Help, free my 2nd HD

G

ok...2nd attempt

Here's my problem:

I've got a p3-500
with a WD 12gig
and a maxtor 61.4 gig

Here is the background: i was having trouble with my primary (WD drive, c:, win98se), and thus in safe mode transfered the rest of my vital data to D: drive)

then i reformatted C:, fixed the partitions on that drive and loaded up millenium edition.

Here is the problem: D drive, the maxtor will not be located in windowsME, It appears in bios, and if i run the maxtor performance tests from DOS it functions their tests, but if i run the same diagnostic from winME it doesnt recognize.

Do i have to fix something with the partition? pretty sure its partition related.

ns|Skibbi9

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Most likely you set the drive up using the Maxblast software that Maxtor provides with the drive when you purchase it. When you reinstalled your primary hard drive it re-wrote the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard drive. When you have Ez Bios controlling your 2nd hard drive in a two drive system you have to make sure that the Ez Bios is installed on both the drives in order to see the 2nd one in the OS.

This is what you'll want to do. First find out if your using it? Boot to the Maxblast software and go into Advanced Options//Ez Bios Setup//and then the drive you want to check. Check the Maxtor hard drive first for Ez Bios. It should say 'Controlled By Ez Bios Enabled' if it's on the hard drive. If that's the case then you'll want to check your original boot drive by doing the same. It's either going to say that Ez Bios isn't installed and to press 'Y' to install or it will say Controlled by Ez Bios disabled/enabled.

What I would recommend if the Ez Bios isn't installed on the original boot drive would be to go back into the Maxtor and highlight where it says 'Controlled by Ez Bios Enabled' and hit enter (this will set it to disabled), then 'Exit Save Changes'. Then go back into the same drive and select 'Uninstall Ez Bios'. You want to make sure you save changes after you disable before uninstalling.

Once you have done that go back into the same drive and it should say Ez Bios is not installed, press 'Y' to install. When you do that it will automatically install to the boot drive (Should anyways) and you should be able to reboot and see the drive in the OS ....

Hope that helps!?!

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

Well i found that
WD : pri-dos partition
and Maxtor : non-dos

so i had to use a few programs to get my stuff back.. and i will repartition and reformat.