Sign in with
Your question

Self build freezes while gaming (several RMAs deep)

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2012 6:08:48 AM

Hey there!

I built my rig originally about a year ago. Around 5-6 months ago, my 890FXA-GD65 fried. I RMA'd it and received another 890FXA-GD65. Unfortunately it took over a month, and some bad things happened to my CPU while waiting. We aren't going to discuss how many pins were bent, we are going to just go to a computer shop and get a new AMD Processor. My original CPU was a Phenom II x6 1100T a bit of a beast. Sadly, by the time I needed a new one, they had stopped making them. Instead, after making sure it was compatible (with latest BIOS, which were pre-installed), I picked up an FX-6100.

Here is where the fun begins. I install the board and processor and power on again finally. I then attempt to play SWTOR with a friend and after about an hour of playing, my computer locks up. I try again, and I pick up a bluescreen, bcc 0x101. Try again, and random restarts. I tried playing AoE3, freezes. I try to pinpoint the problem, reinstalling windows, resetting all of my components, updating all of my drivers, run Memtest, Prime95, Furmark, Driver Verifier, anything to pinpoint it. I end up fed up and try taking my CPU back and exchanging it for a similar model.

Take the new processor home, install it, game, freeze.

So, I send MSI another RMA form.

Ship it out, get a new one in 2 weeks, set up, game, freeze.

Argue with an MSI rep for a week online, try a friend's RAM, HDD, PSU, GPU, checked timings and voltages, install windows 3 more times, call the offices, get an RMA, send it, set it up, game, freeze.

Now we are here. I am planning on arguing with AMD later. Unfortunately as far as I can see, they are not accepting RMA forms at the moment due to their warranty form services being down for maintenance until at least Wednesday.

I am mostly just looking for any possible ideas for things to do while I'm waiting. This issue has essentially persisted for 6 months, and I'm just plain tired of it.

tl : dr - 4 motherboards, 3 CPUs, 2 sets of RAM, 2 HDDs, 2 PSUs, 3 GPUs, 5 installs of Windows, memtest, prime95, furmark, and verifier all tried. Still freezing while gaming

Current Build:

MB - MSI 890FXA-GD65
CPU - AMD FX-6100
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2x)
PSU - HEC Zephyr MX-750
GPU - NVidia 9800 GT 1GB
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, hopefully we can get this under control without having to send it off.

Thank you,
Kal
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 6:48:35 AM

I'd start by replacing the psu with something of higher quality
Corsair , antec make decent well priced parts

and then I'd be looking at cooling . Are you sure you are not using too much TIM on the cpu? Are you sure the case has good air flow?
have you tried installing an alternate OS ?
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:24:19 AM

Thank you for the response, Outlander.

I would like to clarify that my friends component are all different than my own and when I was essentially ripping apart his PC to give mine a heart, kidney, liver, and lung transplant, I did use his Antec PSU and still crashed. As far as cooling goes, I have only had to apply my own thermal compound twice out of the 5 times I placed a CPU on a board, though I can honestly say I believe I used the correct amount, and I like to think that AMD puts the right amount on their heatsinks when they ship them. Airflow: Raidmax Aeolus case with 3 120mm fans (one front intake and 2 top exhaust), with my cables bundled and I hope out of the way. I've also been running Speedfan to keep an eye on my temps, and haven't seen any temps over 50C unless I've been doing burn in testing.

Thanks again,
Kal
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:43:31 AM

Kalimious said:
Hey there!

I built my rig originally about a year ago. Around 5-6 months ago, my 890FXA-GD65 fried. I RMA'd it and received another 890FXA-GD65. Unfortunately it took over a month, and some bad things happened to my CPU while waiting. We aren't going to discuss how many pins were bent, we are going to just go to a computer shop and get a new AMD Processor. My original CPU was a Phenom II x6 1100T a bit of a beast. Sadly, by the time I needed a new one, they had stopped making them. Instead, after making sure it was compatible (with latest BIOS, which were pre-installed), I picked up an FX-6100.

Here is where the fun begins. I install the board and processor and power on again finally. I then attempt to play SWTOR with a friend and after about an hour of playing, my computer locks up. I try again, and I pick up a bluescreen, bcc 0x101. Try again, and random restarts. I tried playing AoE3, freezes. I try to pinpoint the problem, reinstalling windows, resetting all of my components, updating all of my drivers, run Memtest, Prime95, Furmark, Driver Verifier, anything to pinpoint it. I end up fed up and try taking my CPU back and exchanging it for a similar model.

Take the new processor home, install it, game, freeze.

So, I send MSI another RMA form.

Ship it out, get a new one in 2 weeks, set up, game, freeze.

Argue with an MSI rep for a week online, try a friend's RAM, HDD, PSU, GPU, checked timings and voltages, install windows 3 more times, call the offices, get an RMA, send it, set it up, game, freeze.

Now we are here. I am planning on arguing with AMD later. Unfortunately as far as I can see, they are not accepting RMA forms at the moment due to their warranty form services being down for maintenance until at least Wednesday.

I am mostly just looking for any possible ideas for things to do while I'm waiting. This issue has essentially persisted for 6 months, and I'm just plain tired of it.

tl : dr - 4 motherboards, 3 CPUs, 2 sets of RAM, 2 HDDs, 2 PSUs, 3 GPUs, 5 installs of Windows, memtest, prime95, furmark, and verifier all tried. Still freezing while gaming

Current Build:

MB - MSI 890FXA-GD65
CPU - AMD FX-6100
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2x)
PSU - HEC Zephyr MX-750
GPU - NVidia 9800 GT 1GB
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, hopefully we can get this under control without having to send it off.

Thank you,
Kal

well 1st sry 4 my bad english, the only broble u haw is the GPU\video card i haw the same MOBO,CPU,RAM and W7 the 2 diferences are the PSU GS600 corsair and a old GPU 3870(2008 or so) if u just put a ati or amd GPU it will stop freezing aspecialy in games becoz the cipset suports onley ati\amd GPU's (at last dats what the MSI say)
m
l
!