Connecting Card to Monitor

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Dont know if this is the correct section, forgive me if its not.

Basically my gpu has a DVI input and my monitor has a HDMI input. Should I get a HMDI to DVI adaptor and then get DVI cable
or
Should I get a cable that has HDMI at one end and a DVI at the other end?

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Sorry, but I did LOL when I read this. Your monitor should have come with a DVI cable and your GPU should have come with HDMI. Either will work as they are both digital. The only difference is if your running 120hz or you want sound to speakers on the monitor.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

My monitor did not come with DVI cable because it doesnt have a DVI input, it didnt even come with a DVI adaptor just a VGA cable, My GPU came with a HDMI and VGA adaptor. So both options would give me the same exact quality?

b1bekgyawali

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
If both Component Consist of HDMI go for a HDMI as HDMI will support both audio and video on same wire.
If not go for a DVI to HDMI (or HDMi to DVI exactly same thing just hold the wire other way round) this would mean you will probably need to join in 3.5 mm jack from your CPU to monitor if your monitor has speakers.

If not any of the above go for a "DVI to VGA" or "HDMI to VGA"

and if nothing else go for a "VGA to VGA"

Good luck whichever you choose

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Lol why are you complicating things. Why would I wanna choose VGA over DVI/HDMI. Why would I do VGA/DVI or VGA/HDMI, one is analogue and other digital.

b1bekgyawali

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

ah!! sry forgot to mention choose from top to bottom hence

HDMI-HDMI :- If possible

Else :- HDMI-DVI

Not any of the above wouldn't matter might as well just go with VGA - VGA

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS