 9, 2011 3:15:49 AM

Hi,

I have a wireless N router (DIR-655) in bridge mode connected to a TWC combo modem/wireless G router. I have Tversity media server running on a computer connected to the TWC, but my PS3 which is connected wirelessly to the TWC combo can't see Tversity. What am I missing? Do I need to forward some port from somewhere? FYI, I'm set-up this way so my N router can deliver full N speed, and my G devices connect to the slower TWC router. Everything sees the internet with no problem. Thanks.

(I edited this original message to correct my set-up description)
(Also, to note that devices connected to the D-link can see Tversity, but devices connected to the TWC cannot see Tversity)
a c 79 F Wireless
August 9, 2011 5:11:32 AM

how are the two devices (dlink and TWC combo) connected to each other?
m
l
August 9, 2011 12:43:02 PM

Emerald said:
how are the two devices (dlink and TWC combo) connected to each other?

The D-link and TWC combo are connected by a cable. They are basically sitting next to each other.

I can ping the ps3 from the computer running Tversity. Also, I ruler out this being a ps3 issue by connecting an N wi-fi bluray player to the TWC, and it no longer sees Tversity. When it is connected to the D-link it sees Tversity with no problem. (FYI, when I say connected here, I mean wirelessly.)

Any ideas?
m
l
Related resources
a c 79 F Wireless
August 9, 2011 4:01:48 PM

is the network cable coming from the TWC connected to the WAN/Internet port or one of the LAN ports?
m
l
August 9, 2011 8:55:01 PM

Emerald said:
is the network cable coming from the TWC connected to the WAN/Internet port or one of the LAN ports?

The TWC is connected to a regular LAN port on the D-link. There is nothing plugged into the WAN port of the D-link. The computer running Tversity is plugged directly into a LAN port of the TWC.

Now that I typed this, it seems strange that both the media server and the PS3 (which can't see it) are both "connected" to the TWC. Only devices going through the D-link see the media server.

I verified my set-up, and it is as I described. Many N devices/computers connected to the D-link wirelessly. The D-link cabled to the TWC from a regular lan port to a regular lan port (the TWC doesn't actually have a port labeled WAN or Internet). The Tversity media server computer cabled to a LAN port on the TWC, and finally, the PS3 connected to the TWC wirelessly.

Does this info help?
(I edited my original message to correct my set-up description)
(Also, to note that devices connected to the D-link can see Tversity, but devices connected to the TWC cannot see Tversity)
m
l
!