Which i5 is better for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoats

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I'm building a new PC and was wondering which of the i5 series was better. I'm stuck between 3570, 3570k, 2500 and 3470.

My build so far is here : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t1uh

My budget is about six hundred and I already have a PSU and a GTX 460 (I will eventually upgrade to a GTX 660)

Any thoughts or advice you can give would be great. Thank you!

Solution
not much choice if you want an OCable CPU on intel's side. i really can't recommend a 2500k this far into the year. no offense, it's still a fine choice, but only if you're living at a place where your choice is limited or it fits perfectly within your tight budget.

if you're not at all a big OCing kinda guy, the 3470 is a good option for the price. at least you saved up a bit to bring your plan to upgrade to a 660 (or maybe more) that much closer.

smoats

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Well I'll mostly use the pc for games like Skyrim, Vindictus, watching HD movies, writing, surfing the net and downloading stuff via Vuze.

But I also don't want to have to upgrade my CPU for a while. So would the 3470 be my best bet or should i spend the extra $15 and get the 2500k?

Just an idea but what is a good GPU for the 3570/K?

Or should I consider something from the i3 line?

Hazle

Distinguished
not much choice if you want an OCable CPU on intel's side. i really can't recommend a 2500k this far into the year. no offense, it's still a fine choice, but only if you're living at a place where your choice is limited or it fits perfectly within your tight budget.

if you're not at all a big OCing kinda guy, the 3470 is a good option for the price. at least you saved up a bit to bring your plan to upgrade to a 660 (or maybe more) that much closer.

Solution

smoats

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

All right 3470 it is! Thank you both for your time!

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
If you want extreme overclocks the i5 2500k is the way to go, it is slower at stock speeds but it has no upper heat threshold and Sandy Bridges are much cooler compared to Ivy when OC'd, meaning you can go up to 5GHz and maybe even higher, whereas Ivy Will stop you cold at around 4.6.

If you want good stock performance the 3570 is good, if you want to save without losing too much performance the 3470 is the best choice IMO, it's the same except slightly slower base clock.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.