Sign in with
Your question

My GTX 670 Is Too Loud

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2012 4:13:11 PM

My GTX 670 sounds like my case has an engine in it, and I've already RMA'd it to find out that this is what it's supposed to sound like. My question is, will sound deadener REALLY help my case from transferring that noise? If so, how much % would you estimate would be reduced.

I've heard of Dynamat and stuff like this.

Also heard of stuff like this.

How much will this increase my temperatures, because my GTX 670 already gets to 80C while gaming.....

More about : gtx 670 loud

June 15, 2012 6:02:57 PM

Quote:
Dynamat is for car audio... not really suitable for a PC.

What model of 670 do you have?

Well I've seen it recommended by someone on Tomshardware for making your PC quieter. I know that it is for car audio.

Also, any GTX 670 from EVGA that is not the FTW version sounds the same. So the basic one, the 4GB one, and the 4GB SC one. I have the 4GB SC one.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 6:22:11 PM

Is it possible you have poor air flow in your case, causing it to run the fans higher than normal or maybe you have too aggressive of a fan profile?

Could you post what the max fan speed it reaches and the temps as well? The problem maybe something more easily fixed.
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 6:24:55 PM

bystander said:
Is it possible you have poor air flow in your case, causing it to run the fans higher than normal or maybe you have too aggressive of a fan profile?

Could you post what the max fan speed it reaches and the temps as well? The problem maybe something more easily fixed.

I know it's nothing wrong with my case. The card idles at 34C which is perfectly normal. I already mentioned it gets to about 80C under load, which is again normal. I have 8 case fans and one of them is dedicated to blowing air in the GPU. It's really not my setup, it's just a terrible cooler. I'm used to not being able to hear my GPU at all. Now I can, and it's the worst thing in the world.

The fan speed is 30% on idle, which is still very audible, and about 50% on load, which is your average 8 cylinder engine.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:25:24 PM

Doesnt EVGA use the reference design? Ive read about issues with fan noise/wine. Under load. Hence my reasoning behind buying the Windforce 3 ;) 
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:26:05 PM

Triton05 said:
Doesnt EVGA use the reference design? Ive read about issues with fan noise/wine. Under load. Hence my reasoning behind buying the Windforce 3 ;) 

Ah, but if you read carefully you'd notice that I have a 4GB version, which only EVGA currently has.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:30:24 PM

Sad day....
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:31:31 PM

You DO have a 4Gb version, but I cannot hear my running under full load. So unless your gaming at higher resolutions then 1080p ;)  the extra 2GB of memory wasnt needed :p 
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:33:39 PM

Triton05 said:
You DO have a 4Gb version, but I cannot hear my running under full load. So unless your gaming at higher resolutions then 1080p ;)  the extra 2GB of memory wasnt needed :p 

Might not be needed, but I wanted it to futureproof my GPU for another several years. If you can't hear yours under load, then your PC is just simply put louder and you are used to it. I know for a fact that my GPU is supposed to sound like this and it's a train compared to my HIS 6950 which I could never hear at all.

So while you might be used to it, I'm used to a dead silent PC that now runs on gasoline.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:33:45 PM

I didnt want to kick him while he was down :|
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:37:41 PM

Triton05 said:
I didnt want to kick him while he was down :|

This is all very funny to me, because when I was asking on this forum a while back about the 680 2GB vs 670 4GB with a 23" and 19" monitor, people were telling me to just go with the 670 4GB and that it will be a lot better.

Now it seems everyone is just bashing on my card and telling me to downgrade.

I had the money, so really I wanted to go big or go home.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:39:15 PM

Quote:
Might not be needed, but I wanted it to futureproof my GPU for another several years. If you can't hear yours under load, then your PC is just simply put louder and you are used to it. I know for a fact that my GPU is supposed to sound like this and it's a train compared to my HIS 6950 which I could never hear at all.

So while you might be used to it, I'm used to a dead silent PC that now runs on gasoline.

I actually run an H60 w/ 18db push pull fans and a Antec Silent PSU. I have NO other case fans.. Open vent on top and sides. I HATE hearing any fans. Which is why I only kept my GTX480 for about 3 months. It sounded like a hair dryer.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:42:02 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...

Sounds more like you have a dodgey fan profile, or the fan it's self may be damaged.

The first 670 I got had the exact same noise, when they sent me a replacement, it still sounds like the first one.

I called them and the guy over the phone said even his was really loud. They are just built like this.

Now I hope you all know I'm exaggerating when I say car engine, it's just that I can hear my GPU motor while gaming sometimes and it's rather disheartening. It whines on some loading screens and such, but apparently it's all normal.

I'm comparing this to a HIS 6950 which wasn't even audible because HIS makes quiet cards, then again, it idled at 54C......
Even at 80% I couldn't hear my 6950, and at 30% I can hear this one, so I'm just not used to it.

The main question still remains how much will deadener actually help my PC quiet down.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:50:40 PM

I loved the preformance of my 480 Recon.. but it was pretty loud and topping at 88-89C on load was a bit frightening at times! even tho I was aware thats how the card was designed lmao ;) 
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:55:15 PM

Earlier this year. Back in Jan. I just swapped it out for my 670 last month.
m
l
a c 622 U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 6:55:48 PM

Time to replace your thermal paste and make sure everything's tight and clean on that card.

Hard to imagine that the GPU fan is that much worse than your 8 case fans.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:59:18 PM

Quote:
Was it a orange sided PCB or a light green?

Black, it was an Asus .. this one >

or you mean the "side" of the PCB? not the finish ? I have no clue.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:26:02 PM

While your little chats are great, I really don't want to talk about other GPU setups.

Also, the card is brand new, it's not time to replace the thermal compound.

Also, I never said they recommended 4GB for JUST my 19", I also have a 23", and want a card that would do 3 23" monitors fine.

You guys are twisting around what I'm saying and going off track.

Point is, will the deadener work?

Thanks.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:30:09 PM

Quote:
Nope, your card will remain noisey, unless you want to fill the card with the stuff..

4GB for both is absurd... LOL

Quote:
unless you want to fill the card with the stuff..

Fill the card with deadener....are you serious? Your advice is very poor, no offense.

And you seem to skim over every reply I post and pick out certain things you find poor to yourself, because I said I wanted a card that would do 1080p on 3 monitors, so please, just stop replying.

No offense, but thank you.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:34:57 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...
Seems you cannot take advice?

Filling your case with sound deadener will create even more heat and whilst doing this will not solve your noisy card issue.

You have fan holes.... even with as much sound deadening you coul dput in there, it will remain loud..

Filling the card.... was a joke..I would RMA and ask for money back or a swap for a different brand.

Well I was told filling it with deadener would let your case stay the same with temps or maybe 1-2C higher if you do it right. I think that possibly it could rid the noise so I'm here to ask. I have already RMA'd, so there's nothing I can do about that except return the card.

....which only EVGA makes so I would have to wait for another 4GB version to come out....
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:36:55 PM

Quote:
Can you not just turn up the sound on your headset or speakers?

Seriously, it seems you are very sensitive to noise.

That's the thing, I don't want to have to compensate for the noise. Buy a loud card, play games louder? I don't follow by that sort of solution.

You can call me sensitive, but like I said before.......I had a near silent PC, and that's what I want.

Really, your advice is rather disheartening and quite frankly I would appreciate if you could just stop replying.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:38:20 PM

Ive been looking up other reviews of your Card xxBobbyxx and they all come in a little louder then a GTX580. Due to it being a SC model, I think they uppped the fan profile to be more aggresive. Which is why its coming in louder then a stock GTX670.

Will the sound deadening work.. maybe *shrug* but the card does blow out the back of the case, and you cannot block that. So no matter what you do around 95% of your case. The 5% in the back you cant block is always going to scream like a banchee.

Is it too late to return the card and get something thats more quite on full load? Like the ASUS TOP or the Gigabyte Windforce 3 ?
Best fo luck.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:41:14 PM

Triton05 said:
Ive been looking up other reviews of your Card xxBobbyxx and they all come in a little louder then a GTX580. Due to it being a SC model, I think they uppped the fan profile to be more aggresive. Which is why its coming in louder then a stock GTX670.

Will the sound deadening work.. maybe *shrug* but the card does blow out the back of the case, and you cannot block that. So no matter what you do around 95% of your case. The 5% in the back you cant block is always going to scream like a banchee.

Is it too late to return the card and get something thats more quite on full load? Like the ASUS TOP or the Gigabyte Windforce 3 ?
Best fo luck.

EVGA had told me all 670's share the same cooler, except for the FTW 2GB version, which uses a full PCB. So to my knowledge, they are all the same except for that one.

As for the 5% of noise in the back, that's not really where I'd say I hear it from. I'm sitting at a desk with my computer at the bottom of it and I can clearly hear it from up here at my keyboard.

I could return it and get a different model, but then I'd have to go back down to a 2GB card, which frankly I had a lot of debate on whether that was enough.

EDIT: I even thought about getting a Radeon 7970 with the 3GB RAM, because I know they have aftermarket coolers, but I'm unsure about it.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:45:23 PM

Ill see if I can find any reliable benches on multi monitor gaming 2GB vs 4GB w/670. The cards pretty powerful. I personally dont think it would have much of an issue running multiple displays with 2GB, but Id like to be able to back that up with some data. Ill post back what I find.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:47:06 PM

Triton05 said:
Ill see if I can find any reliable benches on multi monitor gaming 2GB vs 4GB w/670. The cards pretty powerful. I personally dont think it would have much of an issue running multiple displays with 2GB, but Id like to be able to back that up with some data. Ill post back what I find.

Thanks, if you could find out about fan noise on the FTW version that would be awesome too.

Shoot, if the GTX 680 4GB is quiet I have the money to buy that one instead.
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:55:44 PM

xxbobbyfinxx said:
Thanks, if you could find out about fan noise on the FTW version that would be awesome too.

Shoot, if the GTX 680 4GB is quiet I have the money to buy that one instead.

Found this so far..

Seems to be the quietest 4GB GTX680.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-680-4gb...

Its odd tho, in alot of the benches, the 2GB version preformed a little bit better. But its something to go off of. Its 4GB, and its full load sound is very low in comparison to over models.

Good luck!

If your willing to give a 2GB GTX670 a go, the windforce 3 I have, is very very quiet. Fan speed never exceeds 53% which I never hear anyways lmao! :) 
m
l
June 15, 2012 8:54:36 PM

Triton05 said:
Found this so far..

Seems to be the quietest 4GB GTX680.

Its odd tho, in alot of the benches, the 2GB version preformed a little bit better. But its something to go off of. Its 4GB, and its full load sound is very low in comparison to over models.

Good luck!

If your willing to give a 2GB GTX670 a go, the windforce 3 I have, is very very quiet. Fan speed never exceeds 53% which I never hear anyways lmao! :) 

The ASUS one interested me the most, because it looks the best and ASUS has good products.

I guess the only thing I need to know is how much Vram is needed. I posted a thread about this a while back, but it seems I need to re ask the question.

If I wanted 3 1080p monitors.....would 2GB be enough? Or just barely. If the card goes from Vram to onboard will it lag?
m
l
a c 622 U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 9:00:28 PM

The fan whine on the reference 670's was noted in several reviews that I read. That is not the case with the 680's, which have a different, larger fan (same as the EVGA 670 FTW, by the way).
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22922/7

I suggested thermal paste, even on a new card, because often the factory slathers on way too much. Replacing the thermal paste on a new card generally drops the temps by a few degrees and causes the fans to run that much slower. Just a suggestion, by no means mandatory to fix your issue.

4GB is a waste for a 1080 resolution.
m
l
a c 622 U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 9:38:55 PM

xxbobbyfinxx said:
So should I get the FTW version or an aftermarket brand?

Yes.

I like the FTW for being a 670 chip on a 680 PCB, plus the higher binning of the chips (more stringent testing). Other aftermarket brands are good for keeping the temps cooler, which allow higher turbo boost levels.
m
l
!