Upgrade to 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimaltheanimal13

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
i bought a laptop through my college with great specs, it has an i5 processor, four gigs of ram, but it came with a 32 bit version of windows 7 installed. do i need to buy a full copy of windows or can i get the upgrade for 64 bit. the upgrade is alot cheaper so that would be sweet! any help is apreciated

Solution

He's not transferring though just changing from 32 bit to 64 bit and the product keys are interchangeable between them.

You'll be fine just downloading the 64 bit version and activating with your current key ( Just make sure you get the same VERSION (ie. Home Premium, PRofessional, Ultimate as Keys for these are not interchangeable !)

caqde

Distinguished
If you are still a student get it at the student price -> https://www.microsoft.com/student/en-us/Deals/default.aspx#fbid=WXuuxzMAJgH

and depending on the school and the program/classes you are enrolled in they may have made deals with microsoft for things like the MSDNAA/Dreamspark that can offer you programs from microsoft at even lower discounts. (MSDNAA/Dreamspark discounts are usually given to students that are enrolled in a computer related course [Programming, Autocad, Web design etc]).

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Nooo, dont buy anything - you can just download a copy of the 64bit install media from digital river and use your existing serial key - even microsoft say the keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions of the same edition i.e. home and home, premium and premium etc...

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

To get your laptop to 64bit it depends if its a OEM licence on the bottom of it. If it does not state that its a 32bit licence you are able to upgrade it to 64bit. The only problem is that you will have to do a clean install of windows to get it to the 64bit. There is no way you can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit without a full reinstall.

danimaltheanimal13

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
What if i download the .iso for 64 bit professional from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

and just use my product key i already have? the sticker says nothing about being a liscense for 32 bit only so it should work correct?

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Yes it should work, as long as the key on the bottom of the laptop matches the software, so if you have a windows 7 processional key then it will only work with windows professional. Also that they key has come from the laptop you are installing windows, its not legal to transfer the key from one laptop/computer to another.

danimaltheanimal13

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

it will be the same laptop though, just 64 bit

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Yeah that will be fine, it might not activate first time, you might have to phone them, but its an automated service, it gets you to type some number in and then spits some number back to you.

He's not transferring though just changing from 32 bit to 64 bit and the product keys are interchangeable between them.

You'll be fine just downloading the 64 bit version and activating with your current key ( Just make sure you get the same VERSION (ie. Home Premium, PRofessional, Ultimate as Keys for these are not interchangeable !)

Solution

Glad it worked like it should and that you found out before you paid MS for another copy --- that extra $ can definitely help pay for the extra RAM !!

Status
Not open for further replies.